• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Italian soldiers and Vehicles in Video games (3rd person)

The all time classic, Forgotten Hope 2:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/forgotten-hope-2
Infantry and tanks featured:
Breda Mod 30
P38
Various Rifles
M11/39
L6/40
M13/40
Semovente 75/18

The fan made Secret weapons has the P40, and IIRC the Bassotto.

Warthunder:
https://warthunder.com/us
Play as aircraft, tanks/wheeled, and soon to be released ships. They are getting ready to release the full Italian tech tree for ground forces. In the meantime you can buy a P40 premium.

World of Tanks, World of Warships and World of Warplanes:
https://worldoftanks.com/?utm_source=global-nav&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=wot-forum
A tech tree of tanks with the P43 and P43bis. There's some fictional vehicles as well.

Armored Warfare:
https://aw.my.com/us
Modern vehicles such as the Centauro, Palmaria Ariete and OF-40 can be found here.

Various phone APP games have some Italian vehicles , I'll try to post a partial list later.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Plenty of bad information on Italian vehicles in those videos.

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Games have sure gotten better since I first played Pong.

Plenty of bad information on Italian vehicles in those videos.
Some of these games change the stats for balancing reasons. As far as the host of the video goes, anything goes. I usually watch them with the sound turned off so I don't have to hear their jibber-jabber.
Here's a video of some infantry fighting FH2:

Forgotten Hope 2 - Siege of Giarabub

I like to play the Tunis map with the Breda M.30:

BTW, this new forum format is excellent. All I have to do is post a link and the video appears.

Some smart phone games that feature Italian units:
Strategy:
World Conqueror lll
Rommel in Africa*
Yugoslavia 1941
Conflict series (better graphics but can only play as one side):
Spanish Civil War
Axis Balkan Campaign
Rommel African Korps

Naval:
Fleet Commander
World War: Battleship
Naval Front Line: Regia Marina

Ground vehicles:
Metal Force has the Draco and there's another game with the Ariete.
Tank Force real tank war online
has the Centauro.

Still haven't found much for 3rd or 1st person WW2 vehicles.

Forgotten Hope 2 is having an Italian Campaign event featuring custom maps. I notice the X-Mas is in there.

1572907731901.png

Thank you.

Modern, air transportable vehicles for Arma:
It's a mod so I'm sure you have to have a copy of the game before you can download.

Saetta

If you like strategy games Men of War: Assault Squad 2 has several mods that feature Italians. One that I played and enjoyed quite a bit was Forgotten Fronts Mod. Here's a fun video:

If you like flight simulators the IL2 franchise has many italian aircraft. The new Battle of Stalingrad series features an accurate model of the MC.202, the predecessor IL2: Cliffs of Dover has a Fiat G.50 and Breda BA.20. There is a mod in the works for a new North African theater which will feature the Mc.202, MC.200, and Fiat CR.42.

Some smart phone games that feature Italian units:
Strategy:
World Conqueror lll
Rommel in Africa*
Yugoslavia 1941
Conflict series (better graphics but can only play as one side):
Spanish Civil War
Axis Balkan Campaign
Rommel African Korps

Naval:
Fleet Commander
World War: Battleship
Naval Front Line: Regia Marina

Ground vehicles:
Metal Force has the Draco and there's another game with the Ariete.
Tank Force real tank war online
has the Centauro.

Still haven't found much for 3rd or 1st person WW2 vehicles.
I ran into 3 more phone apps with Italian units:
1. Age of World Wars is a simple but fun strategy game with a handful of infantry units (bers, alpini, mortar, etc...) and the M13/40. The best feature is the map editor that allows you to create your own scenario. The game is 8 bit retro and very easy to learn.

2.WOT Blitz has been around for awhile and unfortunately only has higher tier tanks ( P43bis, Pantara, Progetto M46?).
I don't have much to say about this game. I would suggest Warthunder PC for its historical accuracy. The P43bis is ok for a paper tank.

3. Battle Tanks Multiplayer: Tank Games Free has rare lower tier L6/40, M11/39, M13/40, & P40 75/34. So far I'm impressed. I've reached the M11/39 without any issues except the 37mm gun mechanics in the game follow the mg turret.

Last edited:
Some pics from Battle Tanks Multi Player:

M11/39 in the garage
1607739449138.png

M11/39 on the way to battle
1607739495362.png

Some maps
1607739539384.png

1607739565983.png

1607739610713.png

There's a couple more maps such as Secret weapon Dora and raid on the Tirpitz.
The competitors at that tier are the R35, H35, BT-2, M13 & L-6. I reached the M13 with ease and I'm working towards the P40. There's a Japanese (Chi-Nu?) tank and Hungarian Toldi III or IV before you reach the P40.

Because of the funky mechanic, I often drive without swinging the turret since the main gun automatically shoots in that direction. Other than that It's a fun, solid game.

Last edited:
Here's some maps and battles I created/recreated for Age of World Wars:

Bardia 1940
1607920100949.png

6 x M13/40s and a handful of MG and riflemen
1607920218473.png

British units and tanks at the top of the map. Matildas on the top right and Cruiser Mk.1 on the top left. British Infantry and Vickers Mgs following behind.
There's nothing historical about the placement of the units. I'm just practicing my scenario building skills.

Tobruk, Operation Crusader:
1607920518256.png

Attack on Sidi Rezegh- Ariete on the left and Cruewell's panzers on the right. British 25pdrs near the airfield with some supply trucks and tanks. I placed a few Italian units near the outskirts of Tobruk to represent the Pavia and British & Commonwealth units in the trench perimeter. I'm thinking I'll add a ridgeline somewhere near the airfield.

I spotted the Semovente 90/53 M41
In a strategy game called "Advanced Military Command" for the Sega Genesis
(1991). It was english translated at a later date.

It's a down load available on my abandon ware:

You can play on smartphone by downloading a genesis emulator from google playstore or similar Apple APP.

To play Italy you have to adjust AI menu in the scenario to make Italy "User" instead of computer.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
One can play with a Semovene 90/53 in World of Tanks. To me, that is a challenge.

No, it wouldn't fit into World of Tanks very well anymore. I haven't played in years but last I heard they trimmed away a lot of the underbrush necessary for tank destroyers of that type to hide in. Players dislike getting hit by vehicles they can't see.

Plus, that game has moved on to more fictitious vehicles than already existed so I doubt it's on anyone's wishlist to be added to the game.

I would recommend Warthunder instead.