• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Search results

1. W

M11/39 tanks landed July 8, 1940

These tanks were landed with trailers. Were they also landed with tow vehicles to pull the trailers? If so, what kind of vehicles were they?
  2. W

Torpedo attack on Tobruk, July 5, 1940

The 15,000 ton liner, Liguria, was amongst those torpedoed. What troops had she delivered and when?
  3. W

Naval Mines

Anyone know why the Italians laid so few naval mines off Malta? I only count 100 in 1940 yet they scored two hits.
  4. W

Libyan Divisions June 10, 1940

Where were the two Libyan divisions located on June 10? Were they in 5th Army or 10th? If any in 5th, when were they shipped to Cyrenaica and where did they land? Thanks!
  5. W

Regia Aeronautica bombing Malta 1940

The book "Hurricanes over Malta" by Brian Cull repeatedly mentions incoming bomber strikes from Sicily that simply turned around and went back to Sicily just before reaching the coast of Malta. Does anyone know the purpose of this maneuver?
  6. W

10th Bersaglieri Regiment

I asked CHATgpt when the 10th Bersaglieri landed in Libya and it gave September 1940 with no specific day.
  7. W

Regia Aeronautica anti-ship bombs

Previously, I had heard little of Italy having armor piercing bombs, the 220 pound ( 100 kg) SAP being about the only one. Now I'm hearing of Fiat building the 1,600 kg AS.5, the 1,000 kg AS.6, the 500 kg AS2, and the 300 kg AS.3. Were there such bombs? Were they actually armor piercing? Were...
  8. W

Use of Austrian-Hungarian Artillery

Italy assigned their 77mm and 100mm artillery to Libya, produced with bronze barrels. Yet there appears to have been adequate numbers of existing Italian made artillery to equip all divisions there. The performance of Italy's own guns (at least the 105/28 in range) is about 30% better. Thus...
  9. W

Battle of Mechilli-Derna January 1941

The information I'm finding on the Italian forces involved varies, especially in tanks (in one account, M11/39's are included). In general, it appears one brigade of 60th Infantry Division was at Derna wadi and the other brigade at Mechilli (but with no actual position given). One battalion of...
  10. W

Italian repaving of Via Balbia highway between Sollom and Sidi Baranni?

How far along had this gotten by December 9, 1940 or earlier?
  11. W

Confusion on number of trucks N.A. 1940

I have the following quote from Operation in North Africa Vol. 1 page 101. "The maneuver design was at once communicated to the Comando Supremo, but it raised a doubt: the 600 trucks of which he made noted in the plan which were? The 1st of September 230 motor vehicles had arrived at Tripoli...
  12. W

Was there a battle at Sollom in December 1940?

I find frequent mention of fighting between the British and the Italians in the general area but no date, no actual location, no units involved, and no casualties by either side.
  13. W

Battle Beda Fomm

I'm looking for information on the Italian casualties at Beda Fomm. Also, does anyone know on what dates the Italians left Benghazi? And the order of the units arriving at Beda Fomm? Thanks!
  14. W

TOE Brescia Division March 31-May 30 1941?

I have it containing the artillery regiment of 1st Celeri division, two infantry regiments (19 and 2) of 3x Fusilier battalions each. I am wanting to know how many men and trucks it had to transport them? I know Rommel changed it from 1940.
  15. W

Speed of WW2 Trento Division in 1941

I'm trying to calculate a speed for the Trento motorized division in 1941. I have it moving over 300 miles in 3 days in April. Another time 52 miles in one day, about 350 miles in 10 days and 162 miles in 5 days. So I get 100 miles day once, 52 miles a day once, and about 33 miles per day three...
  16. W

Operation E: September 1940 invasion of Egypt

Maybe this has already been discussed but I failed to see it. I found this website: https://codenames.info/operation/operazione-e/ It actually says quite a lot about the invasion but, being a website, could be unreliable. It states the 1st and 2nd Libyan divisions were only semi-motorized...
  17. W

Bomber Range with Bombload?

It seems the ranges given for Italian bombers is without a bombload and which significantly reduced the range. Does anyone have range info on any bomber under load?
  18. W

Bragadin's Italian Navy at War

I have located a free copy of Bragadin's well known book on the internet. You can find it here: https://archive.org/details/italiannavyinwor00brag/page
  19. W

21st Corps Artillery 1940

I'm curious what artillery this corps had. An October 1, 1940 Italian report lists 66% of its munitions as defective. No doubt, it had 1914 ammunition but I'm wondering if it was using Austro-Hungarian guns or what?
  20. W

Airfield revetments

Aircraft revetments were earthen walls created to protect aircraft on three sides while parked on an airfield. I have found no mention of Italy using revetments and have never found a photo of a revetment on an Italian WW2 airfield (There are several photos of abandoned airfields during...