• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Gruppo « Pancano »

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
This gruppo in mentioned in Arena's I fanti dell'aria p.92, and in his Aquile senza Ali, p.25. This gruppo is mentioned to have arrived at the Derna defenses on 16 Jan. It retreated to Derna prior to the fall of Tobruk, so wasn't part of that defense. I believe it was a gruppo formed to cover the area south of Tobruk as the British advanced. I haven't found any mention of the gruppo in any of my other books.

Any thoughts?

Hi Jeff.

A quick search on Google seems to indicate that they were a company sized unit that were absorbed into Gruppo Mobile Tonini. Which until very recently had been known as Ascari del Cielo. But I can't verify the source. Otherwise, nothing!

Kind regards, David.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
David

Thanks! I searched Google, didn't find anything except what I already had. What is the link?

RE: Gruppo mobile «Tonini». Yes, that is why I am trying to identify « Pancano ». From the various narratives, I am trying to sort out « Pacano » and « Coplani ». I have more information on « Colpani », but it appears at times they both defended the Wadi Bagr. The forces defending the Wadi don't make sense for « Pancano ».

This was a time was everything was being changed and many records were lost. « Tonini » had some bersgalieri, but I assume that those were from the 60ª cp. MC. If « Pancano » was a mobile group ( I believe it was), it also could have been bersaglieri. Was it, in fact, the 60ª? Shear speculation at this point.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
David

Thank you. Yes, I had read that Wiki article. Note that the cite is to an article here on CS.

I am likely chasing a ghost, but I am hoping someone will have some information. What is frustrating is that the officials mention « Pancano » at Derna, but provided nothing on the unit prior to that point. Usually the officials will give you a list of these ad hoc units but no details.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
It appears that the 60ª cp. bersaglieri motocicilisti was part of « Pancano ». Arena in his Aquile senza Ali states "L’apporto dei carri provoca verso le ore 17 un massiccio attacco delle fanterie nella zona di Case Aronne, mai bersaglieri motociclisti dell’ex gruppo « Pancano » respingono bravamente con l’aiuto dei paracadutisti l’assalto degli australiani costringendoli a ripiegare." (p.28) The only motorcycle unit with « Tonini » was the 60ª.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I think I have cracked this. I believe Gruppo «Pancano» was the reconnaissance unit formed for the brigata corazzata speciale. A 9 January directive by Graziani states il nucleo esplorante già ad Ain el Gazala -- una batteria da 20, un plotone motociclisti e 5 carri M11 -- deve perlustrare la strada da Tmimi - Derna per controbattere eventuali infiltrazioni di mezzi meccanizzati e ristarne la avanzata. (La prima offensiva britannico in Africa Settentrionale, p.162). This matches the organization given on p.209 for the unit defending the U. el Bgar. That unit is ordered to withdraw back to the Fattoria Le Grotte and is placed under the command of the parachute battalion on 18 January (p.213). That information matches the movements of gruppo «Pancano» in the other sources. Schizzo 17 (13 January) identifies the unit at Timimi as nucl. espl. brig. cor.

Pista! Jeff