• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Battle of Mechilli-Derna January 1941

jbroshot

Happy to have been of assistance

And FWIW

The volumes of official Italian Army history of the war in North Africa can be found on ISSUU, you can read them but not download them.

Part One of the first volume

And an English translation (probably by machine, and not very good) is available at Internet Archive (along with all the others, as best as I can tell)

Last edited:

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Jim has provided several good sources. Note that all of them are incomplete, leaving many unanswered questions.

The Australian official histories are located HERE . The first Army vol To Benghazi covers the period in question.

The first vol of the UK official, Mediterranean & Middle East vol. I is HERE .

Jim provided the links to the Montanari Italian official history. The better source for this period is the earlier Italian officials which sadly are not available on the web.

Maurizio and I are working on a book covering this period of the campaign in A.S. (Jun 40–Feb 41). It has been slow going, but hope to have it finished by early 2025.

Pista! Jeff

Oasis

Wadi Derna (southern portion of the Derna line): 2nd Battalion, 86th Inf. Rgt., Sabratha Division, Depot infantry battalion from 115th Inf. Rgt, Marmarica Division, 17th Machinegun Battalion from Brescia Division.
The correct number for the Brescia Machinegun Battalion is XXVII, involved on the Derna line on 25-29 january 1941.
Toni

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Toni

While the XXVII is the correct number for the btg. mitr. from the d. f. «Brescia», that battalion wasn't at Derna. The btg. mitr. at Derna was the XVII btg. mitr. from the «Pavia».

Both of the Italian histories have confused the two units. I believe this started as a typo (XVII and XXVII) and never corrected. I discuss this issue in detail in Infantrymen of the Air, p.89 fn.18.

Pista! Jeff

Oasis

Toni

While the XXVII is the correct number for the btg. mitr. from the d. f. «Brescia», that battalion wasn't at Derna. The btg. mitr. at Derna was the XVII btg. mitr. from the «Pavia».

Both of the Italian histories have confused the two units. I believe this started as a typo (XVII and XXVII) and never corrected. I discuss this issue in detail in Infantrymen of the Air, p.89 fn.18.

Pista! Jeff
jwsleser
Thanks for the information.
In reality I have news that the XXVII btg MG (Brescia) is surrounded and destroyed north of Agedabia, and I was convinced that it had also participated in the defense on the Derna line.
Toni