• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Best overall book on El Alamein?

Peleliu81

Looking for suggestions/opinions on what is the best overall book on the battles of El Alamein.

I have read several, but wonder what this group likes that gives a balanced (or as much as possible) account from German, British, and ITALIAN perspective/sources.

As we know, it is the Italian role that is almost always minimized/under reported.

Thanks.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
The book to start with is Montanari's The Three Battles of El Alamein. This is a translation of the third volume, second half of his Le operazioni in Africa settentrionale volume III El Alamein, done by the USSME. Gives a balanced account with focus on the Italian efforts during the battle. To me, a must read for anyone trying to understand all aspects of the battle.

It is a pretty good translation. If you have read the original, nothing new. It has all the in-text maps. It doesn't have the allegati, which is a disappointment.

The book is still in print.

Attachments

• Three-Battles-Alamein-a.jpg
    Three-Battles-Alamein-a.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 654

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member

1089maul

Afternoon all,
I would put forward ‘Alamein, an Italian story’ by Paolo Caccia-Dominioni. This book gives a more personal account of the time from the Italian soldiers view. It also includes Caccia-Dominioni’s efforts to collect the dead from the battlefield after the war and bring them together in respective cemeteries.
Regards,
Bob M

Attachments

• 13D5BDC6-B831-4C6C-B6E7-6EF52818580E.jpeg
    13D5BDC6-B831-4C6C-B6E7-6EF52818580E.jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 659

Peleliu81

Thank you both. I’m reading a book on Montgomery and like just most I have read covering the battles the Italian forces are all but ignored. Thanks again