• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Search results

1. W

The Failed Defense of Bardia, January 3, 1941

While GaF troops could be on the front line in the absence of regular troops such as Cirene division, they were employed to operate GaF artillery (including 47mm and the 27 coastal defense guns), most such guns being in the rear where the GaF not only had their own guns but their own ammunition...
  2. W

Post 11 would be the wrong place and wrong direction to "escape and find shelter". Cirene division troops were to retreat to the "switch line" to their north. The 12 M.M.G. could not be retreated to post 11, nor could the six anti-tank guns (each requiring nine men to move), and the 2 field guns...
  3. W

Aerial Torpedo Development

In addition, Italian aircraft torpedoes only used a 441 pound (200 kg) warhead. This compares to a 388 pound (176 kg) warhead for British aircraft torpedoes. Lighter torpedoes were used by aircraft. Similarly, Italian submarines used a 595 pound (270 kg) warhead and British submarines 722...
  4. W

As memory serves, they were sent where needed versus assigned to all the stormos. Italy had several different types of bombs (I call them Douhet bombs) but armor piercing (A/P) was not included. They had a 220 pound Semi Armor Piercing (SAP) bomb that could penetrate a destroyer. It would take...
  5. W

Board Wargame creation

I limited myself to North Africa and did not include Crete or Malta (Where the Germans lacked trucks.). North Africa is all about trucks. In 1940, when the Italians didn't have them and 1941 when they did, is a major difference. No trucks means walking. Walking meant you simply walked towards a...
  6. W

Board Wargame creation

I should add that while my games indicate an Italian battalion can inflict 133 casualties, that's using the Breda 37 HMG. The Breda 37 is only used on defense. You can't pack one across the battlefield to attack. That's what the Breda 30 LMG was for and it was a failure (jamming). So when an...
  7. W

Board Wargame creation

Here is my source: Australia in the War of 1939-1945 Series One Army Volume I To Benghazi By Gavin Long Chapter 8
  8. W

Board Wargame creation

Until now, I never calculated damage at the battalion level, as not very useful unless you do a Malta invasion game. Otherwise, attacks were made along a regimental front. If you use 1,000 yard hexes and a range of 1,000 yards for a battalion with a 1,000 yard front, a British attacking unit...
  9. W

There were no Libyan troops in the GaF and no Libyan troops retreated into Bardia.
  10. W

When the British surrounded Bardia in January 1941, how many days of supply did the Italians have in Bardia assuming they did not impose rationing?
  11. W

1940 OB in A.S.

Is the above information available in English? Is there a source on the number of guns available in N.A. in 1940? I recall one on the old forum that provided Army, corps, division, GAF, etc.
  12. W

Board Wargame creation

I came across a British analysis of the range of an Italian infantry battalion, including heavy machineguns and 47mm guns. They concluded the range was 1,000 yards (Why the source used yards is not explained.). Italian artillery only added another 500 yards max due to terrain interfering with...
  13. W

Invasion: Malta

I looked at the game but never bought it. The main obstacle to me is the 600 yard hex size (549 meter) which appears to have been arrived at by the range of the Italian 45mm mortar and the Lee-Enfield rifle. One does need to reduce hex sizes for Malta due to terrain changes, number of roads and...
  14. W

M11/39 tanks landed July 8, 1940

These tanks were landed with trailers. Were they also landed with tow vehicles to pull the trailers? If so, what kind of vehicles were they?
  15. W

Board Wargame creation

In the Battle of the Bulge, the German turn began December 16. Two American divisions moved on December 19 (101st Airborne Division and the 82nd Airborne). If the US turn is December 19, a turn is 3 days (The US turn would end December 21 with 84th Infantry division moving on that day.)...
  16. W

Board Wargame creation

Correction: British troops carried four days of ammunition, another reason I used four day turns. Again, I did find many instances of three days. The British defense of Sollom and Halfaya Pass against the Italian invasion of September 13, 1940 which was conducted by three British battalions, had...
  17. W

Board Wargame creation

And here I thought I invented that. :) On the subject of battalion turn times, if you can find maps or battle descriptions that show the daily positions of the German and British battalions during the Battle for Crete, you should be able to determine the time for the British to react. For...
  18. W

Torpedo attack on Tobruk, July 5, 1940

The 15,000 ton liner, Liguria, was amongst those torpedoed. What troops had she delivered and when?
  19. W

Any idea when the 4 torpedo production figure began? And if it ever increased? If so, when?
  20. W

Naval Mines

I measure mineable waters up to 84 miles ( 135 Km) east of Malta. No limit north, west, or south.