• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Coastal Unit Organization?

smac

I'm looking for any information (from squad level on up) on the organization of the coastal units in Sicily in 1943. Were they organized the same as the (non-AS) infantry units? Thanks!

Unfortunately the italian coastal units dont have a fixed organization......you want the theoretical TOE of coastal battalions or what.......????? tell to me......
All the best Maurizio

smac

Thank you for the quick reply Maurizio -- I will take anything I can get! I'm not sure what level of detail you have but I'm interested in the coastal units opposing the US landings in the Gela area. Even a general idea of organization and equipment would be helpful.

Smac
Here a little help ... if some thing unclear writhe me..........
In front of 7th army USA

18.a Brigata costiera (Punta Braccetto to Punta due Rocche)(3.000 soldiers)

The coastal front have weapons pit (two km one to another)

Coastal front-Punta Braccetto to Fiume Acate (distance 26 Km):

-178.o Reggimento costiero (coastal regiment)with:

--501.o battaglione costiero (coastal battalion)(Punta Braccetto-fiume Camerina- distance 7 km)

--389.o battaglione costiero (fiume Camerina-fiume Acate- distance 19 km)

-21.o Gruppo(-) 75/27 with the batteries 47.a, 48.a, 452.a (Casa Strasattata, Càmarina and Punta Braccetto)

-288.a battery 155/36 (a est fiume Acate)

Coastal front fiume Acate to Punta Due Rocche (distance 32 Km):

-134.o Reggimento costiero with:

--429.o battaglione costiero (fiume Acate- torrente Gattano- distance 16 Km)

--384.o battaglione costiero (torrente Gattano-Punta Due Rocche- distance 16 Km)

-21.o Gruppo (-) 75/27 with the battieries 49.a, 330.a batteria (Capo Soprano)

-209.o Gruppo 100/22 (ippomobile) with the batteries 1.a, 2.a e 3.a (Poggiolungo and Monte S. Nicola-Niscemi)

-181.a battery 75/34 (Manfria)

-75.a battery/162.o Gruppo 149/35 (Spinasanta)

-a 149/12 battery (Gela airport garrison)

The brigade have also (mixed to coastal battalions) :

-552.a (at Poggio Lungo),537.a (Scoglitti),616.a (Gela) compagnie (MG coys) mitraglieri GAF with Hq of 112.o battaglione mitraglieri GAF (MG battalion)

-633.a,711.a compagnia mitraglieri GAF (MG coys)

--268.a compagnia anticarro da 47/32 (47/32 AT coy)

--3.o battaglione del 33.o reggimento della divisione di fanteria Livorno (reserve at Butera)

-531.o NAP (antipara detachment)

- LXXIII° gruppo artiglieria della GaF (arty groups ) (Santo Pietro airport garrison)

An also:

On coastal line mixed with coastal regiments

-Coastal batteries of 6° Raggruppamento di C.A. GAF (of Niscemi)

On the nord of Gela:

-CCIX° gruppo 100/22 (ippomobile) with two batteries at Poggio Lungo and another at Monte San Nicola;

Est of Montelungo

-Two batteries (75/27) of XXI° (330.a e 442.a) Group.

At Gela also:

-CDXXIX° battaglione costiero (coastal battalion) with 616.a compagnia della GaF del CXII° mitraglieri (MG coy)

-79.a sezione foto elettricisti (Gela e Capo Soprano)(pionier detachment)

-154.a compagnia mista genio (Gela)(mixed pionier coy),

AT seven Km nord of Gela:

-Comando Difesa fissa Aeroporto 502 (Hq Gela airport garrison)(502 was the italian code for the airport)

--Reparto avieri (airman garrison by foot)

--4° compagnia fucilieri of 501.o battaglione (rifle coy)

-- compagnia comando and 13.a rifle coy of 4.o battaglione/121.o reggimento "Macerata" (Hq coy + 13.a coy 4th battalion of 121 rgt Macerata)

--a 149/12 GAF battery

- 333°, 334° (37/54) and 523° (75/46) AA batteries (22.a Legione MACA)(CCNN AA Legion)

-320° (20/65) AA battery (Regio esercito)

-268° compagnia fucili controcarro S (Solothurn) (AA antitank rifle coy)

-105° compagnia controcarro da 47/32 (105 AT coy -47/32)

-106° compagnia autonoma mortai (mortr coy) (Capo Soprano)

From Niscemi to Scoglitti,

-552° NAP at Poggio Lungo (antipara detachment)

-352° NAP at Montelungo,

-455° NAP at Case Priolo,

-456° NAP at Niscemi,

-457° NAP at Acate,

-458° NAP at Vittoria

-526° NAP at Ponte Olivo

-four AA battery (20/35) of Livorno division

-Carabinieri Detachments

-CCNN detachments

At Niscemi

Gruppo Mobile «E» (Mobile detachment for counterattack)

-1.a compagnia 101.o battaglione carri R/35 (R35 Tank coy)

-2.a compagnia 102.o battaglione controcarri 47/32 (At mobile tank coy)

-4.a compagnia 501.o battaglione costiero (4th coy of 501 coastal bn)

-155.a compagnia motociclisti (motosolo coy)

-9.a batteria 75/18 del III.o gruppo 54.o artiglieria «Napoli» (mobile arty battery)

-1.a sezione 326.a batteria 20 mm. «Assietta»(20mm AA detachment)

All the best
Maurizio

Teorethical TOE of battaglione costiero:
-Comando(Hq)
--two rifle coys (each four rifle platoons, 3 x SMG each)
--two MG coys (each four MG platoons, 3x MG each)
--services
The veichles were extremely rare, truck were max 5 (Light), some moto, some bicycles, also horse wagon (some)
All the best
Maurizio

smac

Thank you again Maurizio. Could you tell me the source for the organization of the battaglione costiero? Do you happen to have any information on the company level or smaller?

My research on SME archives (Rome)..........unfortunately the TOE change time to time and so unit to unit.....an italian hodgepodge.....I never find a universal TOE .........
All the best
Maurizio

junge95

I having hard time searching for battaglione costieri Information in Istria before the armistice. Especially the ones stationed near Pola and nearby. (412 battagglione costieri).
c-386947-1_1 (2).jpg

Unfortunately Pula was a maritime square and the army only contributed to its defense therefore in many years of research unfortunately I was unable to find any data on the coastal battalions that were part of it, the only address I found is that Pula was garrisoned by the 163rd Coastal Infantry Regiment which in turn was in charge of three coastal battalions including the 142nd.....but nothing more...same thing goes for Taranto and Venice of which I know the numbers of the regiments but not those of the battalions....
all the best
Maurizio