• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Alpini badge

muzza

Can some help with identifying this badge please? Its provinence is that it's from my uncle who served in WW2 as an Alpino in Yugoslavia. He died in 1944/45 but gave this badge to his sister (my mother - since deceased). I cannot see this type in a simple google search.
Thank you
Badge.jpg

1089maul

Hi Muzak,
I have looked at my uniform books and cannot find anything that resembles this badge. Someone else in the forum may be able to help you. When you look at an Alpino uniform the badges tend to be cloth. Your badge may be an unofficial badge used by your Uncle’s regiment. Do you have a photograph of your uncle in his uniform which you can share with this forum?
Regards,
Bob

muzza

Hi Muzak,
I have looked at my uniform books and cannot find anything that resembles this badge. Someone else in the forum may be able to help you. When you look at an Alpino uniform the badges tend to be cloth. Your badge may be an unofficial badge used by your Uncle’s regiment. Do you have a photograph of your uncle in his uniform which you can share with this forum?
Regards,
Bob
Hi Bob. Thanks for your prompt response. I only have 2 photos of uncle Gioachino - both in his uniform. See attached (he is second from left)

Attachments

• GioacchinoOrtezReverseofPhotos+ID.pdf
    94.2 KB · Views: 232
  • GioacchinoOrtez2photo+ID.pdf
    93.5 KB · Views: 221

1089maul

Muzza,

Lovely photographs from your Uncle's service. We often get requests such as yours. It is nice to see a face behind the name.

It is also good to see that you have his service card.

Hopefully someone else may be able to identify your badge.

Regards,

Bob

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Good day Muzza

I have place your query in a separate thread.

I have looked through my books but haven't found this insignia. It is not an official, badge, but is a unit designed and procured badge. This was common with the alpini. Do you know in which battalion he served?

Is it possible to post a high-res picture/scan of the two photos? I am trying to see the insignia they are wearing on their tunic pockets. This was a common location for unit badges. Can you post a picture of the reverse (backside) of the badge?

Pista! Jeff