• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Age old question about equipment

Bersagliere1940

lglg001068.jpg

Was the M31/33 gs bag ever used as a breadbag? I know it wasnt probably allowed but was it done?

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Not officially, but yes. Gas mask bags were used for a range of other tasks. As the M39 borsa tattica was used mainly as a back pack (you rarely see it carried as a tascapane in photos), the M33 (if issued) or the M35 gas mask bag was often used as a ditty bag. This was common in most armies. Soldiers would throw away their gas masks (or store them) and use the container for other items.

Bersagliere1940

Not officially, but yes. Gas mask bags were used for a range of other tasks. As the M39 borsa tattica was used mainly as a back pack (you rarely see it carried as a tascapane in photos), the M33 (if issued) or the M35 gas mask bag was often used as a ditty bag. This was common in most armies. Soldiers would throw away their gas masks (or store them) and use the container for other items.
Thanks fot the reply jeff, i'm sure italian officers werent as strict as the germans were, i'm sure if a german officer saw you without the mask in the contanier you would pass a bad time