• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Carcano M38 & others

Another blast of youtube videos featuring, this time, the Carcano M38:
Forgotten Weapons:
Field shoot with the Shooting Channel:
The M41:
Backyard Ballistics:
The 7.35 version. I believe they went to the Finnish before the war:

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I have been trying to free up some time to post.

Thanks for the videos. I have always believed that the M38 fucile corto was a very good design for a service rifle. It didn't have all the bells and whistles, but was simple to produce and effective for what designed for: as a combat rifle.

The video points out one issue that shooters didn't understand when they tested the rifle: the different bullet diameter. But the video missed the other issue that shooters didn't understand: the different sight picture. In the one video where the shooter is sating the rounds are going high, that is because he is using the wrong sight picture.

jimpickens

I have one that I traded a shotgun for although it doesn't have a bayonet it is in mint condition and shoots great the only trouble I have is finding ammunition for it.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, finding new ammunition is a challenge. I am not sure any company makes it. If you are a pleasure shooter, you might try reloading. I had a Lee hand reloading set for Carcano 6.5 x 52 years ago. I could reload 30-50 rounds in an hour or so. The main challenge was finding the correct diameter bullets.

Edit: it appears Prvi Partizen and Norma still make it. Target Sports USA

Last edited:

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I have fired numerous service weapons from multiple countries in both my military career and as a reenactor. I won't state that the M38 or M91/38 were best service rifles of WW2, but they were quite serviceable and effective. What I appreciated is that they are very handy to use and easy to maintain. The 7.35 is a very good round, while the 6.5 is serviceable.

iac

As you know, the problem w/ getting accuracy with 6.5 Carcano is the standard .264" bullet doesn't work, because the original Italian ammo was .266" !

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
iac

I am not sure I would try that. .268 round nose bullets are available for reloading.

v/r Jeff

iac

.268s are too difficult, and almost dangerous to use in most Carcanos; which weren't even disigned for .268s.

Last edited by a moderator:

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member

iac

Yes the Carcano barrel had deep grooves. But the bullets were ~.266", with an open base, designed to expand into the rifling; almost like a minie ball.
☆Also was my comment on Paper Patching eliminated ?

Last edited:

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
☆Also was my comment on Paper Patching eliminated ?

I started to reply to your post, then realized that I didn't want CS to be a place where individuals can garner reloading/shooting info. Talking about the problems with the period weapons is fine; providing real world solutions beyond the knowledge/skills of the average person (in this case a causal shooter) is beyond the scope of CS. I recognize that you have experience in the shooting world, but I don't wish members to see CS as a place to get such information. Individuals should go to forums where there are numerous experts that can intelligently argue whether a method is safe/valid or not. I should not have replied to that part of your post, but should have immediately deleted it.

That was my error. I apologize for that delay.

I had a message sent to you through the forum explaining my reasons. Did you not receive it?

Please understand that the deletion is not reflective of your knowledge or some power play on my part. The more I thought about the information and the discussion it likely would generate, the more I understood it just wasn't the type of information that CS should be posting. Too many possible issues involved and there are plenty of other forums that routinely handle that type of information/discussion.

If you feel I have overstepped, please feel free to contact Jim.

Pista! Jeff