• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Baistrocchi Uniform Question

iac

Hello Gents, Does anyone have Information regarding Wool composition i.e, 100% wool or a wool/rayon mix; as well as the Weight of the cloth (18 oz., 17oz. ?) of the Baistrocchi Uniform introduced in 1933 ?
Grazie, IAC.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Once I have some time, I will see if I can find an answer. Off the top of my head, the enlisted uniforms were a mix of wool and something artificial. In 1942–43 the cloth changed to a complete artificial fabric called double fabric or something similar. It has been awhile since I looked that this issue.

Pista! Jeff

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
IAC

This is what Viotti states about the cloth used.

P.10. Officer uniforms were made from either panno castorino (wool made from beaver fur) or panno cordelllino (wool twill), or panno diagonale (polyester). Maresciallo uniforms were the same. As officer uniforms were private purchase, there can be much variation is the cloth used.

P.29. Sergenti uniforms were made from panno speciale grigio-verde. This appears to be a wool/nylon blend.

P.35. Truppi uniforms were made from panno da truppa which is likely a cheaper version of the panno speciale grigio-verde (likely less wool, more nylon).

No cloth weights are provided.

Pista! Jeff

iac

Grazie Signore !
I also recalled after our 1st conversation, that the Uniformi per Truppi may have /probably contained Lanital; a fiber derived from Milk Casein (Protien).
It was invented in Italy in the 1930s, as part of Fascist Italia's Autarchia (self sufficiency) program !
, Thanks Again !

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that cloth was the panno grigio-verde a doppia faccia. It was formally adopted in 1942.