• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Search results

1. DrG

How did training in the Italian Army differ from other powers?

Given my relative ignorance of other countries training, I cannot reply in a proper way. But the training of Italian soldiers has usually been criticized due to its strong focus only on phisical exercise, with little or no actual fire and a rather irrealistic training environment, unable to...
  2. DrG

New book on the Macchi fighters.

Thank you! I didn't know this new book! Caliaro is an excellent researcher, moreover he has already published a book about the SIAI S.79 Sparviero: https://www.amazon.com/Savoia-marchetti-S-79-Sparviero-1934-1947-Record-breaker/dp/1906537593/
  3. DrG

Any cases of Italians committing suicide to avoid surrender?

Gen. Archimede Mischi, Chief of Staff of the Republican National Army (Esercito Nazionale Repubblicano) of the Italian Social Republic, tried to commit suicide by slitting his wrists on 25 April 1945, but he was captured when he was in a coma and then was rescued.
  4. DrG

Italian popular singers and songs in WWII?

Hi Sid, I usually try to provide you some useful information, but this time I am somewhat unprepared. Just recently I have watched "Comandante" at the movie theater and noticed that the sailors sang "Un'ora sola ti vorrei" and then the classic "O' surdato 'nammorato" (which dated back to WW1)...
  5. DrG

Supermarina's Cryptographic Service

Hi Dili. As far as I can say about Cernuschi's research, I see that if he uses an Italian source about a damage to a British ship, it is always as the starting point, never as a settled matter. In other words, then he finds a document (a British report or testimony; or a photo) to corroborate...
  6. DrG

My signature is the explanation of your feeling. Once you study a topic deeply enough, it becomes difficult to state negative judgments. Internet and bookshelves are full of armchair generals, admirals, politicians, etc., but none of them has the same professionality of the men they jugde and...
  7. DrG

Me too (in a different field, but when I meet a practitioner in my field I listen carefull and I don't brag about my titles, because being a professor does not make you a superior being), and so what? There is not a single university professor who has a tenth of Cernuschi's knowledge about the...
  8. DrG

Your corrispondent does not know what he is talking about. Period. Cernuschi knows perfectly Santoni's outdated research, which is more than 40 years old and written by a scholar who, unlike Cernuschi himself, hadn't a clue about the actual work of the cryptographic branch of the Navy. Adm...
  9. DrG

While both are classics, if you can read Italian I suggest you "Ultra: la fine di un mito" by Enrico Cernuschi: https://www.amazon.it/%C2%ABUltra%C2%BB-guerra-inglesi-italiane-1934-1945/dp/8842552186/ Here there is a short interview to the author...
  10. DrG

Regia Marina Morale Spring/Summer 1943

Morale was never an issue in the Italian Navy. The only short-lived mutiny happened on the battleship Cesare on 9 Sept. 1943, because the crew feared that they would have to hand the ship to the British, not knowning that the Armistice granted the Italian control over its fleet. In other words...
  11. DrG

Fiat CR42 being restored.

I agree. The last flightworthy Macchi C.205V Veltro almost crashed during a show in Venegono in 1988, and its damages were very limited just thanks to the exceptional ability of the pilot and a bit of good luck. But without these positive factors the outcome could have been dramatic.
  12. DrG

"I cavalieri erranti" - The definitive book on the 412a Squadriglia Caccia Terrestre in East Africa in WW2

Honestly, I think that this book is even better than "Desert Prelude", because its print is of superb quality and its text covers the most unknown air campaign of WW2, and has required extensive researches not only in books, articles and archives, but also among the families of the airmen.
  13. DrG

"I cavalieri erranti" - The definitive book on the 412a Squadriglia Caccia Terrestre in East Africa in WW2

Today I got my copy of the new book "I cavalieri erranti" by Ludovico Slongo, Setefano Lazzaro, Eugenio Eusebi, Michele Palermo and Danilo Ventura, published by Gruppo Amici Velivoli Storici. It is the definitive account of the airwar in East Africa fought by the 412a Squadriglia Caccia...
  14. DrG

Any cases of Italians committing suicide to avoid surrender?

Reading "200 anni di italiani in guerra" by Enrico Cernuschi, I discovered that col. Erminio Sommaruga deliberately exposed himself to the fire of American soldiers rather than surrender (Marsala, 24 July 1943).
  15. DrG

L3 with names.

The 2nd, "Castelnuovo" (literally "Newcastle"), could be the name of a place and not necessarily a surname.
  16. DrG

Logistical planning data

No problem Jeff! :ROFLMAO:
  17. DrG

Logistical planning data

Maurizio...?! 😜
  18. DrG

Logistical planning data

Jeff, have you tried checking these books? https://issuu.com/rivista.militare1/docs/la-logistica-dell-esercito-vol-iii-testo https://issuu.com/rivista.militare1/docs/la-logistica-dell-esercito-vol-iv-tomo-i-testo...
  19. DrG

Is this 60 year old book still the most comprehensive in English on Italian aircraft in the Fascist era?

By the way, have you got both the parts of this article? There is also part 2 about Italian bombers, published on Ali Antiche 118.
  20. DrG

Is this 60 year old book still the most comprehensive in English on Italian aircraft in the Fascist era?

Thanks Dili, I have a copy of this article and I know very well its author.