• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Assistance researching an Italian veteran.

MedalMan90

Although not fluent in Italian, I navigate through sources very well. This time however I seem to be getting stuck and could use some help researching this Long Service in Command Medal in Bronze. Any and all help is appreciated. Heres what I have found so far via the “Bollettino ufficiale”;

Name: Bitti Giuseppe.

Branch: Carabinieri Reali (CCRR)

Legion: Bari.

Awards: Long Service In Command Medal (Bronze), Order of the Crown (Officer).

Attachments

• 4DD5357A-959E-4439-86BC-502A41245CC2.jpeg
    4DD5357A-959E-4439-86BC-502A41245CC2.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 542

MedalMan90

From the Bollettino Ufficiale; Bitti’s promotion to Maresciallo d’allogio Maggiore October 31st 1927.

Attachments

• 1E6D34C1-473A-404F-BF80-352A9A1F23DC.jpeg
    1E6D34C1-473A-404F-BF80-352A9A1F23DC.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 571

MedalMan90

From the Bollettino Ufficiale; Bitti’s awarding of the Order of the Crown in 1942. It seems to be a retroactive award.

Attachments

• FE84AAB8-FB56-408D-80FF-391289629971.jpeg
    FE84AAB8-FB56-408D-80FF-391289629971.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 543

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Are you asking for what the Medaglia militare al merito di lungo comando is awarded?

Considerations:
-Officer must be SPE.
-Award was after 1935, although is is unclear whether it could be awarded retroactively. I assume it was, being a service award.
-CC.RR. was part of the military, so eligible for this award. This changed in 2010 when the CC.RR. was given their own version of this award.

From various Wiki pages:

Conferita «agli ufficiali del Regio Esercito, in servizio permanente effettivo o delle categorie in congedo, che abbiano raggiunto globalmente nei gradi successivamente ricoperti anche in più riprese, i (...) periodi minimi di comando di reparto [sopraindicati]» (regio decreto 13 maggio 1935, n. 908)

[Conferred "to the officers of the Royal Army, in actual permanent service or categories of official leave, who have overall reached the grades subsequently covered, even on several occasions, the (...) minimum periods of unit command [indicated above]" (Royal Decree May 13, 1935, No. 908)]
-------
La medaglia venne istituita con regio decreto 13 maggio 1935, n. 908 con l'intento di dare un riconoscimento formale ad ogni ufficiale con un ruolo di comando che avesse prestato un certo periodo di tempo impiegato nelle forze armate italiane.

La medaglia era concessa nelle tre varianti oro, argento o bronzo a seconda degli anni di servizio prestati, indipendentemente dal corpo di appartenenza.

La medaglia è una decorazione di anzianità e di conseguenza viene concessa semplicemente in riconoscimento degli anni di permanenza in servizio e non per una specifica azione di merito personale. Questa medaglia, inoltre, non era prodotta dalla zecca di Roma ma veniva fatta coniare privatamente dagli insigniti o dal comando a cui erano assegnati.
---------
L'Ordine della Corona d'Italia dei Cavalieri is a fairly high honorary award. In this case, it was a retirement award (per il collocamento a riposo).

Pista! Jeff

MedalMan90

Hey Jeff! I appreciate the insight on the individual awards. I’m really looking to learn more about the soldier who’s name is on the medal.
Like date of birth, all the places he was stationed, things like that.

~MM

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
MM

Unless the individual is famous or for some other reason left a mark in history, there is little anyone can offer on Bitti Giuseppe. If you have a direct family connection, you can request his service records from the province of his birth (the military records for both 1 & 2GM are now maintained by the provinces).

Pista! Jeff

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member

MedalMan90

For the most part, this is all true. Especially when researching enlisted men.

In the past I’ve been able to work around the privacy laws using sources like “Bollittino Ufficiale” and “Gazzetta Ufficiale” when researching officers (Lieutenants-Generals) and have was able to find an abundant amount of information. I remain hopeful that new information becomes known in the future.