• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Did Gambara sabotaged Rommel?

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
What is your opinion?

Pista! Jeff

Dili

I don't think i know of the combat enough to pass judgment. It seems fishy that the armored units were not employed on time, but could be just incompetence, communications issues, Rommel asking impossible things.

Andreas

I have the book by Trizzoni, I think the guy is barking.

The Germans didn't care about Trieste, they needed Ariete to move to Bir Bu Cremeisa. Ariete received the order on 4 December clearly specifying to get going that evening and to complete the move during the night, and then spent all of 5 December stationary. Not sure how Gambara is to blame for this.

All the best

Andreas

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I hope to come back to this topic. I need to get a few things completed first.

Dili

Thanks.
We can also expand it later to the Italian German relations and disagreements that influenced combat.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I have begun to research this issue. My challenge is trying to establish what is the real charge against Gambara and understanding the situation at the time he is accused of some failure. The Wiki article is so poorly written that I can't really get a sense of the issue. I have reread the chapter on Gambara in Rommel's Italian Generals in North Africa which isn't much better. Of course Montanari's volume II is my main source.

Crusader is a very confusing battle (as the real individuals discovered) and Gambara's dual role at the time doesn't help. Pinning down the actual communications/orders will be essential to the discussion.

I am hesitant to obtain a copy of Trizzino, but that might be necessary for the discussion.

Pista! Jeff