• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

The Failed Defense of Bardia, January 3, 1941

Wargames

When the British surrounded Bardia in January 1941, how many days of supply did the Italians have in Bardia assuming they did not impose rationing?

Giova

Hello everyone!

I'm just a new member, and i've registered into the forum to place my 2 cents on this particular argument

My grandfather was here in 05/01/1941 and was captured by British. He was on 157° Infantry regiment, III° battailon, 9° company

I don't have any document or any testimoniance directly from him because he died when I was too young to ask for.

But in these last year I'we searched intensivelly about Battle of Bardia on Jannuary 1941.

For example about Post 11 and his defense.....

Here, you can find the War Diary of the australian 2/6 Infantry Battailon

where are reported the operation about attack of posts 11:

h12.05 - white flag hoisted on Post 11. Post occupied by 2/6 Bn. approx 350 Ps. W. members of 157th and 158th. Regt 45th Arrty. Many of D Coy found dead in and aroun the post. Lt. Bowen amongst them.
This Post was of concrete. 12 M.M.G, 27 L.M.G, 325 rifles, 6 A/tk.guns, 2 field guns, 2 x 3'' mortars and a large number of small mortars.
The normal garrison wa I off. 30 O.R.s. but had been re-inforced by 24 officers and between 300 and 400 men

And on the book "FRONTE D'AFRICA:C'ERO ANCH'IO - Giulio Bedeschi" there is a testimoniance of:

Capitano Giovanni D'Avossa
Comandante 1° Gruppo
45° Reggimento Artiglieria

"DIVISIONE CIRENE IL CAPOSALDO DEGLI ARTIGLIERI A BARDIA: 16 DICEMBRE 1940-5 GENNAIO 1941"

where he writed a detailed text about these day, and in particular:

Sulla caduta della piazzaforte di Bardia erano infatti riportate le testuali parole: «Non si deve credere comunque che gli italiani abbiano mostrato esiderio di non combattere. L'artiglieria italiana del vertice sudest di Bardia ha combattuto splendidamente ed il suo fuoco è stato preciso e violento.Gli artiglieri sono sembrati mettere tutto il loro cuore nel combattimento».Tale resistenza è stata anche riportata nel libro scritto dal generale ingleseO" Connor, comandante delle truppe inglesi per la conquista della Cirenaica. Inoltre, il colonnello inglese Mac Nab, che aveva partecipato alle operazioni per la conquista della piazzaforte, quale comandante di un reggimento della 7adivisione corazzata inglese di fronte alla tenace resistenza contrapposta dal caposaldo del vertice sudest di Bardia, era indotto a ritenere che ivi fosse schierato un intero reggimento di artiglieria della divisione Cirene. La guerra in Africa Settentrionale fu dura e spietata ma come tutte le guerre che, nella fase contingente ed immediata, si risolvono con una totale distruzione, fu ricca di episodi ispirati dal coraggio, dall'onore e dall'amore. Il caposaldo degli artiglieri di Bardia con il suo manipolo di combattenti aveva vinto una grande battaglia infliggendo gravi perdite al nemico e fermando così l'impeto delle truppe australiane davanti alle opere 11 e 13 e l'intera 7adivisione corazzata inglese che, dopo aver travolta la divisione Marmarica ed i caposaldi della Cirene, concentrò invano i suoi sforzi sul caposaldo degli artiglieri.

D'Avossa was also onorificed with gold military medal (Medaglia d'oro al valor militare) for this battle, here his wikipedia page:

D'Avossa and Post 11 (Opera 11 in italian) is mentionend also in this book:

on the death of Corporal Barriello "a man that sacrificed himself to save Post 11"

D'Avossa and the death of Corporal Barriello it's mentioned also on:

Yol-La mia avventura - Edmondo Mazzinghi (PDF easily available online)

Mazzinghi was a gunner of 45 Artillery

It is my hunch that on Bardia's Post 11 there is D'Avossa and many other men from other neighbouring Posts, defeated but not captured, who escaped and found shelter here

Do you agree?

Last edited:

Wargames

Post 11 would be the wrong place and wrong direction to "escape and find shelter". Cirene division troops were to retreat to the "switch line" to their north. The 12 M.M.G. could not be retreated to post 11, nor could the six anti-tank guns (each requiring nine men to move), and the 2 field guns were almost certainly 65/13 guns assigned to the Cirene's infantry regiment, both towed. As the Australians described it, post 11 had been reinforced before the battle (Which explains the GaF troops found there who would normally be in the rear.).

Wargames

Why the GaF trops would be in the rear normally?

While GaF troops could be on the front line in the absence of regular troops such as Cirene division, they were employed to operate GaF artillery (including 47mm and the 27 coastal defense guns), most such guns being in the rear where the GaF not only had their own guns but their own ammunition. Just 36 such guns (I have an actual count somewhere) required 2,687 GaF. If I am mistaken, do not hesitate to correct.

Giova

Post 11 would be the wrong place and wrong direction to "escape and find shelter". Cirene division troops were to retreat to the "switch line" to their north. The 12 M.M.G. could not be retreated to post 11, nor could the six anti-tank guns (each requiring nine men to move), and the 2 field guns were almost certainly 65/13 guns assigned to the Cirene's infantry regiment, both towed. As the Australians described it, post 11 had been reinforced before the battle (Which explains the GaF troops found there who would normally be in the rear.).

Sorry but...how can Cirene retreat to "switch line" if these posts fall before post 11 or 13?
After the Australian break between Gerfah-Ponticelli sector, they go inside and after in the south-east...so Cirene must fight with an inverted front, so the last post remaining are these on the south-east, like 8,7,11,13 (according to australian map)

I'm not an exepert...i'm tring tò understand

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Giova in that the switch line fell before the posts on the south west corner of the perimeter. It is possible that the survivors from the switch line and artillery support positions retreated south to the surviving posts.

Pista! Jeff

Giova

Tnx Jeff.

I've an another source for Battle of Bardia by Italian side, in particular from artillery:

https://issuu.com/rivista.militare1/docs/storia_dell_artiglieria_vol_16-testo

Page from 265 to 274

Here are reported various name of the posts (caposaldo)

opera 11 (Santa)
Caposaldo Marone
Caposaldo Eustachi
Caposaldo Vulpitta

and also Cardinali,Caradini,Calaresu,Simonetti,Di Salvo,Mezzatti,Zavia,Gambuzza,Carani

that I think it's the name by the commander of the post (example: Marone was Alfredo Marone commander of 157th regiment).

on page 268 we found:

Nel settore Mreiga, la colonna nemica proveniente da sud. sboccando tra i capisaldi Souta e Sidi Hasan, tentò d'impossessarsi dell'opera 11 (Santa) ma fu accolta dalla formidabile reazione del gruppo obici da 100/17 del cap. d'Avossa, che nel corso di questa battaglia, per l'eccezionale ardita resistenza si meritò la Medaglia d'Oro al Valor Militare....

and on page 271:

Il 5 gennaio, alle ore 8 circa, si scatenò ancora più violento fuoco di artiglieria sul settore dell'uadi Mreiga; due ore dopo, formazioni di carri armati nemici irruppero sulle sconvolte posizioni ancora tenute dagli impavidi fanti ed artiglieri, ponendo fine alla loro disperata difesa.
Minuscole resistenze ancora rimanevano nelle opere avanzate di Sidi-Hasan e di Souta: più indomita delle altre l'opera 11, il cui comandante — Ten. Tua sebbene gravemente ferito, continuava ad animare lo sparuto nucleo di superstiti: fu decorato di Medaglia d'Oro al Valor Militare

Ten. Tua is TUA Felice from Cuneo
158° reggimento fanteria
https://www.quirinale.it/onorificenze/insigniti/12978
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felice_Tua

Now the problem: opera 11 (in italian) was reported commanded by D'Avossa, Santa and Tua...Wich one is the right?!? :eek:🤣

Always from the book "FRONTE D'AFRICA:C'ERO ANCH'IO - Giulio Bedeschi" the testimoniance of D'Avossa was:

Durante l'assedio di Bardia in Africa Settentrionale (16 dicembre 1940-gennaio 1941), comandavo, oltre al gruppo da 100/17 di manovra della divisione Cirene, anche il caposaldo del vertice sudest della piazzaforte, su cui erano schierate tre batterie di obici, una batteria contraerea, una batteria cannoni mitragliere da 20, quattro pezzi da 47/32 e 28 mitragliatrici Fiat 35.Il caposaldo, costituito a cavallo dell'uadi Mrega, era alle dipendenze della divisione Cirene comandata dal generale Alessandro De Guidi. Il 18 dicembre 1940, allo scopo di individuare il settore assegnatomi ed anche per ottenere il massimo rendimento dei pezzi di cui disponevo, mi spingevo al di là della prima linea fortificata di Bardia per cercare un osservatorio onde controllare i movimenti del nemico ed aggiustare personalmente il tiro sulle batterie nemiche. Dopo un'accurata ricognizione riuscivo a stabilire un osservatorio a Bir Ras,a circa 2 chilometri oltre l'opera che rappresentava la punta più avanzata di tutta la piazzaforte.

I've searched this Bir Ras but i'm not found it's right position

Also, I had a lot of difficulty with the map from 'The First British Offensive in A.S.' where only numbers 13 and 7 of the GAF strongholds are shown.

On book "EZIO MURRONI - BARDIA - PAGINE DI GUERRA IN MARMARICA - 1958" I've found this map (sorry for low quality):

bardia-difesa-eziomurroni (Media).jpeg

where it's possible to read other GAF strongholds number.

Putting toghert, here the Mreiga sector and all strongholds number:

View attachment 1376