• As some of you know, the old forum database was deleted by the previous administrator. I am attempting to paste any retrievable discussions back into this forum using the internet archive. It won't look pretty - but at least we can preserve some valuable information. Feel free to add to the discussions as these old posts are restored.

Carcano M38 & others

Another blast of youtube videos featuring, this time, the Carcano M38:
Forgotten Weapons:
Field shoot with the Shooting Channel:
The M41:
Backyard Ballistics:
The 7.35 version. I believe they went to the Finnish before the war:

jwsleser

Staff member
I have been trying to free up some time to post.

Thanks for the videos. I have always believed that the M38 fucile corto was a very good design for a service rifle. It didn't have all the bells and whistles, but was simple to produce and effective for what designed for: as a combat rifle.

The video points out one issue that shooters didn't understand when they tested the rifle: the different bullet diameter. But the video missed the other issue that shooters didn't understand: the different sight picture. In the one video where the shooter is sating the rounds are going high, that is because he is using the wrong sight picture.

jimpickens

I have one that I traded a shotgun for although it doesn't have a bayonet it is in mint condition and shoots great the only trouble I have is finding ammunition for it.

jwsleser

Staff member
Yes, finding new ammunition is a challenge. I am not sure any company makes it. If you are a pleasure shooter, you might try reloading. I had a Lee hand reloading set for Carcano 6.5 x 52 years ago. I could reload 30-50 rounds in an hour or so. The main challenge was finding the correct diameter bullets.

Edit: it appears Prvi Partizen and Norma still make it. Target Sports USA

Last edited:

jwsleser

Staff member
I have fired numerous service weapons from multiple countries in both my military career and as a reenactor. I won't state that the M38 or M91/38 were best service rifles of WW2, but they were quite serviceable and effective. What I appreciated is that they are very handy to use and easy to maintain. The 7.35 is a very good round, while the 6.5 is serviceable.