• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Arena's La Regia Aeronautics 1939-1943 vol terzo (1942)

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Arena’s La Aeronautica 1939-1943 vol. 3 (1942)

Free to a good home, you paid the postage.

I recently obtained an inexpensive set of Arena’s massive four volume history of the R.A. It was inexpensive because a US bookseller was trying to sell an Italian language work in the US and that vol terzo was damaged. I was fortunate to track down a replacement volume, so now have an extra vol. to give away.

Arena’s La Aeronautica 1939-1943 vol. 3 (1942) Click on pictures to enlarge.
Arena1.jpg

The book had been somewhere with some humidity. None of the pages are creased or wavy, but some were stuck together. I have been able to separate many with little to no damage (little is leaving a shading on the opposte page it was stuck to, see pics).
Arena3.jpg
Arena4.jpg
I would estimate 15-20 pages have damage where a piece of one page tore free and is stuck on the opposite page. These are usually small (see pic).
Arena5.jpgArena6.jpgArena7.jpg

Overall all, I estimate 50 pages of the 785 work are affected. I can’t say I have found all the stuck pages, but I believe I am close.

The other damage is the hinges are breaking. This can be easily repaired at home if professionally isn’t important. The cover is excellent.
Arena2.jpg
Arena8.jpg
There are no issues if using as a research tool. This was a critical year in the war and the volume is full of data. There are pictures on almost every page and pages without are likely compensated by multiple pictures on other pages. The pictures cover a wide range: air, sea, and ground. I found a picture of the «Monte Cervino» in Russia that I have never seen before. The pictures alone are worth the shipping as you can see above.

At 785 pages, it is a very heavy book (shipping for the set within the US was $30). A US member will likely pay $8-$12 (whatever the right ‘if it fits, it ships’ box will cost. This would be pricey to send overseas. I would expect $40 or so.

I am not trying to make money. If no one wants this volume, it will go into the recycling. First one to claim. PM

Pista! Jeff

Last edited:

FrancoFB

If i was in US i would ask, but i hope to find it in Italy.
However i ask a recension of the 2nd and 3rd volume, i've the 1st but probably would be better for the others you do also a recension of 1st

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Franco, yes, too expensive to ship.

I bought the 3rd volume in Italy. BANCARELLA AERONAUTICA

Is the word recension (recensione) meant to be review? What do you want to know about the books?

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
There is a set in Greece La Regia Aeronautica It appears to have the dust jackets as well, which I didn't know the set originally came with.

Pista! Jeff

FrancoFB

Franco, yes, too expensive to ship.

I bought the 3rd volume in Italy. BANCARELLA AERONAUTICA

Is the word recension (recensione) meant to be review? What do you want to know about the books?
review, yes recension is a false friend word, what you want but i'm mainly interested to production data
i suppose they are like the first volume with some confusion, i remember the unclear weapons situation for 1940, i think we have talked of this on the old forum

260 $ in one time it's too for me, but thanks for the link, i hope to buy one volume at time in some years