• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Airfield revetments

Wargames

Aircraft revetments were earthen walls created to protect aircraft on three sides while parked on an airfield. I have found no mention of Italy using revetments and have never found a photo of a revetment on an Italian WW2 airfield (There are several photos of abandoned airfields during Operation Compass.). Does anyone know if they used them? It doesn't look that way.

1089maul

Wargames,
Interesting and unusual question.
I have just gone through my Regia Aeronautica books and cannot find revetments that you describe which surprises me!
The nearest I found is in the photo below which is constructed with bricks.
Regards,
Bob

Attachments

• D06F9374-B1B5-414A-84CE-D4E7EE4830EE.jpeg
    D06F9374-B1B5-414A-84CE-D4E7EE4830EE.jpeg
    1,018.1 KB · Views: 325

Wargames

Yours looks like 1943 and to be well made. Possibly Sicily. However, in photos of Catania, Sicily, I've only found one revetment.

The oldest picture I've found is a single revetment of simple block construction, probably 1941-42. but it won't post. I have no North African airfields with revetments - not even dirt.