• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Recent content by 1089maul

1. 1089maul

Strange vessel Venchione

Hi Greg. I have now revisited my books re your question. Unfortunately, it gets more complicated! I attach two photos relating to the names of the vessels you have quoted. I am not sure if this going to help your research. In respect of the Germans getting names wrong all I can say is that In...
  2. 1089maul

Strange vessel Venchione

Hi Greg. Give me a couple of days and I will get back to you! Bob
  3. 1089maul

Photo of RA aircraft with drop tanks in war?

Dili, I am not sure if you are still interested but yesterday I took delivery of a new book on the Macchi fighters. The below photograph which is in it. Whilst the blue fasces emblem is missing, I think I can just make out the RA emblem on the wing. I posted a thread yesterday re the book...
  4. 1089maul

New book on the Macchi fighters.

Good afternoon all! Seems like ages since I put on a posting. I took delivery today of the book shown below. I have only had a quick flick through but feel that it is a must for anyone with an interest in the Regia Aeronautica. The book is big and full of info, pictures and colour drawings. It...
  5. 1089maul

Mac 202 CL-111 Maggoire Andrea Favini

Chris, Sorry for the delay in replying to your question. The below is taken from Ospreys 53rd Stormo. He is mentioned book but only in his commander role. No clue to the number of victories. I hope it helps your research. Regards, Bob
  6. 1089maul

Steel Centurions

Oldwargamer, Welcome to the forum. I totally agree with you in that it is not an easy read. It is why i, like you, took so long to read it. Regards, Bob
  7. 1089maul

SM.79 for sell

Turbulent98, Very interesting. One can’t help think what else lies in the desert waiting to be found. The SM79 wreckage even in its state would make a good memorial! Bob
  8. 1089maul

The Naval war in the Mediterranean 1940-1943 Greene Massignani

Try the below link. You may be able to contact Massignani direct. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Alessandro-Massignani Regards and good luck. Bob
  9. 1089maul

any Italian tank or replica for sale?

Hello lala1 and welcome to the forum. I am very much afraid that you will be disappointed. Very few Italian WW2 tanks survived the war. Those that did are in museums with a very small number in private collections. The only replica Italian tank that I know of is a single WW1 Fiat tank which was...
  10. 1089maul

Steel Centurions

I have now managed to read Steel Centurions which on the whole I found to be interesting and enjoyable. It was not an easy read which resulted in it taking time and caused wear on the book’s soft covers! The sub title to the book is Italian Armoured Formations of the Second World War 1940-1943...
  11. 1089maul

C.A.I. use of Flugplatz Coxide

Jeff, yes to the above. The book is available but I have no idea how detailed it is. All I can find is that the Coxyde airfield was used by Cant Z1007 reconnaissance aircraft during Operation Cinzano. Can’t find anything else. I will leave it to the member of the other forum to look into it...
  12. 1089maul

Jeff, Page 96. The author does mention that the extract is from a book called Coastal Blitz (1992) . Agreed that the names of the CO’s is questionable. Will check the OOB and get back to you if I learn anything. Bob
  13. 1089maul

Evening Jeff. I have had a good look at my Regia Aeronautica books and had come up with nothing. Mention is made of other fields used for emergency landings but are not named. I had just given up when I had another look at Peter Haining’s Chianti Raider’s book and found the below. I don’t have...
  14. 1089maul

Damned Hunchbacks - new book

Afternoon all, My copy of Damned Hunchbacks has arrived. I have had a quick scan through of the book. The format and style of the book is the same as Steel Centurions but around 120 pages shorter. It looks promising although the author seems to be making torpedo claims attributed to the German...
  15. 1089maul

Those dammed Hunchbacks

Jeff, Your post echoes mine dated 4th August including the reading of Steel Centurions which I should finish reading in the next week. I have ordered Damned Hunchbacks and will review it when read. Regards, Bob