• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Brigade General Carlo Isasca

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
by GLADIVM » Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 am

I am interested to know details about the death of Brigade General Carlo Isasca murdered by Tito's partisans in 1945

Thanks for any help.

------------

by FB » Wed May 02, 2007 9:24 pm

Afaik he was not "murdered": officially he was sentenced to death and executed.

I posted what I know about him here: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?p=924421#924421.

-------------

by GLADIVM » Thu May 03, 2007 4:29 am

Thanks FB ,

I knew that Isasca was executed after a mock trial by partisans, and I stand that he was murdered, but did not know the reason for the supposed treason for which he was indicted.

I have read about the post armistice vicissitudes of Venezia and their initial alliance with Chetniks but could not find details about Isasca role and which episode had targeted him as an enemy of the partisans.
Besides Isasca several other Italian officers who had joined Jugoslav resistance were murdered ( officially executed) on spurious charges or accused of still harboring fascist feelings. Unfortunately on them have been placed a veil of silence as to criticize the then allied Titoists was unacceptable for the Italian communists.

I had not noticed yr post in Axis Forum and thank again for having pointed it out to me.

------------

by FB » Thu May 03, 2007 5:07 am

What surprises me the most is that the Titoists waited for almost two years before they put up their vengeance (if this was the case, of course) against Gen. Isasca.

Why waiting so much? The trial could have taken place well before 1945 I guess.

Best regards.

-----------

by Lupo Solitario » Thu May 03, 2007 6:25 am

many possibilities...in 1943 war was still to be decided, in 1945 the final end was evident...better waiting for solving this sort of troubles.

The entire story seems to be some sort of warning and/or declaration. As a whole, it reminds me of the Bellomo case.

----------

by GLADIVM » Fri May 04, 2007 12:44 am

It is a strange story, why was Isasca not repatriated in 1943/44? several Italian generals were taken out of Yugoslavia and went to southern Italy.

It would be interesting to know if he was already held prisoners by Tito's partisans in 1944 or if he was arrested in 1945 just prior to his trial.

Unfortunately, Isasca fate has not been researched in deep and leaves many question marks that by now are impossible to decipher.

Yours

GLADIVM

----------

by GLADIVM » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:59 am

I found the names of other two Italian officers murdered by the Titoist's for having supplied weapons to Chetniks in the early days after the armistice.

Lt Colonel Ezio Stuparelli Chief of Staff of Infantry Division Venezia and Major Ferro C.O. of one of the battalions of 83 IR.
(source is a report made by Major Lionello Albertini belonging to Command of Venezia division and later C.O. of 4th Brigade with division Garibaldi fighting along with the partisans and related in the book " Fronte Jugoslavo - balcanico c'ero anch'io cared by Giulio Bedeschi )

Also for them was organized a mock trial ( do not know if already in 1943 or later ) and were condemned to death. An unfair judgment especially for Major Ferro who had just followed a higher order.

Can anyone add info about these two officers?

Yours

GLADIVM