• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

greece 1940 maps

Sorry even though I know it doesn't have much to do with the main theme but there is by chance someone among you who has some digitized map taken from the Greek official history that shows the Greek deployment at the beginning of the war ... of course scan in legible way ...
Thanks in advance
Maurizio

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Maurizio

Of course this has everything to do with the main topic. It is about the Greek campaign after all. :)

I was the one that attached the scan of the map on AHF. I have a larger scanner here at the office. I will bring the book in to the office tomorrow and see what I can do.

The map actually show the assignment of Greek forces by sector. It doesn't necessarily show the exact location of those forces in each sector. You need to look at the maps covering the detailed operations.

Pista! Jeff

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Maurizio

I finally was able to make some decent scans of the map. I need to put it together.

Pista! Jeff

Dili

I saw that you posted some maps in Axis Forum ,but they haven't enough definition to identify what are the units. Is it possible to increase the resolution?

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
That is what I am working on at this time.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I lack both the skills and the software to put the four scans together as a single map. The .jpg files are too large to load. Here are the four .pdf scans if someone can assemble them.

Attachments

• GreekDispositionsNE.pdf
    216 KB · Views: 608
  • GreekDispositionsNW.pdf
    284.4 KB · Views: 575
  • GreekDispositionsSW.pdf
    236 KB · Views: 536
  • GreekDispositionsSE.pdf
    196.7 KB · Views: 568
I lack both the skills and the software to put the four scans together as a single map. The .jpg files are too large to load. Here are the four .pdf scans if someone can assemble them.
Soooo interesting, soooo good at rendering, thanks also to Dili for the assembly, Jeff can I know where you bought that book ??? I have another book, however, translated and without illustrations and maps which is called ABRIDGED HISTORY OF THE GREEK – ITALIAN AND GREEK – GERMAN WAR 1940–1941 .......
All the best
Maurizio

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Maurizio

I collected the complete set of the Greek official histories from various book dealers in Greece. There are seven volumes on the Greco-Italian War, a volume on the logistics of the war, and a volume on the Greeks in A.S. and Italy.

The Greco-Italo war volumes.

GreekOfficials.JPG

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
The volume on Crete was translated into English.
CreteHellenicStaff.jpg

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
An Abridged History of the Greek-Italian and Greek-German War should have maps and pictures that are taken from the Greek Official history above. My copy has 31 maps and 53 pictures. In fact Map 3 is a reduced version of Diagram 1 posted above (with less details).

GreekAbridgedHistroy.jpg

Dili

Jeff do you got the translation of the map legend?

My guesses:
1-Army, Corps if xxx
2-Division HQ
3-Subunit(left to right) II ii 16 means II batallion of 16 Regiment , ii 2 means 2nd independent Bn?
4 Fortifications
5-?
6-? same icon as 5
7-?
8-?
9-Italian formations

It is curious that some artillery regiments have roman numerals.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Dili

1 - Military Command - Front
2 - Fortress Administration/Headquarters
3 - Static battalions
4 - Covering/Border Sections
5 - Partially mobilized units
6 - Fully mobilized units (note that the key is missing the red stripe on the left side of the symbol)
7 - Peacetime units
8 - Bulgarian deployment
9 - Italian offensive deployment

The markings are the normal (XX for division, III for regiment, etc.)
The Roman numeral units are divisional. The lettered units are corps. The Greek Corps are Α, Β, Γ, Δ, and Ε (A, B, C, D, E).

Pista! Jeff

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
No, these are the units that are manned and in sector in peacetime. If you look at the designations, these are single battalion from regiments. Also note that many of these units are facing Bulgaria, which was the perceived prewar threat to Greece.

The partially mobilized units are the cadre units of the peacetime army. The fully mobilized units are those units that were secretly mobilized as tensions increased with Italy.

Maurizio

I collected the complete set of the Greek official histories from various book dealers in Greece. There are seven volumes on the Greco-Italian War, a volume on the logistics of the war, and a volume on the Greeks in A.S. and Italy.

The Greco-Italo war volumes.

View attachment 551
Yes I understood it happened a bit like the official Italian story ... the first draft had about 80 diagrams and maps while the second had barely 30 but much smaller and not detailed ..... there is only one question maps referring to the Italian offensive in March ????
Maurizio