• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Chertkovo

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:26 am by Abel Ravasz

Hi all,

parallel to an up-and-running thread at the Feldgrau forum, I'd like to start a new topic here to discuss the Italian forces that were present at the defense of the vital city.

Chertkovo (or Tschertkowo, Cerkovo, whatever) played an important role in the establishing of a new defensive line after the Little Saturn offensive. The city held out in encirclement for almost a full month, and the garrison, led by the German 298. Infanterie Division, broke through to the west and survived this ordeal.

Appart from the numerous German units present in the city, there was a high number of Italian troops from a plethora of units. I'd like to discuss them one by one.

----------------------------

52. Divisione Autotransportabile Torino
Movement
This division was part of the XXIX. German Armekorps on the Don. After the breakthroughs both to the left and the right of the division, it eventually retreated to the south and on 20/12 joined the so-called Blocco Nord, or else called the 298. I.D.'s column, and made its way to Chertkovo.
Commander
The divisional commander was Generale di Divisione Roberto Lerici. Another general, Generale di Brigata Cesare Rossi, leader of the divisional infantry was also present with the grouping. Soon enough, Lerici was in command of all Italian forces at Chertkovo.
Composition
The full division was present at the city, compromising the 81. and 82. "Torino" infantry regiments, as well as the 52. motorized artillery regiment.
Questions:
- I'd need a more accurate listing of the sub-units of the division.
- what was the approximate strength of the division before the retreat?
- was the full staff in command of the Italian forces in Chertkovo? Or was the Comando delle Truppe Italiane in linea a Tcertkovo formed from another staff, with Lerici becoming the commander?

9. Divisione Autotransportabile Pasubio
Movement
Was part of the XXXV. Italian Corps on the Don. Suffered heavily 17/12 from the Russian attacks, and its positions were broken through. Was supported by the CCNN Raggruppamento 3 Gennaio. On 19/12 unit started the retreat to the south, joining themselves to the 298. I.D. On 20/12 parts of the division are cut off at Popovka, and end up joining the Blocco Sud, including the divisional HQ and the bulk of the 79. "Roma" infantry regiment under the command of colonel Mazzocchi. The bulk of the division followed the 298. I.D., and ended up at Chertkovo. Was attached to the command of General Lerici.
Commander
Divisional commander Generale di Divisione Guido Boselli was cut off from the division at Popovka. I assume command passed to the commander of the 80. infantry regiment, Tenente Colonnello G.B. Casassa.
Composition
Appr. half of the division made its way to Chertkovo; most of the 80. "Roma" infantry regiment, the 3. motorized artillery regiment and most of the divisional units, but not the 79. regiment and the divisional staff.
Questions:
- who was the commander of the Pasubio grouping at Chertkovo?
- when did the division pass under general Lerici's control?
- could any one describe what exactly happened at Popovka?

Gruppo Capizzi
Movement
Formed 17/12 from parts of the Ravenna Division to cover the left flank of the 298. I.D., to which they are immediately subordinated, and follow the division until Chertkovo.
Commander
Generale di Brigata Manlio Capizzi, divisional infantry commander of the Ravenna Division. Stays with the troops until the breakthrough as the only general to do so besides Lerici.
Composition
Mainly made up of elements of the 37. "Ravenna" infantry regiment, and support units.
Questions:
- does anyone have a more clear composition of this grouping?
-when did the group finally return to its parent division?

Raggruppamento CCNN "3 Gennaio"
Movement
Was a direct attachment to the XXXV. Italian Corps on the Don. From the early days of December, the group was sent to assist the Division Pasubio and suffered heavy casualties there. Joined the division in the retreat, albeit parts of the unit were cut off at Popovka with the Mazzocchi regiment. Formed the core of the Italian armies at Chertkovo
Commander
Luogotenente Generale Filippo Diamanti
Composition
Gruppo Battaglioni CCNN "Montebello"(VI., XXX., XII.), Gruppo Battaglioni CCNN "Tagliamento" (LXIII., LXXIX., LXIII. support). Some parts of Tagliamento not present at Chertkovo.
Questions:
- what parts of the grouping were cut off at Popovka? As far as I know, parts of the LXIII. and LXXIX. bns ended up with Mazzocchi column. Can anyone confirm this?
- when was the group assigned to the Pasubio?
- where was the group assigned at Chertkovo? To the Pasubio, or to Lerici directly?

Gruppo Manari
Movement
This grouping of bersaglieris arrived from the area of Meskov, where their regiment was destroyed. They avoided destruction, and ended up at Chertkovo as the garrison there.
Commander
Tenente Colonnello Virginio Manari, who fell on 1/1/43 and was replaced by Major Cesare Massone.
Composition
Fragments from the 3. Bersaglieri Regiment, reinorced from bits and pieces of every available unit in the vicinity of Chertkovo.
Questions:
- as far as I know, these units arrived at the city from the area of Meskov. But Corti suggests they came from Italy via train. Which version is correct?
- when did this group arrive at Chertkovo? Was it the 23/12?
- any hint on the strength of this unit?
- was the designation "garrison commander of Chertkovo" used by Corti a real name or just a made up one?

And now to the smaller units.

Raggruppamento CCNN "23 Marzo"
Several sources mention a contingent of this unit present at Chertkovo. Any hint on who these men were, who their commander was and how did they get there? Maybe with Capizzi?

201. Reggimento Artiglieria Motorizzato
Parts of this unit are quoted to be part of the Blocco Nord. Corti also confirm this. But what parts, and from where?

9. Raggruppamento Artiglieria d'Armata
The same applies here. Parts of the unit were deployed with the XXXV. Corps and might have ended up at Chertkovo. Any data on this?

30. Raggruppamento Artiglieria di Corpo d'Armata
Organic part of the XXXV. Corps. Might have been present at Chertkovo, informations needed.

---------------------------

People! Any info, corrections, other units, bits and pieces... Everything is welcome! Your help would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:13 pm by Lupo Solitario

God, Abel I fear you have to wait til tomorrow for answers...anyway I'd try...

Abel Ravasz wrote:----------------------------

52. Divisione Autotransportabile Torino
Movement
This division was part of the XXIX. German Armekorps on the Don. After the breakthroughs both to the left and the right of the division, it eventually retreated to the south and on 20/12 joined the so-called Blocco Nord, or else called the 298. I.D.'s column, and made its way to Chertkovo.
Commander
The divisional commander was Generale di Divisione Roberto Lerici. Another general, Generale di Brigata Cesare Rossi, leader of the divisional infantry was also present with the grouping. Soon enough, Lerici was in command of all Italian forces at Chertkovo.
Composition
The full division was present at the city, compromising the 81. and 82. "Torino" infantry regiments, as well as the 52. motorized artillery regiment.
Questions:
- I'd need a more accurate listing of the sub-units of the division.
- what was the approximate strength of the division before the retreat?
- was the full staff in command of the Italian forces in Chertkovo? Or was the Comando delle Truppe Italiane in linea a Tcertkovo formed from another staff, with Lerici becoming the commander?​

56th and 66th Carabinieri (MP) section
81st Infantry regiment on three battalions, a mortar company and a support cannon company
82nd Infantry regiment as 81st
XXVI and LII mortar battalion
52nd and 171st cannon company
52nd motorized Field artillery regiment on 1 100mm battalion, 2 75mm battalions, 2 20mm AA companies and 1 75mm AT battery
57th pioneer comapny
52nd signal company

before arrival of north column there was not an high italian command in TCherkowo AFAIK the highest rank officer there was a lt.col.. As highest rank italian officer Lerici was the natural leader and had his staff at disposition

9. Divisione Autotransportabile Pasubio
Movement
Was part of the XXXV. Italian Corps on the Don. Suffered heavily 17/12 from the Russian attacks, and its positions were broken through. Was supported by the CCNN Raggruppamento 3 Gennaio. On 19/12 unit started the retreat to the south, joining themselves to the 298. I.D. On 20/12 parts of the division are cut off at Popovka, and end up joining the Blocco Sud, including the divisional HQ and the bulk of the 79. "Roma" infantry regiment under the command of colonel Mazzocchi. The bulk of the division followed the 298. I.D., and ended up at Chertkovo. Was attached to the command of General Lerici.
Commander
Divisional commander Generale di Divisione Guido Boselli was cut off from the division at Popovka. I assume command passed to the commander of the 80. infantry regiment, Tenente Colonnello G.B. Casassa.
Composition
Appr. half of the division made its way to Chertkovo; most of the 80. "Roma" infantry regiment, the 3. motorized artillery regiment and most of the divisional units, but not the 79. regiment and the divisional staff.
Questions:
- who was the commander of the Pasubio grouping at Chertkovo?
- when did the division pass under general Lerici's control?
- could any one describe what exactly happened at Popovka?​

I don't remember Casassa but I have to control. Lerici assumed control of italian forces after Popovka. All to be controlled tomorrow

Gruppo Capizzi
Movement
Formed 17/12 from parts of the Ravenna Division to cover the left flank of the 298. I.D., to which they are immediately subordinated, and follow the division until Chertkovo.
Commander
Generale di Brigata Manlio Capizzi, divisional infantry commander of the Ravenna Division. Stays with the troops until the breakthrough as the only general to do so besides Lerici.
Composition
Mainly made up of elements of the 37. "Ravenna" infantry regiment, and support units.
Questions:
- does anyone have a more clear composition of this grouping?
-when did the group finally return to its parent division?​

mainly by troops of 37th infantry regiment, remnant to be controlled

Raggruppamento CCNN "3 Gennaio"
Movement
Was a direct attachment to the XXXV. Italian Corps on the Don. From the early days of December, the group was sent to assist the Division Pasubio and suffered heavy casualties there. Joined the division in the retreat, albeit parts of the unit were cut off at Popovka with the Mazzocchi regiment. Formed the core of the Italian armies at Chertkovo
Commander
Luogotenente Generale Filippo Diamanti
Composition
Gruppo Battaglioni CCNN "Montebello"(VI., XXX., XII.), Gruppo Battaglioni CCNN "Tagliamento" (LXIII., LXXIX., LXIII. support). Some parts of Tagliamento not present at Chertkovo.
Questions:
- what parts of the grouping were cut off at Popovka? As far as I know, parts of the LXIII. and LXXIX. bns ended up with Mazzocchi column. Can anyone confirm this?
- when was the group assigned to the Pasubio?
- where was the group assigned at Chertkovo? To the Pasubio, or to Lerici directly?​

in general terms, question is meaningless. Italian forces were no more organized units after Arbusowo

Gruppo Manari
Movement
This grouping of bersaglieris arrived from the area of Meskov, where their regiment was destroyed. They avoided destruction, and ended up at Chertkovo as the garrison there.
Commander
Tenente Colonnello Virginio Manari, who fell on 1/1/43 and was replaced by Major Cesare Massone.
Composition
Fragments from the 3. Bersaglieri Regiment, reinorced from bits and pieces of every available unit in the vicinity of Chertkovo.
Questions:
- as far as I know, these units arrived at the city from the area of Meskov. But Corti suggests they came from Italy via train. Which version is correct?
- when did this group arrive at Chertkovo? Was it the 23/12?
- any hint on the strength of this unit?
- was the designation "garrison commander of Chertkovo" used by Corti a real name or just a made up one?​

I believe it's the little formation of bersaglieri replacements for Celere arriving from italy which was blocked in Tcherkowo by soviet advance and had an important role in defending the town before the arrival of "north column". Its commander is the lt. col. I told before. The definition of Corti doesn't match any official one

And now to the smaller units.

Raggruppamento CCNN "23 Marzo"
Several sources mention a contingent of this unit present at Chertkovo. Any hint on who these men were, who their commander was and how did they get there? Maybe with Capizzi?​

probably but not sure. There was pure chaos in those days

201. Reggimento Artiglieria Motorizzato
Parts of this unit are quoted to be part of the Blocco Nord. Corti also confirm this. But what parts, and from where?​

answer tomorrow...

9. Raggruppamento Artiglieria d'Armata
The same applies here. Parts of the unit were deployed with the XXXV. Corps and might have ended up at Chertkovo. Any data on this?

30. Raggruppamento Artiglieria di Corpo d'Armata
Organic part of the XXXV. Corps. Might have been present at Chertkovo, informations needed.

---------------------------

People! Any info, corrections, other units, bits and pieces... Everything is welcome! Your help would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Abel​

as over...

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:29 am by Lupo Solitario

I'm consulting many sources so I'll answer in some paces...

the "Gruppo Manari": first of all in my sources the name of commander is Munari and not Manari but it's confirmed was a lt.col. of Bersaglieri. It was formed mainly by a bulk of three companies of replacements for Celere division which had been blocked in Tcherkowo December 17, a mix of personnel of many services. There was a Comando Tappa in Tcherkowo but it's not clear if Munari had arrived with the troops or was the officer charged of Comando Tappa. In this case, the Corti's claim had not been so much wrong. It seems that this group enlarged when people coming from the first line started to retreat on tcherkowo probably incorporating some bersaglieri of 3rd

the "Gruppo Capizzi": it was formed by:
-the bulk of 37th Infantry Regiment
-a nucleus of 38th Infantry including the commander
-a company of III mortar battalion
-part of II/121th artillery battalion (without guns)
-other personnel, unspecified

plus the Huffmann KG. The two halves of division will group again January 18, 1943

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:22 pm by Abel Ravasz

Hi Lupo,

thanks for the reply.

"Gruppo Manari": first of all in my sources the name of commander is Munari and not Manari but it's confirmed was a lt.col. of Bersaglieri.​

Manari / Munari is found in three sources, and all spell him with "a":

1. Corti

2. "A Cerkowo il 13 era giunto Virginio Manari con i complementi che non si erano riuniti al Reggimento a Meskoff.
Il fronte è frantumato, la ritirata ingoia interi reparti e nell'abitato si insinuano i primi carri armati russi.
Manari si prepara alla difesa e per giorni e giorni lotta, corpo a corpo, come uno qualsiasi dei suoi bersaglieri.
Gli è a fianco il dalmata Enzo Drago, grande cuore di bersagliere e trascinatore di reparti nella lotta disperata.
E' tutta gente già provata nei combattimenti della valle di Arbusow e venuta a Cerkowo in cerca di un po' di riposo, ma questo è un punto obbligato per le truppe che ripiegano e bisogna difenderlo il più a lungo possibile.
I russi premono disperatamente sul caposaldo con ogni specie di artiglieria e di mortai che producono immensi vuoti nelle file italiane e tedesche.
La notte di fine anno Manari è ferito, e il giorno dopo, capodanno 1943, piega la testa fra le braccia del caporale maggiore Antonio Loizzi e la sua salma calerà nella bara di ghiaccio con il piumetto e la divisa logora bucata da tanti colpi.
Sotto la guida di un altro valoroso bersagliere, il maggiore Cesare Massone, Cerkowo regge ancora per parecchi giorni e i difensori scrivono un'altra pagina degna di ricordo nella storia del Reggimento.
Il 18 gennaio con i fanti dell'80° e con i reparti tedeschi ormai fusi in unico blocco si aprono un varco nelle linee avversarie e ripiegano verso luoghi più sicuri: verso la salvezza."

From http://www.anbdesenzano.com/Russia/russia2.php . I don't know how far can this site be trusted, but it seems fairly accurate.

3. Kriegstagebuch of the I./SS Pol Reg 1

"... Kampfgruppe Göller
CO: Obst Dr. Göller, W.
[...]
4. Kpo ... Centraris ... (PM 139) ...Liethie, Antonio
Trp SMG ... (Zen Chamillo) ... Marnari, Virginio"

So it could either be Manari, Munari and even Marnari... strange.
Do You think it is possible that an officer of the Bersaglieri was in command of a Comando di Tappa?
Any idea what is this "4. Kpo Centraris" mentioned above? And what should "Trp SMG" and "Zen Chamillo" mean?

Thanks for the superb data on Capizzi, and waiting for any further data to come.

Thanks a lot,

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:51 pm by FB
Hi, if I may jump in:

Zen Chamillo should (or could) be a name: Mr. Camillo Zen (what rank?).

Zen is a not very common family name in Veneto, Camillo is a fairly common name.

PM 139 = Posta Militare 139, perhaps. Posta Militare = Military Post and I think that its feldpostnummer in German (or something like that).

Are these names and abbreviation coming from something written in German? I don't know if the Germans usually kept foreign abbreviation used by their allies or translated/adapted them in their accounts/diaries.

Best regards

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:50 am by Abel Ravasz

Hi FB,

this is coming from a German unit diary, and these should be Italian abbreviations mixed with German ones, I'm not sure, we've not been able to decypher them yet.

PM could be an Italian Feldpostnumber. Are there any experts on this available here?

Zen Chamillo - appears at the place where field post numbers do. Maybe he should be kind of contact person to this group??? Either way, this is very strange.

Lupo wrote:"Gruppo Manari" [...] was formed mainly by a bulk of three companies of replacements for Celere division which had been blocked in Tcherkowo December 17, a mix of personnel of many services.​

Were these companies "march companies" - that is, mostly w/o guns, unexperienced; or were these companies of people coming back from leave and sick leave, returning to the division? These two types of unit have a great difference in effectivity.

Lupo wrote:
Abel wrote:- where was the group assigned at Chertkovo? To the Pasubio, or to Lerici directly?​

in general terms, question is meaningless. Italian forces were no more organized units after Arbusowo​

Probably You are right, but I'm trying to get an insight into the command chain of the Italian troops in the city, and this info is needed for that. But You're right in a sense, what is more important to me is to know the structure of the 3 Gennaio parts that were trapped inside Chertkovo - for some of its sub-units were with the Blocco Sud.

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:18 am by Abel Ravasz

Hi all,

I'm not pushing or anything but...

I have received lots of excellent help from You, but some important issues still remain undiscussed.
Any answers for the following questions that remain?

- what was the approximate strength of the Torino division before the retreat?

- who was the commander of the Pasubio grouping at Chertkovo? Casassa?

- could anyone describe what exactly happened at Popovka (how did the half of the Pasubio division get separated from the main body)?

- what parts of the 3 Gennaio were cut off at Popovka? As far as I know, parts of the LXIII. and LXXIX. Support (R.E.) bns ended up with Mazzocchi column. Can anyone confirm this?

- Any info on the involvement of Italian support artillery (even without guns) at the Blocco Nord or Chertkovo?

- And a new one. Some sources mention the employment of Italian heavy AA guns against tanks. Corti mentions a sole AA battery. Is there any account of these units' activities at Chertkovo?

Your help would be appreciated,
Thanks in advance,

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:17 am by Lupo Solitario

Abel Ravasz wrote:Hi all,

I'm not pushing or anything but...

I have recieved lots of excellent help from You, but some important issues still remain undiscussed.
Any answers for the following questions that remain?

- could any one describe what exactly happened at Popovka (how did the half of the Pasubio division get separated from the main body)?

- what parts of the 3 Gennaio were cut off at Popovka? As far as I know, parts of the LXIII. and LXXIX. Support (R.E.) bns ended up with Mazzocchi column. Can anyone confirm this?

- Any info on the involvement of Italian support artillery (even without guns) at the Blocco Nord or Chertkovo?

- And a new one. Some sources mention the employment of Italian heavy AA guns against tanks. Corti mentions a sole AA battery. Is there any account of these units' activities at Chertkovo?

Your help would be appreciated,
Thanks in advance,

Abel​

sorry Abel we're actually struggling against a +37 °C temperature and an humidity close to 100%...there's a bit to wait....

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:19 am by Vitaly
Hi Guys!

Chertkovo is a very little town in the our region and it is very interesting that something was happened there, especially with Italian army. May be I can help?

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:12 am by Abel Ravasz

Hi guys,

hope weather is just as bad in Italy as it is in Slovakia... raining! But at least not so hot...

- could any one describe what exactly happened at Popovka (how did the half of the Pasubio division get separated from the main body)?

- And a new one. Some sources mention the employment of Italian heavy AA guns against tanks. Corti mentions a sole AA battery. Is there any account of these units' activities at Chertkovo?​

Apart from the questions above, yet to be answered, I've got one more after reading through the link suggested by FB (thanks!).

Where did the AT guns at Chertkovo come from? I think that most likely not from a part of the Blocco Nord, since fuel was low and also Corti reports that none of the Italian guns made it to the city. This is not 100%, but what do You think about the origins of the AT guns mentioned in that thread?

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:38 am by FB

Abel Ravasz wrote:Hi guys,

hope weather is just as bad in Italy as it is in Slovakia... raining! But at least not so hot...

- And a new one. Some sources mention the employment of Italian heavy AA guns against tanks. Corti mentions a sole AA battery. Is there any account of these units' activities at Chertkovo?​

Apart from the questions above, yet to be answered, I've got one more after reading through the link suggested by FB (thanks!).

Where did the AT guns at Chertkovo come from? I think that most likely not from a part of the Blocco Nord, since fuel was low and also Corti reports that none of the Italian guns made it to the city. This is not 100%, but what do You think about the origins of the AT guns mentioned in that thread?

Thanks,

Abel​

Just an impression, Abel, but I think that the AA guns (later used in AT role) were already at Chertkovo when the town was encircled.

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:03 am by Lupo Solitario

what we need is the dislocation of heavy AA batteries of ARMIR at december 10, 1942. They were at all 13 and it should not be impossible...

anyway they were deployed at protection of logistical centers and not on frontline, AFAIK.

Another lacking data is the structure of italian forces in Tcherkowo at the same date. Ok, they had to be mainly support personnel but anyway Tcherkowo was an important warehouse center

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:00 pm by FB

Lupo Solitario wrote:what we need is the dislocation of heavy AA batteries of ARMIR at december 10, 1942. They were at all 13 and it should not be impossible...

anyway they were deployed at protection of logistical centers and not on frontline, AFAIK.

Another lacking data is the structure of italian forces in Tcherkowo at the same date. Ok, they had to be mainly support personnel but anyway Tcherkowo was an important warehouse center​

Correct, Lupo.

Never heard of AA heavy batteries near the front line (also 20mm were a rare event there).

Do you think that the 4th AA Raggruppamento book recently published (and that I'd like to buy) can have this sort of info, like batteries displacements?

Knowing that Tcherkowo was important for the ARMIR organization was what made me think that probably an AA battery was placed there. But: was it 75/46 or 20mm?

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:59 am by Abel Ravasz

Well, it's rather a hard job to find out the positions of these AA batteries from non-Italian sources, so this one is up to You...

My feeling is that there were 75/46 guns at Chertkovo, as these are mentioned in a couple of sources, and the Blocco Nord was not in conditions to bring the guns with them.

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:29 am by Vitaly

Hi guys!

Chertkovo province were released by 35, 38, 41, 44, è 57 Soviet infantry divisions 2, 25 tank corps, 59 engineering battalion during the operation “Little Saturn”.

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:08 am by Abel Ravasz

Hi Vitalij,

thanks for the input. After a little search in my sources, almost all of those units belonged to the 1. Guards Army of the Southwestern Front.

1. Guards Army 15/12/42
Structure of 1 Guards Army on December 15 1942 (3 formings):

4. GRC - 35. GRD, 41. GRD, 195. RD
6. GRC- 38. GRD, 44. GRD, 1. RD
18. TC
24. TC
25. TC
153. RD
direct assets (engineer, artillery, anti-tank, etc units)​

The 2. TC was part of the Southern Front reserves, possibly redirected to the 1. Guards Army.

Is it possible that Your list is missing the regular rifle divisions? For all Guards division of this army are listed, but no regular, and I haven't heard about a separation of Guards and non-Guards divisions within this army (f.i. see Lelushenko).

If so, we could theoretize that the infantry force of the 1. GA, plus the 25. and 2. TCs (18. TC and 24. TC diverted towards different directions) were the ones that pushed towards Chertkovo.

Thanks, Vitalij!

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:51 am by Vitaly

Hi Abel!

GRD is also regular division. The calling "Guard" received units for the succeses in the battles. It was collective award.

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:08 am by Abel Ravasz

What I meant by regular was non-Guards, I should've expressed myself more explicitly. What I was trying to say is that Your list is missing the non-Guards divisions of the army. I don't think that the 1. Guards Army worked in a guards and a non-guards contingent, so I must suppose that the non-Guards divisions were also in action at the Chertkovo district. I might be wrong, though.

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:17 am by Vitaly
To say exactly Guard division is not right. I think right Guardian division. "Guard" in English is defend, save something. Russian translation guard is "ohrana". Russian word "gvardia" has another sence. In 1941 Stalin decided to award the military units name "gvardia". All solders of this units received special badge (http://www.komi.com/nagrada/main/med_25 ... =2&page=25).
Now I have information only from one article. It say all Rifle divisions in Tchertkovo were guardian.

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:57 am by Gian

Russian translation guard is "ohrana".​
Does the meaning have anything to do with "Okhrana", i.e. the Czarist secret police??
Russian word "gvardia" has another sence.​
By the way, I own a flask bearing a red flag and a star and the inscription "Gvardia" in cyrillic. I understand that it is the symbol of the 13th Div. which fought at Stalingrad.