• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

92 Infantry Regiment In Tunisia Organised As As42?

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
By Bob_Mackenzie Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:13 PM

Hi All

Was the 92 Infantry Regiment in Tunisia organised as AS42?

Thanks

Bob

--------------

By Nmao Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

I don't think it was organized as AS42.
Superga was being trained for the assault on Malta as a "assault and landing division"

The actual organization I don't know, maybe you know this wargaming page: http://tmaharris.com...s/18th-Axis.htm (i don't know how real it is...)

From another article I found another online (https://groups.googl...wg/QeT2r_Rqk8UJ)

1. Infantry Divisions
Strenght: about 9,500 men each.

Infantry formations to be employed in C3 had a slight different TOE than
usual. Medium howitzers were left in Italy; mortars and AAA were doubled.

To save space on the landing craft, most of the vehicles were deleted. Each Div
had only 24 TL.37 4WD tractors (for the 75/18), 24 light trucks (for
artillery ammo) and 20+ motorbikes. All supplies were to be moved by hand,
for the duration of the battle.

The infantry Div. had two infantry Rgts, each of three infantry Bns, plus an
artillery Rgt.

Each infantry Bn had three infantry Coys (each with 12xLMG) and a MG Coy
(with 8xHMG and 18x45mm mortars).

Each infantry Rgt had a weapons Bn, with one cannon Coy (with 8x47/32) and
two mortars Coys (each with 9x81mm mortars).

The Div had a third independent weapons Bn, organized as the other two. The
47mm in this Bn was officially named "Anti-Tank guns", the other being
"Infantry cannons".

The divisional artillery Rgt had two artillery Grps, each of three Bty (each
with 4x75/18 T.M.) and a AAA Grp of two Btys (each with 8x20/65).

Infantry Division total weapons:
24x75/18 T.M.
24x47/32
16x20/65
54x81mm mortars
108x45mm mortars
48xHMG
216xLMG

regards,

-Nuno

--------------

By Diccisassette2000 Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:26 AM

Yes the Superga division were an AS 42 (reinforced) division.....but like every Italian Regio Esercito unit TOE were lightly modified ...on the road....It's infantry regiments in Tunisia are organised
on AS42 type.

All the best
Maurizio

-------------------

By Diccisassette2000 Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:40 AM

Superga's regiments (8/12/1942)
-91.o reggimento:
--102 ufficiali (officiers)
--3162 sottufficiali e truppa (soldiers and private)
--384 quadrupedi (animals)
--6 motocicli (motorcicle solo)
--18 biciclette (bicicle)
--12 pezzi da 47/32 (47/32 aT guns)
--72 mitragliatrici leggere (smg)
--36 mitragliatrici pesanti (mg)
--27 mortai da 45mm (45mm mortars)
--18 mortai da 81mm (81 mm mortars)
--60 autoveicoli (trucks)
-92.o reggimento:
--122 ufficiali
--3438 sottufficiali e truppa
--400 quadrupedi
--11 motocicli
--20 biciclette
--18 pezzi da 47/32
--81 mitragliatrici leggere
--36 mitragliatrici pesanti
--27 mortai da 45mm
--18 mortai da 81mm
--60 autoveicoli (trucks)
All the best
Maurizio

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
By Nmao Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:24 AM

Great info! Thanks! May I ask the source?
I assume the date is 8 of December, right?

It seems to confirm
Each infantry Rgt had a weapons Bn, with one cannon Coy (with 8x47/32) and
two mortars Coys (each with 9x81mm mortars).
but 92º seems to have an extra half a/t company (with no additional vehicles).

regards

-Nuno

-----------------

By Diciassette2000 Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:52 PM

SME book on 30.o Corpo d'armata Tunisia....the difference was for lost material ....but all the regiments were reformed on AS42 basis.........a very very hard question ...the animals ...perhaps remain in Italy????

All the best
Maurizio

-----------------

By Bob_Mackenzie Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:46 PM

Very interesting - thanks for taking the time to copy it out

I am somewhat by the list. I'm sure its an accurate list but as I understand AS.42 each company should have a number of 20mm or 25mm AT weapons. They appear missing from the list, perhaps there were shortages?. AS.42 companies did not have 45mm Mortars. So either they are regimental weapons or the 92nd has a somewhat hybrid organisation?

Can you shed any extra light on this?

Thanks

Bob

----------------

By Diciassette2000
Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:34 AM

Excuse me but I make a mistake........Pistoia division was on AS 1942 type....Superga division was a hybrid and the infantry regiments were so organized (the total weapons and mans that i writhe someday ago it's OK)
-Hq coy
-rock coy (never sent to Tunisia)
-engineer coy (zappatori)
-3xinfantry battalion
--Hq coy
---scout platoon
---flame platoon
---smoke squad
--3xInfantry coy
---Hq platoon
----45mm mortar squad
---3xInfantry platoon 1xsmg each)
---mg platoon (2 squad each 2xMG)
--weapons coy
---platoon Hq
---2x47/32 platoon (2 guns each)
---2x81mm mortar (3x 81mm mortar)

Weapons in battalion=30 smg,12 mG,4 47/32 At guns, 9 45mm mortars,6 81mm mortars.
The animals were retained in Tunisia for the mountain war.
All the best
Maurizio

-----------------

By Bob_Mackenzie Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:35 PM

Thanks, Maurizio

That makes much more sense

Could I enquire what a "smoke squad" is please?

Also, I think what is labeled as a "smg" are actually LMG - light machine guns - Fucile Mitragliatore Breda modello 30?

Also, if you will please forgive a supplementary question

1st Company 10th Bersaglieri fought with 92 Infantry at Sened Station. Would you know if the Bersaglieri was organized on AS42?

Thanks

Bob

------------------

By Diciassette2000 Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:43 AM

smoke squad=squadra nebbiogeni=engineers squad with smoke charge....LMG it's right.....10.o reggimento bersaglieri in Tunisia was so organized:
10.o reggimento bersaglieri (colonnello Latini)
-Comando (Hq)
--compagnia comando (Hq coy)
--10.a compagnia bersaglieri motociclisti (bersaglieri moto-solo coy)
---plotone comando (Hq platoon)
---3xplotone motomitraglieri (3xLMg platoon-6xlmg each)
---plotone mitraglieri (MG platoon-3 MG)
--XVI and XXXIV battaglione bersaglieri (bersaglieri battalions)
--- Plotone comando (hq platoon)
---3xbersaglieri coys (each lmg platoon-6 guns-MG platoon -3 mod35 guns-47/32 platoon-3 47/32 guns-AT rifle platoon-3x20mm Soluthurn guns)
--LXIII battaglione bersaglieri armi accompagnamento (bersaglieri weapons battalion)
---battaglione comando (Hq platoon)
---compagnia mitragliatrici mod.35 (MG coy 9 MG)
---compagnia mortai (mortar coy 9 mortars)
---compagnia antiaerea (20mm AA coy- 8 Breda 20mm guns)
Total of weapons 54lmg,30MG,981mm mortars,1847/32 at guns,820mm guns,18 Atrifles.
The 10.a compagnia motomitraglieri was detached from the reggimento and attached to Imperiali brigade then replaced by the 10.a compagnia motomitraglieri bis with same TOE.
Hope it helps

Are sure that the company of 10.o bersaglieri at Sened was the 1st....in the XXX Corps officially report was writhe......una compagnia del 10.o reggimento (a coy of 10th regiment)...

All the best
Maurizio
If you want other Tunisia campaign info I have some .......Superga's arrive in Tunisia and so on...

----------------
By Diciassette2000
Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:11 AM

View Post Bob_Mackenzie, on 14 May 2015 - 05:39 PM, said:
Also, if you will please forgive a supplementary question

1st Company 10th Bersaglieri fought with 92 Infantry at Sened Station. Would you know if the Bersaglieri was organised on AS42?

Thanks

Bob

Interesting question......what's you have (italians) at Sened on january 1943
I have these OOB
23/1/1943 (Sened captured)
-due plotoni della 8.a COMPAGNIA DI FORMAZIONE DELL'8° BERSAGLIERI (two platoons of 8th coy/8.o bersaglieri regiment/Imperiali 50.a brigade)
-1.o squadrone appiedato "Aosta" (1.o Aosta foot squadron)
-69.a batteria da 75/27 (69.a gun battery 75/27)
-a 88mm guns and 2 AA 20mm guns (germany)
-plotone autoblindo "Nizza" (a Nizza recon platoon with 2 armoured cars)
24/1/43 (Sened re-captured by italians)
-15.o battaglione carri (-) (15th tank battalion-)
-334.o battaglione tedesco (334th german recon battalion)
27/1/43 (Sened reinforced)
-Comando 2.o battaglione del 92.o reggimento fanteria (Hq/2.o battaglione /92.o reggimento fanteria)
-6.a e parte della 8.a compagnia del 2.o battaglione del 92.o reggimento fanteria (6th and 8th(-) coys/2nd battalion/92nd rgt)
-15.o battaglione carri M41 (15th tank battalion)
-plotone autoblindo Nizza (Nizza armoured cars platoon-4 armoured cars)
-compagnia mitraglieri 330.o battaglione (MG coy 330th battalion)
-334 Aufklarung abteilung (parts of this battalion, platoon 1st ciclist squadron, 2nd ciclist squadron,3rd stug coy, 2nd platoon/4th weapons coy, AA platoon, AT platoon)
-AA platoon/21 Panzerdivision
-two platoons/III/132.o AT regiment
-in arrive to Sened 1st coy/10.o reggimento bersaglieri (you are right on this matter) and parts of 69.a batteria da 75/27
All the best
Maurizio

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
By Bob_Mackenzie Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:53 PM

My info about Sened comes from a a very old forum post:

Source is ‘Il corpo XXX d’armata italiano in Tunisia’ pages 111-114.

The original defenders on 30 January are:

92° fanteria II btg. (two cp.)

10° Bersaglieri 1° cp.

CCCXXX GaF

Some tanks from the XV btg. carri.

The enemy attacked on the 31st.

The force was reinforced by the 334th Recce Battalion (German) and at least
one company from the XVII carri, and the 67° btr 75/27 (I have never read of
a battery with this type of number, possibly GaF?). The 8° cp. bersaglieri
covered the right at Oued el Leben.

On the 3rd, the XVII btg. carabinieri and the XXII btg. bersaglieri were
dispatched, which reinforced the occupation of the Sened village. They
repulsed an attack on the 4th.

_____

First to address some points from the earlier posts. XV btg. carri belongs to L bta. speciale, not to Centauro. The btg. remained with the bta. until after the retreat to Enfidaville. As I posted earlier, some tanks from this battalion were present on 30 January-1 February at stazione Sened. So the source of the tanks are known, the actual numbers are not.

The 47/32 c.c. are part of the 92°regg. fanteria and also likely part of the III (Trento)/132° regg. c.c. as well. I don't have my other books here, so I can't check to see how the later btg. is organized.

30 January, Stazione Sened was occupied by II/ 92° fanteria (two companies), the 1°cp./10th Bersaglieri, the 1°cp. of the CCCXXX G.a.F., and some tanks from the XV battalion. I assume the 69° btr. is present as well. This unit was part of the garrison in January, and lost its guns on 1 February at that location. The battery likely returned to stazione Sened when it was recaptured by the Italians on 24 January. A single 88 was part of the garrison that was pushed out on 23 January. There is no indication that the weapon returned.

Village Sened (to the south) was occupied by the III (Trento)/132° regg. c.c. Likey a source of several 47/32 c.c.

As I understand the sequence of events.

The Americans advanced on the 30th and made contact at Stazione Sened and the vilage. They attacked on the 31st, but were repulsed. Bad reports arrived at 5°armata headquarters the night of the 31st. Orders were issued to fall back on Maknassy. General Imperiali intervened and stated the position was holding. Army rescinded the orders, but ordered some units to reinforce L bta. At some point based on these army orders, the 334th German Recce was integrated into the defense, while a company of the XVII carri moved to village Sened.

The Americans attacked again on the 1st of Feb. While not clear in the official, I believe that the 334th started to execute the retreat order (didn't get the word of the change?). This uncovered the position at Stazione Sened, which the Americans captured. The III (Trento) and a cp. carri was still holding the village of Sened, flanking the American position at the stazione. Other Allied attacks on the 1st and 2nd were repulsed. The 21st Panzer was moved to a position northeast of stazione Sened behind the Dj. Goubel.

L bta. was reinforced again by Centauro on 3 Feb. The XVII btg. carabinieri reinforced Imperiali to the east of the stazione, while the XXII btg. bersaglieri reinforced the village Sened.
Another Allied attack on the village was repulsed on 4 Feb. At the same time, General Calvi (Centauro) tried to get the 21st Panzer to attack the stazione from the north. It wasn't until the 7th that the L bta. reoccupied the stazione. No details are provided.

_____

I have done a little more research. Montanari confirms that a 75/27 battery was present on 1 Feb. This battery was without tractors, so was lost went the Axis retreated. The lack of vehicles also caused the loss of the greater portion of the Italian infantry. He also places the 334th Recce bn there as well at the start on 30 Jan. This makes better sense, especially as both books state the battalion was holding the key positions. I am assuming that part of the battalion was at Stazione di Sened, while the remainder likely reinforced on 31 Jan.

Montanari's account has the Italians and the 334th holding until about 1600 on the 1st. Then ten.col. Botigleri was informed by the commander of the 334th Recce group that he had been ordered to retire to Maknassy. The unit pulled out and the Americans attacked again at 1640. Without the weapons provided by the 334th, and the fact that had held the critical position, the defense collapsed. The Americans didn't follow-up.

The back story is that someone (it is not know whom), informed 5th armata that Stazione di Sened had been evacuated on 31 Jan. Reading the start of a large Allied attack, 5th armata began to build a defensive position around Maknassy. When General Sogno (commander of XXX corpo d'armata) received his orders, he reply that the enemy had been repulsed and L bta. still held Sened. Counter orders were issued to correct the changes, but either through error or disregard, the 334th executed the previous orders. It would be interesting to see what the German sources say about this action.

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
By Bob_Mackenzie Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

Very useful info - thanks for posting it

-Comando 2.o battaglione del 92.o reggimento fanteria (Hq/2.o battaglione /92.o reggimento fanteria)
-6.a e parte della 8.a compagnia del 2.o battaglione del 92.o reggimento fanteria (6th and 8th(-) coys/2nd battalion/92nd rgt)

As I understand it the 8th coy is the weapons coy?

There seems some debate as to how much was at the Station de Sened and how much was at sened village. Did this battalion have a 3rd Semovente company?

I guess that was 12 NMGs in the company?

-334 Aufklarung abteilung (parts of this battalion, platoon 1st ciclist squadron, 2nd ciclist squadron,3rd stug coy, 2nd platoon/4th weapons coy, AA platoon, AT platoon)

More on this below

-in arrive to Sened 1st coy/10.o reggimento bersaglieri (you are right on this matter) and parts of 69.a batteria da 75/27

I wonder how many guns?

This isn't quite correct

Its a Schnelle Abt not Aufklarungs

As you can see 1 & 2 Kp are cyclist, 3 is SP and 4 Kp is towed guns listed as "S" or schwere ie "heavy"

The 4 Kp guns may be PaK-40 but given the US forces captured two "French" 75mm they *might* be PaK-38/97 alternatively this may refer to the SPs in 3 Kp which are Marder I: http://www.feldgrau....+panzer#p230017

There are no AA guns intrinsic in the organisation so I'm wondering if the "AA platoon" mentioned is the same as the "AA platoon/21 Panzerdivision" also mentioned?

--------------

By Diciassette2000 Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:19 PM

Yes you are right....8th coy's part was detached to reinforce the 6th (infantry) coy
at this point (27/1/43) the 15th tank battalion dont have semoventi attached
the only unit to be at Sened(city)at 27/1/43 were the two platoons/III/132.o AT regiment (semoventi) the others unit are ALL at Sened station
yes 12 lmg in coy
i dont have the exact amount of guns
All the best
Maurizio

--------------

By Bob_Mackenzie
Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:51 PM

diciassette2000, on 15 May 2015 - 06:19 PM, said:
Yes you are right....8th coy's part was detached to reinforce the 6th (infantry) coy
the only unit to be at Sened(city)at 27/1/43 were the two platoons/III/132.o AT regiment (semoventi) the others unit are ALL at Sened station
yes 12 lmg in coy
All the best
Maurizio

Thank you - This info is more than I ever hoped for when I posed the question

Montbrun

By Bob_Mackenzie Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

Very useful info - thanks for posting it

As I understand it the 8th coy is the weapons coy?

There seems some debate as to how much was at the Station de Sened and how much was at sened village. Did this battalion have a 3rd Semovente company?

I guess that was 12 NMGs in the company?

More on this below

I wonder how many guns?

This isn't quite correct

Its a Schnelle Abt not Aufklarungs

As you can see 1 & 2 Kp are cyclist, 3 is SP and 4 Kp is towed guns listed as "S" or schwere ie "heavy"

The 4 Kp guns may be PaK-40 but given the US forces captured two "French" 75mm they *might* be PaK-38/97 alternatively this may refer to the SPs in 3 Kp which are Marder I: http://www.feldgrau....+panzer#p230017

There are no AA guns intrinsic in the organisation so I'm wondering if the "AA platoon" mentioned is the same as the "AA platoon/21 Panzerdivision" also mentioned?

--------------

By Diciassette2000 Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:19 PM

yes 12 lmg in coy
All the best
Maurizio

--------------

By Bob_Mackenzie
Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:51 PM

Thank you - This info is more than I ever hoped for when I posed the question
I just had to re-register...

I have been researching World War II OoBs and ToEs for about 40 years. My particular interest is in North Africa and Italy. I do unit organization research for Matrix Games, and in particular Gary Grigsby's War in the East, War in the West, and War in the East 2.0 (in development). I researched the Axis and Allied forces for the War in the West scenario "From Torch to Tunisia." The 92° Reggimento Fanteria was NOT organized along AS42 lines. The 1° Divisione Fanteria “Superga" had been trained and organized as a “Divisione Assalto,” and had a modified organization, for the planned invasion of Malta. This was the premier division in the Italian Army, at the time. Keep in mind that the individual squads and weapon systems shown are for a game system.

--92° Reggimento Fanteria
----Comando + Compagnia Comando
----I° / 92° Reggimento Fanteria [Modified Metropolitan]
------Comando + Compagnia Comando
--------Plotone Esporatori – 3 x Rifle Squad
--------Plotone Lanciafiamme – (6 x FT)
------1° Compagnia Fucilieri – 9 x Rifle Squad, 4 x HMG, 3 x 45mm Mortar
------2° Compagnia Fucilieri – 9 x Rifle Squad, 4 x HMG, 3 x 45mm Mortar
------3° Compagnia Fucilieri – 9 x Rifle Squad, 4 x HMG, 3 x 45mm Mortar
------4° Compagnia Armi d'Accompagnamento – 6 x 81mm Mortar, 4 x 47/32 ATG
----(II° / 92° Reggimento Fanteria – Detached to the LI° Brigata Speciale)
----III° / 92° Reggimento Fanteria [Modified Metropolitan]
------Comando + Compagnia Comando
--------Plotone Esporatori – 3 x Rifle Squad
--------Plotone Lanciafiamme – (6 x FT)
------9° Compagnia Fucilieri – 9 x Rifle Squad, 4 x HMG, 3 x 45mm Mortar
------10° Compagnia Fucilieri – 9 x Rifle Squad, 4 x HMG, 3 x 45mm Mortar
------11° Compagnia Fucilieri – 9 x Rifle Squad, 4 x HMG, 3 x 45mm Mortar
------12° Compagnia Armi d'Accompagnamento – 6 x 81mm Mortar, 4 x 47/32 ATG
----Compagnia Zappatori Reggimentale (“Sappers”) – 9 x Combat Engineer Squad

Sources for my total Axis research for this scenario:

Montbrun

SOURCES:

UNPUBLISHED SOURCES:

NARA

Records Group 242:
Microcopy T78, Roll 398, File H1-43 – German units destroyed in North Africa
Microcopy T78, Roll 406, File H1-95 – German and Italian units in North Africa
Microcopy T313, Roll 416 – XC. Armeekorps / 5. Panzerarmee Records
Microcopy T313, Roll 417 – XC. Armeekorps / 5. Panzerarmee Records
Microcopy T313, Roll 418 – XC. Armeekorps / 5. Panzerarmee Records
Microcopy T313, Roll 457 – Panzerarmee “Afrika” / Deutsche-Italienische Panzerarmee
Microcopy T313, Roll 458 – Panzerarmee “Afrika” / Deutsche-Italienische Panzerarmee
Microcopy T313, Roll 460 – Panzerarmee “Afrika” / Deutsche-Italienische Panzerarmee / 1° Armata Records
Microcopy T313, Roll 470 – Panzerarmee “Afrika” / Deutsche-Italienische Panzerarmee / 1° Armata Records
Microcopy T313, Roll 471 – Panzerarmee “Afrika” / Deutsche-Italienische Panzerarmee / 1° Armata Records
Microcopy T315, Roll 768 – 21. Panzer-Division
Microcopy T315, Roll 1155 – 90. leichte Afrika-Division
Microcopy T315, Roll 1156 – 90. leichte Afrika-Division
Microcopy T315, Roll 1157 – 90. leichte Afrika-Division
Microcopy T315, Roll 2084 – 334. Infanterie-Division
Microcopy T315, Roll 2085 – 334. Infanterie-Division
Microcopy T315, Roll 2086 – 334. Infanterie-Division
Microcopy T315, Roll 2276 – Division von Broich / Division von Manteuffel
Microcopy T315, Roll 2277 – Division von Broich / Division von Manteuffel
Microcopy T315, Roll 2278 – Division von Broich / Division von Manteuffel
Microcopy T821, Roll 21 – Italian unit organizations in North Africa
Microcopy T821, Roll 198 – Italian units, and Italian unit organizations in North Africa
Lage Nordafrika – Daily Situation Maps for the following months:
December, 1942; January, 1943; February, 1943; March, 1943; April, 1943; and May,1943

PUBLISHED SOURCES:

Aberger, Heinz-Dietrich, “Die 5. (lei.) / 21. Panzer-Division in Nordafrika, 1941-1943,” Preussischer Miltär-Verlag,
Ljubljana, Slovenia, 1994.

Anonymous, “Seconda Controffensiva Italo-Tedesca in Africa Settentrionale da El Agheila a El Alamein (Gennaio – Settembre 1942),” Ministero della Difesa, Stato Maggiore Esercito – Ufficio Storico, Roma, 1971.

Anonymous, “Terza Offensiva Britannica in Africa Settentrionale – La Battaglia di El Alamein e il Ripiegamento in Tunisia (6 Settembre 1942 – 4 Febbraio 1943), Tomo I – Narrazione e Allegati,” Stato Maggiore Esercito – Ufficio Storico, Roma, 1961.

Anonymous, “Terza Offensiva Britannica in Africa Settentrionale – La Battaglia di El Alamein e il Ripiegamento in Tunisia (6 Settembre 1942 – 4 Febbraio 1943), Tomo II – Schizzi,” Stato Maggiore Esercito – Ufficio Storico, Roma, 1961.

Bender, Roger James, and George A. Peterson, “Hermann Göring: from Regiment to Fallschirmpanzerkorps,” Schuiffer Publishing, Ltd., Atglen, PA, 1995.
Boog, Horst, et al, “Germany and the Second World War – Volume VI – The Global War,” Oxford University Press, Inc., New York, New York, 2001.

Cappellano, Filippo, “Le Artiglierie del Regio Esercito, nella Seconda Guerra Mondiale,” Storia Militare, Parma, Italy; 1998.

Ceva, Lucio and Andrea Curami; “La Meccanizzazione dell’Esercito Fino al 1943,” Tomo I, Stato Maggiore dell’Esercito – Ufficio Storico, 2nd Edizione, Roma, Italy; 1994.

Ceva, Lucio and Andrea Curami; “La Meccanizzazione dell’Esercito Fino al 1943,” Tomo II, Stato Maggiore dell’Esercito – Ufficio Storico, 2nd Edizione, Roma, Italy; 1994

Crociani, P. and P.P. Battistelli, “Italian Army Elite Units & Special Forces 1940-43,” Osprey Publishing, Ltd., Oxford, UK, 2011.

Crociani, P., and P.P. Battistelli, “Italian Navy & Air Force Elite Units & Special Forces 1940-45,” Osprey Publishing, Ltd., Oxford, UK; 2013.

Dunning, Chris, “Courage Alone, The Italian Air Force 1940-1945,” Hikoki Publications, Ltd., Aldershot, UK, 1998.

Freiherr, Florian and Christian Bauermeister, “Der Arbeitsstab Stalingrad-Tunis, Übersicht der im Kampfraum Tunesien Eingesetzt Gewwsenen Heeres und Luftwaffen und Marine Einheiten,” vA & B Verlag, Nürnberg, 2010.

Hartman, Bernd, “Panzers in the Sand, The History of Panzer-Regiment 5, Volume Two, 1942-1945,” Stackpole Books, Mechanicsburg, PA, 2011.

Jentz, Thomas L., “Panzer Truppen – The Complete Guide to the Creation & Combat Employment of Germany’s Tank Force – 1943-1945,” Volume 1, Schiffer Publishing Ltd., Atglen, PA. 1996

Jentz, Thomas L., “Panzer Truppen – The Complete Guide to the Creation & Combat Employment of Germany’s Tank Force – 1943-1945,” Volume 2, Schiffer Publishing Ltd., Atglen, PA. 1996.

Jentz, Thomas L., “Panzer Tracts No. 10, Artillerie Selbstfahrlafetten – 15cm s.I.G. 33 auf Pz.Kpfw.I (ohne Aufbau) to Karl-Geraet (54cm),” Panzer Tracts, Boyds, MD, 2002.

Kurowski, Franz, “The History of the Fallschirm Panzerkorps Hermann Göring,” J.J. Fedorowicz Publishing Ltd., Winnipeg, Canada, 1995.

Lundari, Giuseppe, “I Paracadutisti Italiani 1937/45,” Editrice Militare Italiana, Milano, Italy, 1989.

Messe, Giovanni, “Operazioni Italo-Tedesche in Tunisia (11 Novembre 1942 – 13 Maggio 1943) Tomo 1 – La 1° Armata Italiana in Tunisia,” Ministero della Difesa, Stato Maggiore Esercito – Ufficio Storico, Roma, 1950.

Mehner, Kurt, “Die Geheimen Tagesberichte der Deutschen Wehrmachtfürung im Zweiten Weltkrieg 1939-1945,
Band 4: 1.Novembe 1941 - 31.Mai 1942,” Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück, Germany, 1992.

Mehner, Kurt, “Die Geheimen Tagesberichte der Deutschen Wehrmachtfürung im Zweiten Weltkrieg 1939-1945,
Band 5: 1.Juni 1942 - 30.November 1942,” Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück, Germany, 1991.
Band 6: 1.Dezember 1942 - 31.Mai 1943,” Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück, Germany, 1989.
Molinari, Andrea, “Desert Raiders: Axis and Allied Special Forces 1940-43,” Osprey Publishing, Ltd., Oxford, UK, 2007.

Montanari, Mario, “Le Operazioni in Africa Settentrionale – Volume III – El Alamein (Gennaio – Novembre 1942), Stato Maggiore dell’Esercito – Ufficio Storico, Roma, 1993.

Montanari, Mario, “Le Operazioni in Africa Settentrionale – Volume IV – Enfidaville (Novembre 1942 – Maggio 1943), Stato Maggiore dell’Esercito – Ufficio Storico, Roma, 1993.

Nash, Douglas L., “Rommel’s Lost Battalions,” “Army History: PB 20-12-3 (No. 84),” US Army Center of Military History, Washingtton, DC, Summer 2012.

Niehorster, Leo W.G., “German World War II Organizational Series – Volume 4/I – Mechanized Army Divisions – 28th June 1942,” Dr. Leo W.G. Niehorster, Hannover, Germany, 1994.

Niehorster, Leo W.G., “German World War II Organizational Series – Volume 4/II – Mechanized GHQ Units and Waffen-SS Formations – 28th June 1942,” The Military Press, Buckinghamshire, UK, 2004.

Murawski, Marek J., “Luftwaffe over Tunisia, November 1942 – February 1943,” Oficyna Wydawnicza KAGERO, Lublin, Poland, 2008.

Murawski, Marek J., “Luftwaffe over Tunisia Volume II, February - May 1943,” Oficyna Wydawnicza KAGERO, Lublin, Poland, 2009.

Otte, Alfred, “The HG Panzer Division,” Schiffer Publishing Ltd., West Chester, PA. 1989.

Pedriali, Ferdinndo, “L’Italia nella Guerra Aerea, da El-Alamein alla Spiagge della Sicilia (4 Novembre 1942 – 9 Iuglio 1943),” Aeronautica Militare, Ufficio Storico, Roma, 2010.

Pignato, Nicola, and Filippo Cappellano, “Gli Autoveicoli da Combattimento dell’Esercito Italiano – Volume Primo (dalle Origini Fino al 1939),” Stato Maggiore dell’Esercito, Ufficio Storico, Rome, Italy, 2002.

Pignato, Nicola, and Filippo Cappellano, “Gli Autoveicoli da Combattimento dell’Esercito Italiano – Volume Secondo (1940-1945),” Stato Maggiore dell’Esercito, Ufficio Storico, Rome, Italy, 2002.

Santoro, Giuseppe, “l’Aeronautica Italiana nella Seconda Guerra Mondiale, Volume Secondo,” Edizioni Esse Milano-Roma, Rome, Italy, 1957.

Schramm, Percy Ernst, “Kriegstagebuch des Oberkommando der Wehrmacht 1940-1945, Band II-1, 1. Januar 1942 – 31. Dezember 1942,” Bernard & Graefe Verlag für Wehtwesen, Frankfurt am Main, West Germany, 1963.

Schramm, Percy Ernst, “Kriegstagebuch des Oberkommando der Wehrmacht 1940-1945, Band II-2, 1. Januar 1942 – 31. Dezember 1942,” Bernard & Graefe Verlag für Wehtwesen, Frankfurt am Main, West Germany, 1963.

Schramm, Percy Ernst, “Kriegstagebuch des Oberkommando der Wehrmacht 1940-1945, Band III-1, 1. Januar 1943 – 31. Dezember 1943,” Bernard & Graefe Verlag für Wehtwesen, Frankfurt am Main, West Germany, 1963.

Sogno, Vittorio, “Operazioni Italo-Tedesche in Tunisia (11 Novembre 1942 – 13 Maggio 1943) Tomo II – il XXX° Corpo d’Armata Italiano in Tunisia,” Ministero della Difesa, Stato Maggiore Esercito – Ufficio Storico, Roma, 1952.

Stimpel, Hans-Martin, “Die Deutsche Fallschirmtruppe 1942-1945 – Einsätze auf Kriegsschauplätzen im Süden,” Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn GmbH, Hamburg, Germany, 2006.

Tessin, Georg, “Verbände und Truppen der Deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS, 1939-1945,” 17 Volumes, Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück, West Germany, 1979.

Montbrun....
Apart from the entire list of notable works that you mention, to which, however, I would add at least as many (I too am at least thirty years that I study organic compositions and Italian and foreign orders of battle concerning the 2nd World War) yours appears to be albeit just a purely academic thesis indeed if we want to see it in this respect not even absolutely right. It is indeed true that the Superga Division never became an As42 division on paper, and therefore its components did not even become one, but it is also true that in the Italian nomenclature of the Royal Army there was never an assault division. That diction derives from a distortion carried out by allied intelligence, which is moreover badly reported. The Superga as well as Friuli and Livorno, which together with La Spezia had to be employed on Malta, remained in fact registered for the Royal army as normal infantry divisions to which they were attacked for the elements that were normally related to corps units. armed to make them much more suited to the mision allocated to them. All this to say that on paper the division remained a division of infantry enhanced with a view to employment on Malta which never occurred. At that point it was hurriedly diverted to Tunisia. I repeat it is very true that NOT EVER turned into an AS but when it came to its place, the transformation took place in the field in the sense that its organic components were dismembered and used according to the canons that were at the moment the most popular in that war tetaro. Therefore ON THE FIELD both the counter-tank pieces and the mortars that the flamethrowers to the individual companies and dismembered were also operationally decentralized were the artillery and genius component to which on the field German and collaborationist components were added in uneven measure. If you have had access to war reports, you will find traces of them. However the fact remains that on paper your reasoning is perfect. As was the case for the La Spezia division, Superga never officially turned into AS42.
All the best
Maurizio

Montbrun

Montbrun....
Apart from the entire list of notable works that you mention, to which, however, I would add at least as many (I too am at least thirty years that I study organic compositions and Italian and foreign orders of battle concerning the 2nd World War) yours appears to be albeit just a purely academic thesis indeed if we want to see it in this respect not even absolutely right. It is indeed true that the Superga Division never became an As42 division on paper, and therefore its components did not even become one, but it is also true that in the Italian nomenclature of the Royal Army there was never an assault division. That diction derives from a distortion carried out by allied intelligence, which is moreover badly reported. The Superga as well as Friuli and Livorno, which together with La Spezia had to be employed on Malta, remained in fact registered for the Royal army as normal infantry divisions to which they were attacked for the elements that were normally related to corps units. armed to make them much more suited to the mision allocated to them. All this to say that on paper the division remained a division of infantry enhanced with a view to employment on Malta which never occurred. At that point it was hurriedly diverted to Tunisia. I repeat it is very true that NOT EVER turned into an AS but when it came to its place, the transformation took place in the field in the sense that its organic components were dismembered and used according to the canons that were at the moment the most popular in that war tetaro. Therefore ON THE FIELD both the counter-tank pieces and the mortars that the flamethrowers to the individual companies and dismembered were also operationally decentralized were the artillery and genius component to which on the field German and collaborationist components were added in uneven measure. If you have had access to war reports, you will find traces of them. However the fact remains that on paper your reasoning is perfect. As was the case for the La Spezia division, Superga never officially turned into AS42.
All the best
Maurizio
Do you have access to the Italian War Records in Rome? If so, we may be able to form a future collaboration involving $$.
Thanks,

Montbrun

I went to the SME archive personally three or four times but due to work problems I can't go now. But I have a friend (Italian) who sometimes did it for me. Unfortunately, however, the Italian archives are bureaucratic at best and the time is getting longer in a significant way. Furthermore, many of the files, especially in the North African campaign, are often unavailable or strangely not visible to the public. If you have any specific requests I can try to see if you can get answers .....
All the best
Maurizio