• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

How many Allied POWs found sanctuary with Italian partisans?

Sid Guttridge

How many Allied prisoners of war were being held by Italy in July 1943, and how many of them successfully escaped following Italy's armistice in September?

Many thanks,

Sid.

1089maul

Hi Sid,
I am afraid I cannot answer your question as I have not come across this subject before. However, you maybe interested to learn that there is an excellent book titled The Broken Column. It is a true story of an English submariner whose submarine was sunk. He was captured then escaped. Instead of escaping he went and fought with the Italian partisans! A good read!,
Regards,
Bob M

Attachments

• 7AF61D97-F495-4CE7-910A-E65825CE9395.jpeg
    7AF61D97-F495-4CE7-910A-E65825CE9395.jpeg
    18.4 KB · Views: 959

Sid Guttridge

Hi 1089maul,

Thanks.

I think there were roughly 70,000 Commonwealth POWs, but I am still unclear how many escaped to the Partisans. They certainly numbered in the thousands, as an escape organization hidden in the Vatican City State had a card index with at least 2,000 names.

Cheers,

Sid.