• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Bagnasco and de Toro's books about Italian battleships

DrG

Erminio Bagnasco and Augusto de Toro have published a true masterpiece, a must have not only for people insterested in the Regia Marina in WW2, but in general for everybody interested in this naval conflict and in the technique of warships. This masterpiece is the well known "The Littorio Class. Italy's Last and Largest Battleships".

Now I have just discovered that another masterpiece by the same authors is going to hit the bookstores: "Italian Battleships. 'Conte di Cavour' & 'Duilio' Classes 1911-1956" (see also https://www.usni.org/press/books/italian-battleships). I have its Italian (abriged?) edition, published in two parts in the series "Storia Militare Dossier", and I could not praise it too much. Its English language edition will become a classic with no doubt.

1089maul

Afternoon all,

I have the first book that Dr G mentions an heartily recommend it as a reference book. It is the most complete book relating to the Littorio class!

I have pre-ordered the second book here in the UK and it is due for delivery in the 20th May. Cant wait!

Regards to all,

Bob

DrG

1089maul, when you will get the book about Cavour and Duilio battleships, may you tell us your opinion and provide its table of contents, please? I would like to understand whether it's identical to the two booklets published by "Storia Militare" or it's more complete.

1089maul

DrG,
Yes, of course! I am hoping that the second book will resemble the first. I have looked at my order and it appears that it may be arriving towards the end of month.
Regards,
Bob

Reactions: DrG

1089maul

DrG,
The book has arrived at last.
The latest book has 280 pages against the 356 for the Littorio class book. I quick span of the book reveals that it is similar to the Littorio book and contains many photographs.
I attach relevant photos below.
Let me know if you need anything else!
Regards,
Bob

Attachments

• 1B38FB62-5570-427B-B069-70B5B4028174.jpeg
    1B38FB62-5570-427B-B069-70B5B4028174.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 362
  • 6BBF24C8-019F-4729-9DD4-B7A63CBEFF93.jpeg
    6BBF24C8-019F-4729-9DD4-B7A63CBEFF93.jpeg
    1,000.8 KB · Views: 357
  • 575C8388-1279-4A2E-8D3B-9033BDEA3B80.jpeg
    575C8388-1279-4A2E-8D3B-9033BDEA3B80.jpeg
    1,004.5 KB · Views: 360

DrG

Thank you for your review! I see that the table of contents is the same of the Italian edition and the number of pages is similar. I am a bit disappointed by the fact that Bagnasco hasn't added a further chapter/appendix about the service of the batteship Cesare in the Soviet Navy and its loss in Sevastopol, because he has published an interesting article about this topic in "Storia Militare" and it would have added even more useful information to this English-language edition. Anyway, this is the only shortcoming I may find in this book.

1089maul

There are six pages devoted to the Guilio Cesar being transferred to the Soviet Navy and does include a brief description of its service. I would be more than happy to email you the pages as I am not sure if it would be appropriate to put them on this thread due to copyright laws??? Bob