• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Double Characters for CCNN and GGFF

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 31 August 2005 by Fanatic_Blitzer

I have a question (I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum), why do the Camicie Nere and the Giovani Fascisti units have double characters in the name? Like CCNN and GGFF.

-------------

Posted 31 August 2005 by FB

Fanatic_Blitzer said:
I have a question (Im not sure if Im posting this in the right forum), why do the Camicie Nere and the Giovani Fascisti units have double characters in the name? Like CCNN and GGFF.

Because they are both acronyms of plural expressions, and in Italian, you use to double the letter in the acronym if the word is plural.

So if the expression would have been singular, for instance, Camicia Nera (Black Shirt), its acronym would be CN (and you can find it sometimes, and it refers to one single man with its rank of Camicia Nera); the same with Giovane Fascista (Young Fascist), the acronym would be GF, one single man.

Best regards

--------------

Posted 31 August 2005 by Fanatic_Blitzer

Thanks, I really appreciate it. It makes more sense now. :)