• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

An Analysis of Adolf Hitler’s Directive no. 18 - fact or fiction?

Winston

Fred,

Hitler could do nothing in the Mediterranean without the approval of Mussolini. We have to stop thinking in a German-concentric way. Franco wanted nothing to do with Hitler anyway. Invading Gibraltar and meddling in the Mediterranean was all pie-in-the-sky nonsense. The Italians would have put their foot down on it.
Fred, you are thinking of Hitler's directives as facts; they were not. They were simply a series of wishes and projected fantasies on the part of Hitler and his inner circle.

Without the full approval of the Italians, the Germans could do nothing in the Med. To think otherwise is to indulge in Hitlerite myths.

Winston

Yes, that's right. I am referring to that particular article. I wanted to leave a comment below it but it seems that I need to have a Facebook account, which I don't have , so I am posting my comment here.

Anyway, I thought this site was meant to be about the Italians and THEIR war; why does it always have to come back to the Germans and in particular, Hitler?

184 Nembo

Fred,

Hitler could do nothing in the Mediterranean without the approval of Mussolini. We have to stop thinking in a German-concentric way. Franco wanted nothing to do with Hitler anyway. Invading Gibraltar and meddling in the Mediterranean was all pie-in-the-sky nonsense. The Italians would have put their foot down on it.
Fred, you are thinking of Hitler's directives as facts; they were not. They were simply a series of wishes and projected fantasies on the part of Hitler and his inner circle.

Without the full approval of the Italians, the Germans could do nothing in the Med. To think otherwise is to indulge in Hitlerite myths.

About Spain, Wilhelm Canaris conspired against Hitler preventing Spain joining the war. Secondly the British govt. began pumping dollars into Spain, again to prevent Spain joining the war.