• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

German and Italian Aircraft Carriers of World War II

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
New Osprey book due out May 24, 2022

German and Italian Aircraft Carriers of World War II (New Vanguard) Paperback – by Ryan K. Noppen (Author), Douglas C. Dildy (Author), Paul Wright (Illustrator)

At 48 pages, I don't expect much. Photos and diagrams might make the book worthwhile, but they are covering carriers, seaplane tenders, etc. Given the usual number of photos and color plates, that doesn't leave much space for hard data.

Pista! Jeff

Last edited:

1089maul

Evening all,
I know that this is not related to the above but I have just seen that a new book entitled Macchi C202/C205V in the Combat Aircraft series of books is scheduled to be released in May next year. All I know that it is 96 pages long which is normal for this series of books.

Jeff - just a thought. Would you consider starting a new thread or renaming this thread along the lines of ‘New books?’ I know that I have learnt of new books in the pipeline by being in this forum.

Regards,
Bob

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Bob

I am not sure what you are asking. One of my goals is to have CS as searchable as possible. Since you can't add/change titles on individual posts in a thread, just start a new thread for the new book. If members later purchase a copy, they can comment in that same thread.

Pista! Jeff

DrG

Surely this booklet will provide some gorgeous illustrations, but besides this I don't expect anything more, with regards to Italian aircraft carriers, than what has been written by Michele Cosentino in this two recent articles:
"The quest for an italian aircraft carrier 1922-1939", Warship, 2020;
"The Italian aircraft carrier Aquila", Warship, 2021.

Given that the annual review "Warship" is published by Osprey itself I don't understand why this booklet hasn't been co-authored by Cosentino, who, moreover, is also the author of the almost definitive book "Le portaerei italiane", Albertelli, 2011.

1089maul

This book is available tomorrow. I have ordered it purely out of curiosity together with a book on Macchi 202 and 205 combat units. I am hoping to learn something new Re. The aircraft carriers. Regards, Bob

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
One never knows what a new work will offer. There have been times I have read a book that is very bad, yet found something new that I have never previously read and was able to validate it as true.

1089maul

Hi all,
Books arrived today. Re the aircraft carrier book, I am afraid the the student interested in the Regia Marina, I cannot recommend it unles you have read in absolutely nothing about the Italian carriers. There are 41 pages of texts, photos and diagrams. There are 29 pages devoted to the Kriegsmarine and 12 to the Regia Marina. This sums up the book. I can honestly say that I read the 12 pages quickly and learnt nothing new. Even the photos did not excite me! However, the Macchi 202 and 205 combat units in combat looks much more promising. Regards, Bob

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Disappointed to read this, but not unexpected. A book that addresses the German and Italian WW2 experience with carriers must dig deep into their development and construction, as the lack of any operational history limits what an author can write. Clearly not what happened here. Forty-one pages, not much by any standard.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
While checking the books DrG mentioned, I came across this title: Aircraft Carrier Impero