• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

5th Battleship Division Commander, 1940-1941

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
by EugeneTF » Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:22 am

Who was the commander of the Italian 5th Battleship Division comprised Giulio Cesare & Conte di Cavour in 1940-1941?

I mean that in some Battle Orders Ammiraglio di divisione Bruno Brivonesi appears twice as the 5th Division Commander and Libya Naval Commander.
J. Rohwer and G. Hummelchen in their 'Chronology of the War at Sea 1939–1945' specify Rear-Admiral Brivonesi as 5th Battleship Division Commander in the Punta Stilo. And I know, that Bruno Brivonesi might be the 5th Division Commander from the end of August 1940 till May 1941 because on August 22, 1940 he was onboard 'Monte Gargano' sunk in the Gulf of Bomba and since May 1941 he became the 3d Division Commander.

Thanks in advance.

----------

by AJK » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:48 am

Well, I know that this is over 2 years late, but I only joined the forum today and came across this thread. The Naval Commander of Libya during 1940 - 1941 was indeed Ammiraglio di Divisione Bruno Brivonesi. The commander of the 5th Battleship Division during this time (1940 - 1941) was Ammiraglio di Divisione Bruto Brivonesi.

I hope this clears matters up.

Regards,

AJK