• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Dog Drafting/Sled use by Sciatori battaglioni

Saetta

Hello,

I came across an interesting video of what appears to be training Alpini of a sciatori battaglione, and they do appear to be well equipped with cavalry carbines, winter Giubba, and Vibram sole ski boots. The title page suggests this is the Monte Cervino, although dated a bit early for their formation if I'm not mistaken. The date provided is February 23rd, 1940 so this may be at the Alpine Military School of Aosta. I noticed an interesting scene with use of Dog sled seemingly used to transport supplies to the men.

Is there any further reference of dogs in use by the Alpini or Sciatori logistical/support components? The breed of the dog in the video looks like a Shepard and not terribly suitable for the type of terrain (compared to a breed like a Husky capable of withstanding extreme temperatures).

Grazie!
Chris

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the film is talking about the Guardia alle frontier (GaF). The Monte Cervino in the film is the mountain, not the unit. I can't tell from the film the type of boots, as the original boots were make from the issued ski boots with the Vibram sole replacing the leather. Given the date, it is very unlikely they are Vibram.

The men are using regular leather gear, not ski equipment. In one frame I though the fregio looked like Guardia and looked nothing similar to alpini.

The sled used by the Cervino were a specially made aluminum sleds, design to be pulled by men. The battaglione never used dogs. :(

Pista! Jeff