• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Engravings on knife handle

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 27 May 2004 by Billie

Hi,
I have this dagger with a wood handle and it has engravings all over it. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they were? I don't know if it is in Italian or what. First there is, VCS MO.RBO and then what looks like a backward C and ISOV, The Sheath of the knive has a logo like the one on the front page of this site with the upright log and the axe, and MVSN under it. Any ideas would be apprecieated.

Thanks,
Billie

------------

Posted 27 May 2004by FB

Billie said:
Hi,
I have this dagger with a wood handle and it has engravings all over it. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they were? I don't know if it is in Italian or what. First, there is VCS MO.RBO and then what looks like a backward C and ISOV, The Sheath of the knife has a logo like the one on the front page of this site with the upright log and the axe, and MVSN under it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Billie

Hi,

MVSN = Milizia Volonatria Sicurezza Nazionale (these were the so called Camicie Nere = Black Shirts).

Since this appears to be an MVSN bayonet, VCS could stand for Vice Capo Squadra = Deputy Squad Leader that was the equivalent for the MSVN of a Caporal Maggiore of the Army.

I'm sorry but I really don't know what the other letters are, maybe a name or something. Maybe a picture can help, if you can post one.

Best regards

------------

Here are the photos. I took a couple of closeups of the lettering, tried to focus best I could. Hope they help. Pictures wouldn't upload here, so I'll try to get them to pop up from their links. If all else fails the pictures are here.

back.jpg

front.jpg

morbo.jpg

hilt.jpg

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 27 May 2004 by Arditi

Very nice example Billie. I like the examples that have "been there...done that". This is also a nice representative piece of one that was carved...I like that many of these were personalized by the individual soldier. Billie, can you tell us more about this specimen? Where you got it, etc.? Thanks for posting, Arditi

-------------

Hi,

My dad gave it to me to see what I could find on it. He's had it sitting around outside in the shed for years. My mom thinks it's her fathers, cause he was in WWII, My dad isn't sure. So, I'm going to say, it's just been hanging around for a while. So anyone have any ideas on it or it's lettering?

Thanks for all your replies, they're great! :)

Billie

------------

Posted 22 June 2004 by Billie

Hi,
I just wanted to update and let anyone know who's interested that my dad has decided to sell the dagger.
Thanks to all of your help with it I wanted to let you know if you were wanting it. :) I can post a link to the auction if anyone is interested or you can email me and request it.