• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Brescia, De Toro, "Italian Heavy Cruisers: From Trento to Bolzano"

1089maul

Dr G.
Very sad news re Maurizio Brescia. I have some of his books and they are excellent. My copy of the new book is due in two days but alas it will be Christmas gift from my wife so will not be able to look it until Christmas Day! Looking forward to it!
Regards,
Bob

1089maul

Dr G.
Book arrived today and my wife presented it to me as I had a sad face on due to it being a Christmas present and would have to wait. My first impression was disappointment. It is small with only 83 odd pages. The type is double spaced and there are no pictures. The text seems to be very simply written with odd typesetting leaving large gaps between words. There are no chapters. I will reserve judgement and update here after I have read the current book that I am reading.
I assumed that the picture of the book and the cost would made it similar to other Brescia books.
Regards to all,
Bob

DrG

Thank you, I did not expect it to be such a disappointment. The Italian originals are lavishly illustrated, for example. I do hope that at least the text is interesting, but it looks like it's not even a full translation from the originals, besides the quality of the English language employed.

1089maul

Evening all,

I have had a chance to have a quick look at the book. My advice to all is DON’T BUY IT! I can only assume that fluidity and sense has been lost in translation. This is not helped out by the way the text is laid out. There is no substance to this book.

I was going to photograph some of the pages to support what I have said above but will not as I am going to try and return it to Amazon and don’t want to spoil the book in anyway.

What is interesting is that a quick look on the internet indicates that a book with the same title and by the same authors, 280 pages and supported with photographs is scheduled for release in 2023??? Is there two books?

If you at my book below, you will see the name Anthony Cides. His name does not appear on the books scheduled for release in 2023. He may well be the translator.

I hope the above is useful.

Regards,

Bob

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Bob

Which book did you buy? Do you have a picture of the cover?

Pista! Jeff

1089maul

Sorry Jeff, I though I posted a pic of it!
40C8F54C-DD0C-4526-8290-0037DA78234E.jpeg

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I too am wondering what is happening. The link DrG provided goes to the book for pre-order. I am wondering where Bob bought his book.

1089maul

Jeff, I bought the book on Amazon. I am in the process of returning the book! At £29.95 it wasn’t cheap for what I received! Sorry for the delay in replying but the gremlins are stopping me from logging on! Bob

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
No concerns Bob. I just assumed you were busy.

I only asked because I couldn't regionally find a listing for the book you bought. I since have found the listing. Odd that it has the very same cover as the longer book due out next year.

Pista! Jeff

jbroshot

This book (or a version of it) is for sale in the U S Naval Institute 2022 Holiday Catalog for $85.00 (holiday price for members $42.50)

224 pages / 7 2/5 x 9 7/10 / hard cover
ISBN 978-1-168247-871-4
October 2022

Catalog blurb reads, "As befits a technical history, the book is thoroughly illustrated with ship and armament plans, detail drawings and color camouflage schemes, as well as an outstanding collection of photographs".

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Jim

Thanks! USNI shows the book to be published on 15 March 2023. So it is not Bob's mystery book.

Pista! Jeff

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Good news!

1089maul

Aaarrrgggghhhhhhh!!!
Amazon sent me the same fake book!!!
Needless to say I have returned it and told them not send me anymore! The correct books publication date is now the 30th January.
Regards to all,
Bob

1089maul

The book has now been released in UK yesterday. I have purchased a copy through Pen and Sword as I don’t trust Amazon to send me the correct one. I eagerly await its arrival! Regards, Bob

1089maul

Afternoon all. Book arrived today. I am please to say that is in the same format as the authors previous two books in the battleships. A quick scan reveals plenty of photos, diagrams, colour plates and technical data. I am looking forward to be reading this book. Regards, Bob