• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Dicat-Maca defense of Golfo Napoli-Salerno 1943

Hi
For many years now I have tried to answer this question but I have never been able to give it an exhaustive answer. I would therefore like to look for a collaboration with the members of this forum to try to put together the information in my possession now ....
Thanks in advance

For june 1943 I have four groups MACA 72-73-74-75 but no batteries numbers.........
If someone have answers ????????
All the best
Maurizio

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Difficult question Maurizio. I checked the few books I have that covers the period and found nothing. I found that the 19ª and 21ª Legione MACA were the higher-level units, but no battery numbers.

Pista! Jeff

Dili

Some disconnected data i have:

13 Batteries at start.

OCT 42(said to be Corpi di Armata territoriale , unclear if part of MACA) 6 oerlikon 20, 86 breda 20, 40 37/54, 206 st etienne, 20 fiat 35, 7 breda 37
source: L'Italia in guerra 1940-43 https://books.google.pt/books/about/L_Italia_in_guerra_1940_43.html

Sul finire del 42, alla foce del Sarno dal lato Castellammare, fu costruito un grosso bunker in calcestruzzo (oggi coperto in parte dalla sabbia) di come se ne vedono ancora sull'autostrada dopo Torre del Greco, vi furono montati due cannoni da 88 tedeschi. Questa batteria denominata B1 + B2, entrò in funzione una sola volta, il 9 settembre del 43 quando gli alleati sbarcarono a Salerno ed un paio di navi si affacciarono verso la Punta della Campanella. In complesso spararono sette od otto colpi.

Sul molo foraneo, a difesa del cantiere navale, trovò posto una batteria della DICAT (Difesa Controaerea Territoriale) costituita da quattro pezzi da 90/42. Per la difesa dei cantieri AVIS e CMI nelle località ANN.unziatella, Petraro e fiume Sarno furono poste analoghe batterie. All'ANN.unziatella c'era la stazione di punteria e della direzione del tiro che forniva i dati anche a quella del molo foraneo che vedeva i bersagli in tutt'altra prospettiva.

Sul terreno di questa villa(Pozzuoli), nel corso della “Seconda Guerra Mondiale” si installa la 186° Batteria, con pezzi pesanti da 76/40, del LXXIV Gruppo inserito nella 19° Legione della Milizia Artiglieria Contraerei.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=125538&start=30 some French 75/51 near Naples

Capua, per la presenza di industrie belliche, sin dai primi giorni di guerra, ebbe una “sua” contraerea, Il comandante, napoletano, era il “seniore” (capitano) Genois Le postazioni, una decina ... mentre le armi erano vecchie mitragliatrici antiaeree S. Etienne, residuato della 1ª guerra mondiale. http://www.capuaonline.it/blocknotes/03/lug/index1.html

Batt. 90/53. Napoli. 1941,
Batt. 90/53. Castellammare
Guasti alle armi contraeree da 20 OK-Oerlikon (Napoli)

---

Jeff i have the 21 Legion at Catanzaro so a bit more South.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I don't claim any expertise on this matter. :(

I have little, if any knowledge of DICAT/MACA and don't any good sources. All I did was look at the MACA units in the 7th Army AOR. I have no idea where they were located.

Pista! Jeff

Dili

Not only you :) , we are pretty much very limited regarding DICAT/MACA knowledge. I don't even know if there is a detailed book on it.

In effect......very difficult question.......only a few books with a little bit of informations....anyway thankyou for the infos.....
note ) The 75/51 guns were part of 23.o Gruppo REI (contraereo) raised 1942 with some ex french guns send by german
the 186.a batteria was in effect part of 74.o Gruppo DICAT-MACA but...........the problem Is that I have this battery also in Milmart list........mah?????
All the best
Maurizio

Dili

So those french AA are army guns then. Btw i have XXIII Gruppo raised in 1941 not 42 but this was just a guess. Do you have the date?

Only the year .......not the month........
All the best
For the Dicat-Maca the difficult thing it's not only the location of the batteries but also if they are Regio Esercito, MACA-DICAT or Milmart.....Often also the Sme files are obscure and often in conflict one to other.......
Maurizio