• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Different M13 series I,II,III

Bluebeta from the wt forum highlighted the differences between the M13's series.

20210306_083553.png

20210306_083843.png

20210306_083737.png

20210306_083647.png

The bulge in the top turret was created to make room for the newer semi auto 47/32.Semi auto in this case means the breech would automatically eject the previous round and stay open to recieve the next round, thus saving a little time during reload. The bulge in the turret didn't add any additional gun depression from the previous set up, it was simply added to fit the new gun.

For the other differences, I'm not sure. The old Commando Supremo forum had a good post from david or jeff that described the other differences better than I could.

Not really highlighted in the pictures because of the angle, I would also add that the front plate (casemate) housing the twin mg was different on series 1. Though, that may have been the pre production version. I'm not sure about that one. I'll post the picture when I find it.

Last edited:
I believe so. They seem to match.

From Jim H article about the M14 on the home page:

"Fiat M14/41 had different outlet radiator grills, mud clearing blades at the drive sprockets and elongated fender"

Fiat-M1441-1024x706.jpg

Jim H's M13 article:
m1340-tobruk-1942-1024x633.jpg

From article: M13 around Tobruk dated 1942.

Not sure about the other 2 series. I'll try to find that old article.

Kustosz2137

M13/40 of the 1st series had long but thinn fenders with open oval holes (WT doesn't shows it correctly), no radio, manual turret drive and loading system, 2 spare road wheels at the back and jack on front fender, early 'box' shaped radiator cover, longitudinal grills and flat turret roof.

M13/40 of the 2nd series had short but thicker fenders with open oval holes, recived a radio, electric turret drive and semi-automatic gun reloading system, only 1 spare road wheel and jack moved to the place of previous second wheel at the back, still same early radiator cover, longitudinal grills and flat turret roof. Max. depression of the gun was reduced from -15° to -10° due to new loading system.

M13/40 of the 3rd series had only few differences from previous series and they were: new 'mushroom' shaped radiator cover, little "box" at the turret roof to increase max. gun depression again to - 15° and smoother mufflers.

M14/41 returned to long fenders (first 50 tanks still had short ones) but this time they were additionally reinforced, recived new engine that changed grills to transversal ones, oval holes on fenders were hidden under little plates and at the end of production recived mud clearing blades behind sprockets and new 47/40 gun. WT shows jack position incorrectly, it should remain at the back of the hull.

Last edited:

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
WT is War Thunder?

Is there a single authoritative work on the M13 series?

Pista! Jeff

Kustosz2137

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Grazie! That is a pretty good site. Doesn't include the M15/42, but I assume that it is limited to those tanks that were deployed to A.S.

Kustosz2137

I think it's beacause M15/42 was so different from previous tanks that there is no problem to recognize it. For example side hatch on the other side is so explicit that even newbie can notice it. Ofc there may be more reasons ^^'