• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

VAS - Vedette Anti Sommergibile

gjs

Hi All,

I have a detailed question to vedetta anti sommergibile (VAS). 3 units were built in Soriente Salerno shipyard. VAS 243 was completed and transferred to Castellammare di Stabia. VAS 244 was in transfer but was sunk on 8/9/43. I have a question to VAS 245. When she was completed and where was she at the time of Armistice? How she get under Allied control? Any more details about these vessels are more than welcome.

Best regards

Greg

1089maul

Hi Greg,
This is what Aldo Fraccaroli’ excellent book on Italian Warships in WW2 has in the VAS boats that you are interested in. It partly answers your question. I have another book on on the MAS boats but it doesn’t include the VAS.
if I come across anything else I will let you know.
Regards,
Bob

Attachments

• 2688AE77-62AD-4A78-93CF-5B4D792178C8.jpeg
    2688AE77-62AD-4A78-93CF-5B4D792178C8.jpeg
    1,022 KB · Views: 529
  • EB3CD041-4D52-4B5C-8A4A-4EEB6FB85725.jpeg
    EB3CD041-4D52-4B5C-8A4A-4EEB6FB85725.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 543

gjs

Thank you Bob. Yes, this confirms what I already knew. Unfortunetely this doesn't answer my questions... I know they are very detailed but maybe somebody will know the answers :) I've got an information that VAS 245 was in Imperia at the time of Armistice. How did she get to the Allies then. It is also strange that the VAS of the highest number (243-245) built in Salerno was completed as the first one of three.
Best regards,
Greg

FrancoFB

i think, the 18 VAS 2nd serie were ordered 3 each yard, the number assigned in sequence, so the Soriente yard get the number 243-245, actually they are not the last, it's probable that all were order in same time

gjs

6 were ordered in Baglietto Varazze (VAS 231-236), 2 in Costaguta Voltri (VAS 237-238), 4 in Navalmeccanica Castellammare di Stabia (VAS 239-242), 3 in Soriente Salerno (VAS 243-245) and 3 in Celli Venezia (VAS 246-248). I would like to know the dates of laying down, launching and commissioning.

1089maul

Hi Greg,

I have numerous books on the Regia Marina but have not been able to find any of the information that you are after. It appears that there is more on the MAS than the VAS boats!

Hopefully someone else in the forum might be able to help.
I did a google check on Imperia during WW2 which resulted in the below blog.
The article does give details of the VAS boats there but not VAS 245??

The article is in Italian but I do believe google chrome can translate it.

Good luck with your research.

Bob

gjs

Thank you Bob! Highly appreciated. Yes, that's why I'm not sure about VAS 245 in Imperia... I started to suspect it could be still on slip in Soriente Salerno shipyard and after Allied invasion simply launched... VAS 244 was towed from Salerno on the 8/9/1943 but sunk during this trip by American PTs... Maybe VAS 245 (highest number of 3) was still in Salerno… The dates of launching appropriate vessels would help here for sure.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone have a copy of La Lotta Antisommergibile published by the USMM? That book might have some answers.

Did a quick check, not an easy volume to find.

Pista! Jeff