• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Combeforce

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I am attempting to establish the actual lay-down of Combeforce on the morning of 6 Feb 1941. From the materials to which I have access, there are several significant variations to the positioning of the various companies/squadron/batteries. I am hoping that someone here has access to the war diaries of the various units that could provide primary source information.

Latimer’s Operation Compass 1940 (pp.75-76) has C/11 H to the west of the road, A Coy blocking the road, two coys east of the road, with one coy in reserve behind the two companies, along with the artillery. A/KDG is south of the position watching for Italian movement from the south.

Desert Rats has A and B Coys astride the road, S Coy between the road and the sea, and C Coy in reserve west of the road. C/11 H is east of the road and the artillery is behind the infantry (possibly west of the road).

Dando's The impact of terrain on British operations and doctrine in North Africa 1940-1943 p.59 states the artillery was 4 miles east (I assume of the road). The cite is the 11H War Diary.

Playfair and Macksey's Beda Fomm lack tactical detail.

Any assistance?

Grazie! Jeff

Slavomir

Don't have the 2RB WD so cannot confirm the location of the companies. A Coy appears in WD of 11H as taking over from 11H Agedabia midday 7 FEB, and there is my question mark. Would really Renton send A Coy if that was the company actually sitting on the road for two days in blocking position and taking the brunt of fire and Italian attacks? I am not saying it is impossible, but if I were him, I would send my reserve company...

Location of the artillery is possible, but only possible. The WD of 11H says that RHQ took the position in Sidi Saleh and then "The guns were positioned and Rifle Bde took up positions on the road". Sidi Saleh is roughly 4 Km from the road... but that would be rather a huge guess as WD does not say specifically where guns were positioned. They should be located close to 2RB positions as of 6 FEB C Sqdr protects right-wing of 2RB and gun positions. I have read in one book that on 7 FEB the final charge of Italian tanks was stopped by 25pdrs shooting at point-blank... so my guess would be west of the road, but close to the blockade, at least one troop...

C Sqdr 11H would be east of the road as they were covering terrain between 2RB and 4th Armd Bde (and gun positions).

B Sqdr KDG (not A as noted by Latimer) had two troops 10 miles south and southeast of the blockade patroling. Two other troops with Sqdr HQ were in the morning refueling close to the blockade. Later that day B Sqdr KDG would operate south but also southwest as far as Zuetina.

Best regards

Last edited:

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you Slavomir

Andreas was able to track down a copy of the 2RB WD. The events of 5-7 Feb are hand written and faint, so it will take me a little time to decipher. It also has dropped a little on my to-do list as the details of the action on the morning of 6 Feb are now less important due to a new future plan.

RE: Artillery. Good point about the point-blank engagement of the artillery.

RE: 11 Hussars. There is no doubt they moved around a lot. There are accounts that the squadron also cleaned-up/stop forces trying to move down the coastline.

RE: KDG. Are you saying that B sqdn was with Combeforce? Or is it that the other sqdns arrived on the 6 Feb and relieved A sqdn?

Pista! Jeff

Slavomir

Andreas was able to track down a copy of the 2RB WD. The events of 5-7 Feb are hand written and faint, so it will take me a little time to decipher
That would be great to see. Would you please share your findings?

Artillery:
Definitely, they were not staying all the time in one place. Maybe they started in the vicinity of Sidi Saleh, but at least one section joined B Sqdr KDG, together with two AT guns to support 2RB.
Moreover, WD 3H states that at 15.50 a troop of 25pdrs opened fire on the enemy just from behind the positions of 3H (which at this moment was a bit to the north (or north-north-west) from Beda Fomm.

KDG:
I do not know from where Latimer took the A Sqdr, because the first time I had read about B Sqdr/KDG attached to Combeforce in Playfair (Footnote 2 on p. 357, ed. 2004). Also, WD 1.KDG states that it was B Sqdr (MAJ Crossley) joined 11.H on 2 FEB. RHQ and C Sqdr left Qassassin en route to Libya on 9 FEB, A Sqdr started their movement on 17 FEB.
It looks that despite popular belief Dragoons took an active role in the battle supporting 2.RB, especially on 5 FEB (Sqdr was reinforced by section of 25pdrs and two AT guns). The WD claims that it was B Sqdr to be the first on the road, before 2.RB. The fight was quite intensive and 4th Troop CO Lt Cubbit AC was hit and destroyed. KDG tried also to cover the left flank but reported that some Italians got through. One AC was destroyed by Italian AT guns.
On the 6 FEB KDG sent two troops for patrols to the south and south-east from the blockade, the rest after refueling was operating mainly between the road and the sea, trying to stop infiltrating Italians. They also captured fort SIDI FRAGI and Zuettina.
The WD confirms also that at least two Italian columns broke through along the road during the night 6/7 FEB (one must be column led by Col Grande).

Regards