• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Search results

1. W

Why Graziani choose to motorise a Lybian division instead of AS one?

The original question was why did Graziani choose to motorize a Libyan division over an SA40 division. For which the following information was added: If this is correct, enough trucks (600) existed to motorize one AS40 division. The most likely initial reason for motorizing a Libyan formation...
  2. W

RE-INFORCEMENTS LYBIA 1940

I was hoping so too. Is there a way for me to find their posts? Or for me to contact them? Thanks, Wargames
  3. W

I found this Italian military archive

JSTOR has the following article in it's library: JOURNAL ARTICLE The Italian Military Records of the Second World War Silvia Trani, Pier Paolo Battistelli War in History, Vol. 17, No. 3 (July 2010), pp. 333-351 Abstract The paper provides a summary and overview of Italian records related to...
  4. W

Correct. The Italians were limited by their number of trucks of what could be sent from Tripoli to reach Tenth Army. By my calculations, Italy could supply seven semi-motorized divisions in Tenth Army (I did not include the trucks landed in September for this calculation.). That's enough to...
  5. W

This goes back to my original post. If we agree the defense is designed to avoid being trapped in Egypt and the reserve for the three Libyan "boxes" is 4th Blackshirt at Sidi Baranni and with the "boxes" themselves otherwise to survive on their own as "islands" with Maletti the equivalent of Bir...
  6. W

I would like a separate discussion with you of the defense of Bardia. Should we start a new topic for that?
  7. W

By this description you have also placed Marmarica on the front line. You have also described the Marmarica/Cirene section of the line as "covering the open desert flank... all the way back to Egypt" which, if true, explains 2nd Blackshirt at Sollom. If 2nd B.S. defends Sollom and Marmarica...
  8. W

I regard your map as inaccurate as well as your statement that "Cirene moved to cover Maletti" when Cirene did no such thing. They would have met the 7th R.T.R if they did. Your own map shows two British formations that passed right through the blue circle with neither British attack...
  9. W

Jeff: My congratulations on your well thought out reply. I agree that Cirene is positioned to defend Buq Buq and not Maletti and which would put it on the front line even though it does not look that on the map, so my theory is contradicted there. Also, I agree there are two Blackshirt...
  10. W

Here is my source for Maletti's comment: Journal of Military and Strategic Studies, VOLUME 14, ISSUE 1, FALL 2011, Something is wrong with our army…’ Command, Leadership & Italian Military Failure in the First Libyan Campaign, 1940-41. Dr. Craig Stockings, page 11. It is available on the web...
  11. W

I never used the word "scared". Do not confuse me with those who have called the Italians "cowards". I have no such belief at all. I am letting the facts speak for themselves. Maletti's southwest flank was not only uncovered but had a road leading right to their rear on which they engaged a...
  12. W

I believe this statement is incorrect and all the Blackshirt divisions arrived from Italy. I agree the Libyans were raised locally as colonial troops. But, even if the Blackshirts were raised in Libya, it would have no effect on my post. No regular army Italian troops were placed on the front...
  13. W

JwLesser: Brigadier General Pietro Maletti wrote to his commanding officers seeking to remedy an “undignified hunting for safe positions” file:///C:/Users/Clark/Downloads/58011-Article%20Text-157861-1-10-20120511%20(4).pdf
  14. W

To add my opinion to the others expressed here, I suspect the regular Army SA40 divisions had no desire to invade Egypt whereas the B. S. divisions had arrived and the Libyan divisions were raised specifically for that purpose. I base my comment on three things. First, the December 1940 Italian...
  15. W

Agreed except, I think, the M11/39 was sent in July, 1940. However, I don't have the dates and what was sent after September 1. Whatever you and others can provide I will take. Thanks in advance!
  16. W

Italian Submarine and Convoy Doctrine

This is about my figure as well which amounted to 1.5 reloads for all submarines. This was perceived as a shortage and spreads limited to 1-2 torpedoes. As torpedo production increased, this rule was dropped. It was in place, however, for all of 1940. In reality, no shortage ever occurred or...
  17. W

After reading a really good discussion here on the TOE of the Italian Army in N.A. on June 10, 1940, I was wondering what was sent between September 1 and the end of December, 1940. What arrived and when? Did Mussolini ever send any trucks?
  18. W

WW2 Italian Field Artillery Regiment Organization

I'll try: Using Montanari for Libya: Two battalions (gruppo) 75/18mm (24 guns total) One battalion 100/17 (12 guns total - increased by another 12-105/28 in North Africa in 1942) 2-3 sources will claim 8-100/17 versus 12. The argument works like this: All armies used four gun batteries...
  19. W

Anti-torpedo nets in Tobruk

I see where the anti-torpedo nets of the San Giorgio successfully intercepted 39 torpedoes over 8 months in Tobruk. Anyone know why the Turbine class destroyers there were hit by torpedoes?
  20. W

Is this web page accurate?

This page shows Italian aircraft squadron transfers. When I used it to determine transfers to Cyrenaica in 1940, I counted up 16 squadrons of Cr. 42's and 12 of Sm.79's before December, 1940. I presume this is in error...