• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

132 tank regiment

Kustosz2137

Hi, I need some info about 132nd tank regiment from Ariete division; Once I've read somewhere that 132nd was only Italian tank regiment that was completed (reached it's assumed strength; 3 medium tanks battalions, each with 4 companies, 3 platoons by 5 tanks in each company), but I don't really remember where it was written, or is it even truth. Can someone confirm or deny this information and if it's possible post OOB with exact number of battalions, companies and platoons?

The Ariete division changed its organization several times during the entire North African campaign and unfortunately its tank regiment also underwent various modifications during the campaign. You should know what period you want information about....
All the best
Maurizio

Kustosz2137

The Ariete division changed its organization several times during the entire North African campaign and unfortunately its tank regiment also underwent various modifications during the campaign. You should know what period you want information about....
All the best
Maurizio
Yeah, I should mention it at first, but I want to know how it was at it's strongest point (I'm not sure when it was tho, but I assume that it should be same beggining with VII, VIII and IX battalions.

Kustosz2137

Hi, I need some info about 132nd tank regiment from Ariete division; Once I've read somewhere that 132nd was only Italian tank regiment that was completed (reached it's assumed strength; 3 medium tanks battalions, each with 4 companies, 3 platoons by 5 tanks in each company), but I don't really remember where it was written, or is it even truth. Can someone confirm or deny this information and if it's possible post OOB with exact number of battalions, companies and platoons?
Or I will ask other way, that should be much easier; were there any medium tank battalions made of 4 companies? (not counting HQ etc.) I mean overally, not only in this particular regiment.

In 1942, the strength of the tank infantry regiment with M tanks was: - command company and reserve tanks with command platoon (majority squad, services squad, radio field garage), - liaison platoon (radio team, signal and relay team, 6 radio centers), - auto squad and 3 reserve tank platoons (27 tanks); -3 M tank battalions each on a command company (command platoon, repair platoon, recovery platoon) and 3 M tank companies on a command platoon and 3 M tank platoons (each with 5 tanks); anti-aircraft company of 20 (on command team and 4 platoons of 2 pieces); - repair and recovery department with heavy workshop. (War formations for the Carrista infantry regiments, 1939 edition with additions and variations to April 1942).
All the best
Maurizio

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I am not aware of any medium tank battalion TO&E that had four companies. The only Italian armor formation with four companies was the gruppo carri L with four squadrons. Given the initial organization of the «Ariete» was with L3 vehicles, I am wondering if the reference was of the L3 equipped division.

Pista! Jeff

Jeff The formation of the L tank battalion of the Ariete in Northern Africa had two companies and a command company, perhaps you are referring to the formation of the light tank battalion foreseen for the rapid divisions ......
All the best
Maurizio

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Maurizio

Yes, I was referring to the gruppi L that were assigned to the d.c. Kustosz1237 question was about Ariete having "... 3 medium tanks battalions, each with 4 companies,... ". The only tank battalions with four companies that I am aware of were the gruppi L. This makes the information he read somewhere incorrect.

I am wondering if the comment was that «Ariete» was the only d.cor. that kept its original battalions. The rgt. cor in both «Littorio» and «Centauro» were broken up when they arrived in A.S. and different btg. were assigned to the divisions.

Pista! Jeff

es, your answer is very correct ... on the speech of Littorio and Centauro in fact both were "cannibalized" to give up part of their units (at least those who had arrived safely in Africa) to other units.....
All the best
Maurizio