• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Markings of Gruppi Semoventi

Kustosz2137

Hi! I'm seeking for some information about markings used by particular batteries of Gruppi Semoventi 75/18 (DLI - DLXI) that served in Italian army. Informations about their insignia are very inconsistent in the internet and I can't say which are the real ones. I tried to gather some knoweldge from the photos of these vechicles, but it didn't helped too much.
Only thints that I aknoweldged from my research are:
- DLI used variations of black and (propably) white triangles. (1st photo propably shows commander of this Gruppo)

- DLIV used red diamonds, circles, squares and triangles for one of their batteries. (and maybe white ones for another but this is only my speculation)

- DLVI used red rectangles with numbers for one battery. (and propably white circles with numbers for another)
(2nd photo)

- DLVII used names of the old guns. (3rd photo shows Semovente named "Colubrina")

- DLX used big white numbers. (4th photo)

I'm not 100% sure of any of these information, so I'd be happy to hear opinion of someone with wider knoweldge.

Attachments

• semovente1.jpg
    semovente1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 275
  • semovente2.jpg
    semovente2.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 272
  • semovente3.jpg
    semovente3.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 249
  • semovente4.jpg
    semovente4.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 255

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting question. I will need to see what I can find.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have many sources that discuss individual vehicles and markings. Others who have focused their research on vehicles will need to help.

The following is speculation from the few sources I do have.

The color rectangle with the vertical lines is the common system normally seen on Italian armor vehicles. However there as an earlier system that used circles, triangles, and rectangles (slashes). It is possible that once the artillery became equipped with armored vehicles, they adopted that older system to be distinct from the system used by the armored units (or used parts of it).

In the older system:
Circle was the company commander - possibly the gruppo commander for the artillery.
Triangle was the platoon commander - possibly battery commander for the artillery. Triangle point up = 1st battery, down 2nd battery, to the right third battery.
Rectangles (slashes) indicated the vehicle oriented in the same direction as the triangle.

Source is fronte terra series, carri armati 1, p.63.

As I said, this is only speculation and assumes that there was a common system for all armored artillery. From the picture samples you provided, I doubt this is the case. I believe you will find that each unit developed their own system.

Not much I am afraid.

Pista! Jeff

DonCarnage

According to Tallilo brothers:

DLI - two-colour triangles facing downwards. With a white vertical stripe in 2nd battery.
DLII - two-colour triangles facing upwards. The colours are switched in 2nd battery
DLIV - red geometric figures
DLVI - red circles with white numbers and white circles with black numbers. It seems that when the unit switched to two-tone camo it have also changed the markings to rectangles.
DLVII - as per tanks
DLIX - condottieri names int 1st battery and weapons names in 2nd battery
DLX - colour circles with white numbers. Your photo is badly colorised, but you can see the circle around the number.

The markings used depended solely on a gruppo's commander.

Kustosz2137

According to Tallilo brothers:

DLI - two-colour triangles facing downwards. With a white vertical stripe in 2nd battery.
DLII - two-colour triangles facing upwards. The colours are switched in 2nd battery
DLIV - red geometric figures
DLVI - red circles with white numbers and white circles with black numbers. It seems that when the unit switched to two-tone camo it have also changed the markings to rectangles.
DLVII - as per tanks
DLIX - condottieri names int 1st battery and weapons names in 2nd battery
DLX - colour circles with white numbers. Your photo is badly colorised, but you can see the circle around the number.

The markings used depended solely on a gruppo's commander.
After some time again, but just made me curious, who are the Tallilo brothers? I wanted to find something about them in the net, but found nothing.

Kustosz2137

Just found some nice photos of guns from DLVI, seems like in addition to markings on sides there were also numbers at the back.
There is also a Carro Comando with horse(?) emblem in circle instead of number
IMG_20230519_141246.jpg
IMG_20230519_141311.jpg
IMG_20230519_141329.jpg

Kustosz2137

Also I was wondering, is exact meaning of each shape in DLIV known? Were they individual markings for each gun, for sections or something else?

1089maul

Unfortunately, some of my semoventi books are in storage. However, I did find the below photo in Daniele Gugliei’s semoventi Armour Photogallery book. Bob

Attachments

• IMG_2434.jpeg
    IMG_2434.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 133

Kustosz2137

Great! Do you have some more photos of Semoventi from this regiment? I'm mostly interested in DLIV Gruppo (ones with geometric figures at the back of the casemate)