• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Best Italian Aircraft in WWII

Best Italian Aircraft in WWII

• Fiat G.55

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • SM.79

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • RE.2005

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MC.205

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Your choice can be based on performance as well as effectiveness. If you chose other, please tell us which aircraft and why.

For bomber I picked the SM 79 for its versatility and length of service.
For a fighter I would probably pick the M.C. 205. As far as I know it has the best war record out of the 3 choices.
I honestly don't know much about the service of the other 2 fighters.

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
For bomber I picked the SM 79 for its versatility and length of service.
For a fighter I would probably pick the M.C. 205. As far as I know it has the best war record out of the 3 choices.
I honestly don't know much about the service of the other 2 fighters.
Make sure you vote :)

Peleliu81

Out of your choices I will go with the SM.79. Real workhorse for RA. Maybe best land based torpedo bomber in the war??

My "favorite" however is the MC.202 Folgore. Needed to be 'up-gunned' but man is it a good looking plane!

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Just out of curiosity, is everyone seeing the voting poll on the top of this thread? Just making sure since only one other person made a voted on the poll.

Peleliu81

Originally could not see way to vote just choices. Excepted cookies and could see. Put my vote in. Thanks

1089maul

I have gone for other as the question is a little too limited in choice. Yes the fighters listed were good but produced too late and too few in number. I would go for the Macchi 202 as it was a ‘Workhorse’ for the Regia Aeronautica during a difficult period.
Regards,
Bob

FrancoFB

M.C. 202 also for me
the italian bomber were bad, the good propaganda on the S.M. 79 don't make it good

FrancoFB

Oh yes was a good fast passenger in 1934, but the question was on aircraft in the ww2 and was a bad bomber or a mediocre bomber, there were also worst

Dili

It does not matter if it was a mediocre bomber, the question is if it was the best Italians had. Well from torpedo results it seems it was. While the more modern Cz1007 was faster and had actually a turret it was almost as defenceless was not good for torpedo and being wood build was a problem.