• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Battaglione Di Formazione

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 08 January 2012 by Segismundo

I am curious about what a "battaglione di formazione" is and how to translate it into English. The battaglione Val Tanaro, for example, was such a unit. At first I thought it was a "training battalion," whatever that might be, but now I think I'm wrong and that it's something akin to the "battaglioni complementi" also designated with the names of valleys. Looking around, it seems that "battaglioni di formazione" might also be just newly formed battalions. I'd be grateful for any info.

-------------

Posted 08 January 2012 by madmike

The 'di formazione' suffix means that the battaglione (or any other group) is formed temporarily with forces from other units.

---------------

Posted 16 January 2012by arturolorioli
madmike, on 08 January 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:
The 'di formazione' suffix means that the battaglione (or any other group) is formed temporarily with forces from other units.

Basically correct, but in more general terms it could also means just a "provisional battalion" formed from personnel of the same unit. An example is the "Gruppo Squadroni di Formazione" (Gruppo Squadroni is the Italian name for a cavalry battalion-sized unit) of the "Genova Cavalleria", formed by the regimental depot, that fough against the Germans in Roma, Sept. 9th/10th 1943.

---------------

Posted 19 January 2012 by Segismundo

arturolorioli, on 16 January 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:
Basically correct, but in more general terms it could also means just a "provisional battalion" formed from personnel of the same unit. An example is the "Gruppo Squadroni di Formazione" (Gruppo Squadroni is the Italian name for a cavalry battalion-sized unit) of the "Genova Cavalleria", formed by the regimental depot, that fough against the Germans in Roma, Sept. 9th/10th 1943.

Thanks for the additional bit, Arturo.