• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Infantrymen of the Air

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Well, after everything previously stated, I sent the book files to Helion yesterday. I know they downloaded them this morning. The book was finished in December, but then some new documents required a new chapter be added. What is in the book:

Preface
Acknowledgements
List of Photographs
List of Maps
Abbreviations – Translations
Introduction
Chapter 1 Castel Benito
Chapter 2 Paracadutisti Libici
Chapter 3 Tarquinia
Chapter 4 Gruppo Mobile «Tonini»
Chapter 5 Esigenza «G»
Chapter 6 Battaglione Carabinieri Paracadutisti
Chapter 7 Grande Unità Paracadutisti
Chapter 8 1º Divisione Paracadutisti
Chapter 9 Operazione «C3»
Chapter 10 Divisione fanteria «Folgore»
Chapter 11 3º Alamein
Chapter 12 Tunisia
Chapter 13 Sicilia e Calabria
Chapter 14 Nord, Sud o Casa?
Conclusion
Appendix I List of Italian Paracadutisti e Aviotrasportabile units
Appendix II Organization of the Libyan Parachute Units
Appendix III Organization of the Italian Parachute Units
Appendix IV Organization of the Italian Airmobile Units
Appendix V Organization of the Regia Aeronautica Parachute Units
Appendix VI Libyan Units Orders of Battle
Appendix VII Folgore Orders of Battle
Appendix VIII La Spezia Orders of Battle
Appendix IX Nembo Orders of Battle
Appendix X Airborne Operations
Appendix XI Transport Aircraft and Weapons
Bibliography
Index

Sixty-five B/W photos, 10 color. 52 color maps.

I have no idea when it will be published. They need to send the proof and then I will need to index the book.

Cleaning/organizing my office today.

Pista! Jeff

Bry

Well, after everything previously stated, I sent the book files to Helion yesterday. I know they downloaded them this morning. The book was finished in December, but then some new documents required a new chapter be added. What is in the book:

Preface
Acknowledgements
List of Photographs
List of Maps
Abbreviations – Translations
Introduction
Chapter 1 Castel Benito
Chapter 2 Paracadutisti Libici
Chapter 3 Tarquinia
Chapter 4 Gruppo Mobile «Tonini»
Chapter 5 Esigenza «G»
Chapter 6 Battaglione Carabinieri Paracadutisti
Chapter 7 Grande Unità Paracadutisti
Chapter 8 1º Divisione Paracadutisti
Chapter 9 Operazione «C3»
Chapter 10 Divisione fanteria «Folgore»
Chapter 11 3º Alamein
Chapter 12 Tunisia
Chapter 13 Sicilia e Calabria
Chapter 14 Nord, Sud o Casa?
Conclusion
Appendix I List of Italian Paracadutisti e Aviotrasportabile units
Appendix II Organization of the Libyan Parachute Units
Appendix III Organization of the Italian Parachute Units
Appendix IV Organization of the Italian Airmobile Units
Appendix V Organization of the Regia Aeronautica Parachute Units
Appendix VI Libyan Units Orders of Battle
Appendix VII Folgore Orders of Battle
Appendix VIII La Spezia Orders of Battle
Appendix IX Nembo Orders of Battle
Appendix X Airborne Operations
Appendix XI Transport Aircraft and Weapons
Bibliography
Index

Sixty-five B/W photos, 10 color. 52 color maps.

I have no idea when it will be published. They need to send the proof and then I will need to index the book.

Cleaning/organizing my office today.

Pista! Jeff

Hi Jeff
I had a few questions about the topics in your book.....I saw the list of topics and was wondering if the last of the chapters...north,south or home.....also covers the history of para units of the CSR (Italian Social Republic) and even if what concerns the Tonini group also includes the history of the Pancano Group..... Thank youin advance
Maurizio

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Maurizio

The book ends with the events of 8-14 September 1943. I am considering a second book covering both the R.S.I. and Co-belligerent forces. I have been collecting sources for that topic.

Gruppo «Pancano» is covered during the Battle of Derna. I discuss my understanding of the origin of the gruppo in a footnote but its story in the book begins on 15 January 1941.

Pista! Jeff

ah OK .... I was wondering why the history of the Italian parachute units after the advent of the RSI is quite difficult to find especially due to the obstructionism made in Italy for at least 60 years after the end of the war .... Thank you... I will wait for your new book on RSI paras
Maurizio

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
InfanytrymenCover.jpg

I should know sometime next week on the likely publication date.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I now see Burtt's C3 book is now scheduled for May.

While I have been waiting for a final timeline for publication, I have added two new maps and some corrections/new material.

Pista! Jeff

Last edited:

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Helion will begin to prep the book for publication in mid-March. The process should move rather quickly once that begins.

I have been using the time to clean-up a few points and add additional research. I have received assistance in gaining a few more UK war diaries to better present the battle at Djebel Abiod. I have also used the additional time to expand my initially brief discussion of the Servizi Aerei Speciali into a new appendix. The more I dig into the S.A.S., the more I believe that command deserves a good history. Civoli's S.A.S. I Servizi Aerei Speciali della Regia Aeronautica 1940–1943 is a good start, but very incomplete.

Pista! Jeff

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
The editor is working on Infantrymen. The hope is to have the first edit done this week and off to the typesetters. I might have the first author review of the book next week. The book could be out for sale by the end of next month.

Pista! Jeff

Last edited:

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I received the 1st proof for the book on Sunday. Working through it this week. A May publication is looking likely.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Finished the proof on Thursday. Book is at 467 pages without the maps and index. 367 pages are text, the remainder are the appendices.

Waiting to see what the next step will be.

Pista! Jeff

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Finished a third edit. Mainly ensuring standardization of terms and format. As this was my first real writing on the Italian military (published work), I needed to decide how to present information. Style of unit identification, where to use italics, ranks, etc. These things changed as I was writing, so needed to go back through to ensure that everything was in accordance with my final decisions.

Organizational work on the index is done, just waiting for the final print proof to add the page numbers. My plan is that everything will be finished by the end of this week (12 May). After that, it is up to Helion when to publish.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I just finished a week of building the index for the book. It is looking likely that the book will be published by the end of this month.

One can hope. Today is my first day in months that I don't have a book deadline to meet. I am not sure what to do. Free time isn't as good as people think.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member

1089maul

Jeff, your book has been preordered! But,,,,,, 10th June??? Is it a sign??? (Italy’s declaration of war?) Bob 😂😂😂

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Serendipity works.... ;)