• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Battaglione esplorante

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I am trying to pin down information on these units. The XXXIX btg. esplorante is mentioned as part of the «La Spezia» and deployed to Africa (Terza offensiva tomo 1, p.466). The X btg. esplorante is part of the d. moto. «Piave» in Sep 1943 (Le operazione settembre-ottobre 1943 p.91).

I am assuming these units have three companies.

The X btg. espl. has one squadron of semoventi da 47. (Gli autoveicoli vol. 2, p.226). It has one compagnia autoblindo (bersaglieri) (ibid p.129).

I can’t find anything on the XXXIX btg. esplorante. «La Spezia» was a d. aviotrasportabile. The btg. esplorante was part of the original d. avoit. design so the idea of it having armored cars and semoventi is unlikely. I have an unconfirmed source that states it was two ‘light’ companies and one ‘heavy’ company, but have no idea what a light or heavy company would consist of. I am assuming that the light companies were motorcycle, but what would the heavy consist of? This configuration was when the divisions was in A.S., so was the organization modified/changed from that of the original design?

The btg. esplorante are listed/discussed separately from the R.E.Co, the R.E.C., and the N.E.C., so appear to be a different type of unit.

Any ideas?

Pista! Jeff

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
While in the archive I noticed documents on the btg. esplorante. I didn't stop and read them as it was the first day and I had a lot of files to go through. When I arrived, I was only authorized three days in the archive. The staff was very kind and allowed me a fourth day. I barely got through the files I had asked for.

I know the issue of the esplorante is complex. That s why I decided not to try to red through all the documents knowing my time in Rome was limited. This topic is on my research list for the next time.

Pista!