• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

ammunition carried

WAKEN

Hello everyone. Can anyone tell me what the official ammunition load was for the following:
6.5mm M1891 rifle - I believe the infantry had 2 ammunition pouches each with 4 x 6 round clips. So that would give 8 clips plus one in the rifle for a total of 54 rounds. Is that right?
6.5mm M1891 carbine - I believe non-infantry troops had a bandolier which could hold 4 x 6 round clips plus the one on the carbine, for a total of 30 rounds. Is that right?
6.5mm M1930 machinegun - how many 20 round magazines were officially carried by each machinegun team?

Thanks

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
From Le squadre della fanteria 1943 p. 12.

6.5mm M1891 rifle - 72 rounds with another 36 rounds in the unit trains. 18 rounds in each pouch (36 total in the pouches), 36 round in the borsa tattica.

6.5mm M1891 carbine - Same as the rifle. If part of a crew served weapon, 36 rounds.

6.5mm M1930 machinegun - 1800 rounds in 6 cassetta. Two cassetta carried by the ammo bearers, four cassetta in the unit trains. Each cassetta holds 15 chargers (300 rounds).

Pista! Jeff

WAKEN

Many thanks Jeff!
Do you happen to have the same information for the 46mm M1935 mortar, i.e. what the official ammunition load was for a 46mm mortar squad?

Thanks very much,
Neil

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I assume you mean the 45mm Brixia mortar.

Total of 120 bombe in four cassette. Each cassetta hold 30 bombe. One cassetta is carried with the gruppo mortai gruppo (the porta munizioni), one cassetta is carried in the gruppo munizione within the squadra (there are three gruppi mortai and one gruppo munizioni within the squadra). Two cassette are carried by the squadra salmerie in the comando, plotone mortai da 45.

Pista! Jeff