• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Search results

1. W

Bragadin's Italian Navy at War

I have located a free copy of Bragadin's well known book on the internet. You can find it here: https://archive.org/details/italiannavyinwor00brag/page
  2. W

21st Corps Artillery 1940

I'm curious what artillery this corps had. An October 1, 1940 Italian report lists 66% of its munitions as defective. No doubt, it had 1914 ammunition but I'm wondering if it was using Austro-Hungarian guns or what?
  3. W

Airfield revetments

Aircraft revetments were earthen walls created to protect aircraft on three sides while parked on an airfield. I have found no mention of Italy using revetments and have never found a photo of a revetment on an Italian WW2 airfield (There are several photos of abandoned airfields during...
  4. W

Dispersion Naval Guns

Does anyone have information on the dispersion of any Italian naval guns? It's usually given as either a % of range or as meters/yards at a specific distance.
  5. W

Italian radio sets

I found this website for Army, Air Force and Navy radios used in WW2. Sometimes the range is given. https://www.qsl.net/ik0moz/
  6. W

Consideration to sending Centauro Division to North Africa

I found this source: AUSSME, Diario storico, Ministero della Guerra, Gabinetto, N-2148, 2 and 6 June 1940 It states that the Centauro Division had been approved for transfer from Albania to North Africa but was aborted on this date due to "lack of time". Does anyone know organization and TOE...
  7. W

Arrival of 10º regg. bers

If you can get an accurate landing date of the 10th Bersaglieri in 1940 or any trucks landed in 1940, I'd be appreciative.
  8. W

Bicycles in North Africa

The transition of the Bersaglieri to trucks left a large number of bicycles in Italy that could have been sent to Libya with their solid tires, shock absorbing suspension, and two speeds. Anyone know why they weren't?
  9. W

The 65/17

Found the answer to my question but don't know how to delete the post.
  10. W

The Failed Defense of Bardia, January 3, 1941

I'm interested in the fall of Bardia as both Bardia and Tobruk had nearly identical defenses yet Tobruk did as well with one division as Bardia did with four. I found a book critical of the Italian defense of Bardia claiming only 6,000 men were on the line but with no explanation. I'm aware...
  11. W

I found this Italian military archive

JSTOR has the following article in it's library: JOURNAL ARTICLE The Italian Military Records of the Second World War Silvia Trani, Pier Paolo Battistelli War in History, Vol. 17, No. 3 (July 2010), pp. 333-351 Abstract The paper provides a summary and overview of Italian records related to...
  12. W

RE-INFORCEMENTS LYBIA 1940

After reading a really good discussion here on the TOE of the Italian Army in N.A. on June 10, 1940, I was wondering what was sent between September 1 and the end of December, 1940. What arrived and when? Did Mussolini ever send any trucks?
  13. W

Anti-torpedo nets in Tobruk

I see where the anti-torpedo nets of the San Giorgio successfully intercepted 39 torpedoes over 8 months in Tobruk. Anyone know why the Turbine class destroyers there were hit by torpedoes?
  14. W

Is this web page accurate?

This page shows Italian aircraft squadron transfers. When I used it to determine transfers to Cyrenaica in 1940, I counted up 16 squadrons of Cr. 42's and 12 of Sm.79's before December, 1940. I presume this is in error...
  15. W

Aircraft for September ,1940 invasion of Egypt?

What was the OOB in aircraft September 1940? How many fighters in a squadron?