• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Search results

1. Turbulent98

Buon Natale

2. Turbulent98

Tobruk conference

I saw today on X that there is to be a conference next month at Tobruk University regarding Tobruk during WW2.
  3. Turbulent98

Navi e Poltrone

Whilst reading a Royal Navy staff history I came across a reference to the book Navi e Poltrone by Signor Trizzino. The note states that the author was sued by Admiral Brivonesi for libel in November 1953, found guilty, ordered to pay a fine of 10466000 lire and imprisoned for two years and four...
  4. Turbulent98

Italian naval propaganda

This card is an example of Italian naval propaganda but what message is it trying to convey?
  5. Turbulent98

Italy’s war aims and expected length of conflict

I often come across references to documents which state that Italy had only prepared to fight for a few months. One such is a British document-Weekly Intelligence report number 14 (June 1940) which states that the based upon a report written by Admiral Cavagnari ,the expected duration was three...
  6. Turbulent98

The Naval war in the Mediterranean 1940-1943 Greene Massignani

Is anybody in contact with either of the authors of this book? The book cites a number of niche sources that I am having difficulty finding. As to the book it is a reasonable account but the maps in it look as though they were produced on Windows 95 or earlier .
  7. Turbulent98

The Antisom school

I would like to know more about the antisom school established by Rear admiral Da Zara in 1941. Does it have a published history?
  8. Turbulent98

Italian naval strategy in the inter-war period

I am currently reading East of Malta, West of Suez by Lawrence R Pratt. In the book , published in the 1970s , he mentions that there is very little written about Italian naval strategy in the inter-war period written in English and the USMM histories barely mention it so can anyone suggest...
  9. Turbulent98

Civilian accounts of life in Libya during the war

Are there any published accounts written by members of the civilian population of Libya during the war time? I would be interested to know how the war against the convoys affected the food supply and also how the arrival of huge amounts of fighting men affected daily life.I believe that a lot of...
  10. Turbulent98

La Difesa del traffico con L’Africa Settentrionale: dal ’ottobre 1942 alla caduta della Tunisia

I am missing chapter 8 (pages 170-207 )from the following book-La Difesa del traffico con L’Africa Settentrionale: dal ’ottobre 1942 alla caduta della Tunisia . Would any of you have a copy and be able to send the missing pages please?
  11. Turbulent98

Official histories

The Italian Defence ministry publish official histories related to their armed forces and the following link will take you to the page of their website that lists all of them- https://www.difesa.it/Area_Storica_HTML/editoria/Pagine/editoria.aspx
  12. Turbulent98

Document request

Would anybody have a copy of Axis Naval Policy and Operations in the Mediterranean, 1939 to May 1943 by VADM Eberhard Weichold ?
  13. Turbulent98

Bletchley Park and the war against the Regia Marina

A very interesting podcast about intercepting the signals of the Regia Marina-https://audioboom.com/posts/7979946-e131-secrets-of-the-supermarina
  14. Turbulent98

Prisoners of War

Would anybody have a figure for the amount of allied prisoners of war taken in North Africa? Where were they held in North Africa and was sea transport the only option of moving them back to Europe?
  15. Turbulent98

Direction finding stations

Direction finding stations had been used in the First World War in the Mediterranean against U-boats and I am sure that the Regia Marina took a lot of notice on how they were used when it came to finding enemy submarines in the Second World War but this time the enemy was the British. This is...
  16. Turbulent98

Anti-submarine tactics

Did the RM have any standard anti-submarine tactics with regards sweep patterns and use of depth charges?
  17. Turbulent98

RM submarine losses in the Mediterranean

The submarine fleet of the RM seems to have suffered large losses in the Mediterranean, has there been any analysis as to the causes of these losses?
  18. Turbulent98

Ju-88 operated by the Regia Aeronautica

A number of Junkers 88 aircraft were passed to the Regia Aeronautica, in what role were they used and also from which date?
  19. Turbulent98

Maritime navigation charts

Would anybody have a reference of navigational points as they appeared on charts used by the RMA and appearing in vessels logbooks? For example Punta Licosa. There is a postwar lighthouse offshore but was the reference in the logbook to somewhere on the mainland?