• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Breda Ba.65 with star in the tail?

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 17 February 2004 - 06:06 PM by JulioMoc
Take a look at this picture...
If anyone knows what it is.
Ba65-002.jpg

-------------

Posted 17 February 2004 - 06:06 PM by gbotto

Iraqi air force?

--------------

Posted 17 February 2004 - 06:15 PM by Viva Grazian
Other than on of the worst planes in WWII, I believe it might be one of those that was exported to Portugal.

Unless, as gbotto says, Iraqi, air force... but I doubt so...

------------

Posted 17 February 2004 - 06:28 PM by JulioMoc
Well, Gbotto, I can't say you are wrong, but I never heard of stars in Iraq Air Force. The iraqi markings that I know are these below:
bf110_drewes2.jpg

Messerschmitt Bf 110C Zerstorer, Lt. Martin Drewes, Sonderkommando Junck - Iraq, may 1941

--------------

Posted 17 February 2004 - 06:36 PM by Viva Grazian
the Breda Ba-65 was used by Spain, Hungary, Paraguay, Iraq and Portugal, chile and of course Italy.

and that's a fact... however... it might be more South American than Portuguese or Iraqi.

---------

Posted 17 February 2004 - 07:23 PM by gbotto
Its of Chile.
tresvistas.jpg

Posted 17 February 2004 - 07:50 PM by JulioMoc
Question officially solved, in record time!!!
Thanks Gbotto!!!

-----------

Posted 17 February 2004 - 07:57 PM by pg
What made this aircraft so bad????

------------

Posted 17 February 2004 - 10:31 PM by stefano

good question, all I've ever heard about it was that it was bad and that a large number were produced (although I'm not even completely sure about that)

-----------

Posted 17 February 2004 - 10:41 PM by Viva Grazian
grrr... 8) Since Gbotto found the info before I did, although I thought it would have been Chile, as I lived in Paraguay and the other nations were weird I had no available Image... :p :p

I am looking for some technical information.... about that right now... hmm...

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 18 February 2004 - 12:55 AM by Mario Pacione
As it was correctly confirmed before this photo shows a Breda Ba 65PXI of the Chilean Air Force around 1938.

The attached profile was taken from the excellent monography of Giancarlo Garello, Breda Ba 65 of the Serie Ali D'Italia #7 (La Bancarella Aeronautica). In this work you will also find another two photos of this aircraft under Chilean service.

breda-ba65-foto-fach.jpg

-----------

Posted 18 February 2004 - 12:13 PM by venice517
The Ba65 was an awful plane, too slow and difficult to fly.

-------------

Posted 18 February 2004 - 01:18 PM by SM79Sparviero

Ba65 is usually described as "the worst attack aircraft of WW2", it was a mediocre aircraft but I don't completely agree with this opinion:

1) it was not an aircraft of WW2 but of 1937-38!In those years monoplanes had their troubles also when they were opposed to biplanes ex I16 Rata Versus CR-42.
2) Breda industries had not great experience in aircrafts but only in trains and small arms.Thy won aircraft public contracts expecially for theirsupport to fascist party during its rising.
2) Italian assault pilots were not enough trained on monoplanes yet in particular thay had troubles with the new situation of an high wing charge and a low handling.
3) Fiat A-80 was a bad engine with a low power/weight ratio and with an high rate of failures.I would have liked to see again a Ba-65 with a BMW 801 or a Piaggio P XV.
4)more than one "assault aircraft" since 1939 to 1945 was as bad as Ba-65 for comparable reasons : from Fairey Battle ( more, it was powered not by Fiat A-80 but by the best engine of WW2!) to the first models of SBD Helldiver!

--------------

Posted 18 February 2004 - 04:18 PM by semo75
Hi guys!

The image is a Breda 65 from the Chilean Air Force (or FACH) who reciebed this a/cs in the 30´s and used it in the 40´s.

I have a very nice article of it...but in spanish. If you want, I can translate it but only if you want.....you only have to mail me at mc205alvarez99@hotmail.com. The article have nice images, like the draw that gbotto showed, that aviocardex is from a Chilean magazine named "Pillan" (the mapuche god of War).

8) semo75 8)

--------------

Posted 18 February 2004 - 04:24 PM by semo75
Check this link, Julio

http://www.fach-extr...les/breda65.htm

s:D semo75 :D

---------

Posted 18 February 2004 - 05:21 PM by JulioMoc
Thanks, semo75. If you can translate the article, I would appreciate it.

--------

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:25 PM by Aereitaliani
To remenber that:
Chile bought 20 Breda 65 in 1937 - 17 one seat - 3 twin seat with engine a Piaggio P.XIRC40 and Madsen guns.
In 1939 this planes have 4 incident those stop all at ground.
Ciao
Diego
Other states that used the Ba65:
Irak - n.15
Potugal - n.10.
An order from China for 29 planes with a Whitney T.W. built in Nanchang was not ended.
Ciao
Diego

----------

Posted 05 March 2004 - 05:23 PM by Semo75
The Breda 65 whas one of the a/cs purchased by Chile in 1937, together with Nardi FN.305 (9) and German a/cs, all of it started after with a national request for founds named Alas para Chile (Wings for Chile).

17 single-seat version and two 2-seat version reached Chile in 1938, by ship, and then they are destinated to 4rth Attack Group, based in El Bosque base (The Wood) near Santiago.

The lessons of this new a/c (really new, specially if you think the Breda is the first not-biplane a/c of the FACH) are give it by captain Enrique Flores Alvarez, who in 1937 reached Italy to learn how to fly it in the Breda factory. Flores Alvarez later becomes general and wrote the only history of the Chilean Air Force that it was made it (FACH)

The Bredas 65 suffered a lot of accidents in that year, that make it a bad fame for this a/c, named by the press '' el hacedor de viudas'' (the widowmaker) o ''ataudes voladores'' (flying coffins) as gonna be named by pilots. The commander officer of the FACH ordered the cancelation of all the flys, and the start of a investigation. But, as the investigation showed later, the reasons of the accidents are differents...starting with the difficults who made this change to the pilots to fly the slower biplanes to the faster one-wing a/c, with characteristics news for the chilean pilots, like the retractable-landing-gear, the speed, etc.

So the Breda whas retired from the service and disapered from the use in the 40´s , being replaced by U.S a/cs in 1943 (P-47s, Texans, etc)

For more info, please mail me at mc205alvarez99@hotmail.com

😉 semo75 😉

(sorry for the delay)