• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Admiral Arturo Riccardi

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
by JulioMoc » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:59 pm

Well, Admiral Arturo Riccardi is a mystery to me. I couldn't find anything about him. No dates of birth and death, nothing. I only know that he commanded RM from December 1940 to 1943.

Does anyone have any information about this man, or any picture maybe? These are especially rare AFAIK. I haven't seen any...
:?

------------

by Steen Ammentorp » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:29 am

Admiral Arturo Riccardi was a member of the Italian Senate and you will find a short bio of him (in Italian) and a picture at this url: http://notes9.senato.it/W3/senatoridita ... 0,riccardi

I hope you find it useful.

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War II

-------------

by SUPERMARINA » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:05 pm

Admiral Riccardi was one of the two "bright boys", the other was Adm. Domenico Cavagnari, of Grande Ammiraglio Thaon di Revel, the master and commander of the Regia Marina during World War One.
The two were fierce rivals until 1943. Cavagnari supported the battleships while Riccardi was the prophet of the sea lanes defense. These positions were the two faces of the same coin, of course.
Riccardi had been the commander of the Prima Squadra (the Taranto based part of the fleet in 1937-1939); he was responsible for the civilian traffic at first, in 1940, and become the chief of the navy in Dec. 1940.
The fact he was the godfather of Marcello Petacci (the brother of Mussolini unfortunate mistress) caused some voices against him, but the families were deep friendly since the beginning of the century so we can dismiss this "charge".

Riccardi had the fame of a good fellow but could be quite harsh as his strong hand confirmed during the 1942-1943 season of the Rotta della morte (Death route) for Tunis in spite of the tired condition of the officers and the crews of the DDs and the TBs, not to mention the freighters personnel.

According to a long memorandum of his dated Feb. 1943 and now at the Archivio Ufficio Storico della Marina Militare, he appreciated correctly the naval Anglosaxon effort in the Med. could not last beyond late Summer 1943. Italy, so, had to endure until that deadline, then she would be able to have got time again on her side until Summer 1944.
According to the same scenario in the meanwhile, the attrition on the British traffic would change the political terms of the war granting, at least, Italy, the chance to end the war in an honorable and profitable way.

He was sacked on 27 July 1943 by the new navy minister Adm. De Courten who wanted to be the only master of the navy (quite an understandable want, I believe).

He didn't join the Republican Fascist Navy, but like Thaon di Revel, Cavagnari, Iachino, and Sansonetti (this one was Riccardi deputy since July 1941 and, later, De Courte one until the Italian Armistice) he confirmed on 11 Sept 1943 the principle any officer and NCO of the Italian Navy had the moral right to chose his side of the fence; the only condition was to the best for the Navy and the Country.

After the war he retired; except for a brief forward for a book edited in the Fifties about the history of a DD commander he didn't write anything. With his old rival Cavgnari, anyway, did some conferences after the war; my late friend Bandini attended these conferences and his notes are, still today, quite precious to study that time.

EC

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
by JulioMoc » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:42 pm

Thanks for the info!
:D

I just have some doubts:

SUPERMARINA wrote:Riccardi had the fame of a good fellow, but could be quite harsh as his strong hand confirmed during the 1942-1943 season of the Rotta della morte (Death route) for Tunis in spite of the tired condiction of the officiers and the crews of the DDs and the TBs, not to mention the freighters personnel.

Please explain to me this "strong hand". Riccardi pushed the crews to continue the effort to supply Africa besides the intense Allied attack? What wore his actions then?

SUPERMARINA wrote:he appreciated correctly the naval Anglosaxon effort in the Med. could not last beyond late Summer 1943. Italy, so, had to endure until that deadline, then she would be able to have got time again on her side until Summer 1944.
According the same scenario in the meanwhile the attrition on the British traffic would change the political terms of the war granting, at least, Italy, the chance to end th ewar in an honourable and protitable way.

I didn't understand this "theory" of Riccardi. How could the Allied effort collapse in summer 1943? In which data he based himself when conceived this theory? What you with "attrition on the British traffic"?

-----------

by SUPERMARINA » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:54 am

Point A) Crews were formed by human beings, quite tired and often exhausted as there were always too few DD and TB for the route of death. Adm. Riccardi was able to minimize the protests (there was a 1943 song of the DD sailors "Bambine innamorate/ la guerra non la fate/ non la fan neppur le corazzate/ ma la fanno quei fessi dei CT) with the right mix of sturdiness and soft handling.
Nothing strange, all the DDs crews of the world were tired in 1943. There was even a mutiny on a Canadian DD in July 1943. An impulsive leader would have made a mess, an intelligent one, like him, paid visits to his men, the MTBs ones included, in the tiny islands too and could handle the situation.

Point B) The Anglosaxon navies could not act in the meanwhile both in the Med. Arctic Sea and the Pacific Ocean. Their offensive against Italy had to stop in Autumn 1943 if they were going to land in France next year; and if they didn't land USSR would made peace with Germany allowing, this way, the Axis to win the war, at least in Europe, as the USA and British Army would never face an half of the German Heer.
The weather season for big landings in Italy would be over for Autumn 1943 too.

His appreciation of the strategic reality made in Feb. 1943 was the right one, and 95% of what you can ask to an SAdmiral is a correct appreciation of the situation, the remainder is luck.
Unfortunately, the Senior service in Italy was the Army and the Italian generals were the worst in the Universe. They didn't understood a damn and believed the Allies had much more assets than truth. Think only at Badoglio asking, after the signature of the armistice on 3 Sept. 1943 (an act he did with his fellow Ambrosio, the real "brain" of the crooked deal without the knowledge and approval of the King, of the Foreign Minister Raffaele Guariglia and, of course, of the Navy, who didn't know about the matter until 5.15 PM 8 Sept. 1943) the Allies could land, please, 15 divisions when in Sicily and Normandy only 8 Divisions could be landed by the huge American Armada!

Bye

EC

---------

by JulioMoc » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:10 am

Thank you again!

So, in your point of view, Admiral Riccardi was a good officer and perform good work?

------------

by SUPERMARINA » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:02 am

My favorite is Adm. Domenico Cavagnari (I wrote his biography some years ago), but he was the right man in 1940 while Riccardi was the right guy in the right place in 1941, 1942 and above all 1943.
If we had had him (or simply if Marshal Cavallero had not been fired) instead of Ambrosio as chief of the Comando Supremo the music would have been quite a different one.

Greetings

EC

-------------

by JulioMoc » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:38 pm

SUPERMARINA wrote:My favourite is Adm. Domenico Cavagnari (I wrote his biography some years ago)

Is this biography in English? Could you send it to me?

--------------

by SUPERMARINA » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:45 am

No, it's in Italian. You can conctact the "Rivista Marittima" (look in the Marina Militare - the Italian Navy- site in the web for the address) Direction asking for a copy.

Bye

EC