• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Faccette Nera the story behind the song - HELP!!

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 19 September 2004 by Sergemaster

Here is the story on how and who the song "Faccetta Nera" from 1936 is based on. Can someone please translate it into English so we can finally find out who was Faccetta Nera??

28-07-2000 MUSICA: ''FACCETTA NERA'', C'E' LA FOTO DI CHI LA ISPIRO' MASSA (MASSA CARRARA - Una bambina vestita con un abitino che spicca sulla pelle scura e lo sguardo divertito, attorniata da soldati italiani. Sarebbe questa la foto della piccola che ispiro' durante il fascismo la canzone ''Faccetta nera''. La foto, pubblicata oggi dalla cronaca di Massa del quotidiano La Nazione, e' in realta' una cartolina che il console Andrea Michele Galeotti invio' ai parenti nel 1936. A trovarla e' stato il figlio del console, Giuseppe Galeotti: a quel tempo il padre era aiutante maggiore della 135/a legione ''Indomita'' della milizia fascista che partecipo' alla battaglia dell' Amba Aradam. E proprio Maria Vittoria Aradam fu il nome dato alla bimba che, ritratta con l' ufficiale nella foto, venne ''trovata dai militi della 135/a legione'', dice la didascalia della cartolina, durante la battaglia del 15 febbraio 1936. Quella foto sarebbe una conferma della testimonianza di Joannes Brahane che nel 1995, allora studente universitario a Udine, disse di essere il figlio di ''Faccetta nera'', cioe' della donna che, da bambina, venne trovata dai soldati italiani dopo la battaglia nella quale era stata uccisa la madre, cioe' la nonna dello studente, che la aveva avuta proprio con un soldato italiano. ''Faccetta nera'' sarebbe stata poi affidata alle suore di Sant' Anna all' Asmara. Cinque anni fa Brahane chiese che alla madre fosse riconosciuta la pensione.(ANSA).

Alcuni anni fa' il Giornalista Gaspare Di Sclafani del settimanale "Oggi" pubblicava su quel giornale un servizio nel quale si raccontava la storia di un'orfanella dell'Asmara, la capitale dell'Eritrea, che fu una delle colonie italiane dell'Italia fascista. "Faccetta nera" vive ancora, ha oggi presumibilmente 69 anni (l'età esatta non la conosce neppure lei) si chiama Vittoria Aradam, viveva all'Asmara quando il giornalista l'incontrò, si chiama Vittoria Aradam, e sposata ed e' madre di tre figli. Vittoria era una bimbetta di un paio d'anni, rimasta orfana. Venne trovata in lacrime e tremante di paura e fu raccolta dalle truppe italiane all'Amba Aradam, durante le prime fasi della campagna d'Etiopia. I legionari italiani l'adottarono e divenne la loro mascotte. Il nome e cognome che porta glieli diedero proprio i soldati italiani che vollero festeggiare l'esito della battaglia dell'Amba Aradam.

--------------------

Posted 25 September 2004 by Gian

Here is the translation of that interesting and informative, albeit poorly written and gossip-bordering article. By the way, there is a street in Rome named after this mountain.
Furthermore, in Italian, the word "ambaradam" is a colloquial term to mean a heap or large amount of stuff piled together.

July 28, 2000 MUSIC: ''FACCETTA NERA'', HERE’S THE PICTURE OF WHO INSPIRED IT

MASSA (MASSA CARRARA) – A little girl clad in a dress that stands out on the dark skin and with an amused look, surrounded by Italian soldiers. This should be the photo of the child who, during the fascist period, inspired the song “Faccetta Nera”. The picture, published today in the “Chronicles of Massa” section of the La Nazione newspaper, is actually a postcard that Consul Andrea Michele Galeotti sent to relatives in 1936. It was found by the son of the Consul, Giuseppe Galeotti: at the time his father was Adjutant Major in the 135° Legion of the MVSN “Indomitable” which took part to the battle of Amba Aradam. And exactly Maria Vittoria Aradam was the name given to the girl who, portrayed with the officer in the photo, was “found by the men of the 135° legion”, as the caption says, during the battle of February 15, 1936. That picture would be a confirmation of the testimony of Johannes Brahane, who in 1995, at the time a University student in Udine, declared to be the son of “Faccetta nera”, i.e. the woman who, as a child, was found by Italian soldiers after the battle in which was killed her mother – the student’s grandmother, who had given birth to her after the relationship with an Italian soldier. “Faccetta Nera” was then committed to the nuns of the Sant’Anna convent at Asmara. Five years ago, Brahane pleaded for his mother to be granted a pension (ANSA).

Years ago, journalist Gaspare di Sclafani of the Oggi magazine published a report in which he took up the story of a young orphan from Asmara, capital of Erithrea, one of the Italian colonies during the fascist era. “Faccetta nera” is still alive, is presumably 69 years old (she doesn’t even know her actual age), her name is Vittoria Aradam, lived at Asmara at the time of the meeting with the journalist, is married with three children. Vittoria was a little girl apparently just two years old, orphaned. She was found weeping and trembling with fear and was picked up by Italian soldiers at Amba Aradam, during the first stages of the Ethiopian Campaign. The Italian legionaries adopted her and she became their mascot. The name and surname she bears were actually bestowed on her by the Italian troops to feast the favorable outcome of the Amba Aradam battle.

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 26 September 2004 by urza1

Wow!
I never head about "facceta nera" origin 8)

Nice info :!:

bye,see ya,gabriele

(anyone has the pic mentioned on his pc? )

-----------------

Posted 26 September 2004 by Gian

Il Giornale also covered the story long ago, say back in mid-2003. The article was well laid out with many pictures, including that of the postcard. I kept it aside but unfortunately, I do not remember where I put it! :(

-----------------

Posted 27 September 2004 by Sergemaster

Here is a pic of Maria Vittoria Aradam I would say taken in her teens.

faccettanera1.jpg

And this one I would say in her sixties.
faccettanera2.jpg

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 29 March 2008 by Granatiere

It's a very nice story but also totally fake. Faccetta Nera was written in early 1935 by Renato Micheli, originally in Roman dialect, and later in Italian. the music was by Mario Ruccione, and was a song by Carlo Buti.
The song has nothing to do with the later Amba Aradam battle (where ras Mulughieta's Mahel Safari Army was defeated by Badoglio in feb., 1936) The true story is in R. Micheli, Storia della canzone Romana, Rome 1995.

---------------

Posted 29 March 2008 by BRY

It's a very nice story but also totally fake. Faccetta Nera was written in early 1935 by Renato Micheli, originally in Roman dialect, and later in Italian. the music was by Mario Ruccione, and was song by Carlo Buti.
The song has nothing to do with the later Amba Aradam battle (where ras Mulughieta's Mahel Safari Army was defeated by Badoglio in feb., 1936) The true story is in R. Micheli, Storia della canzone Romana, Rome 1995.

------------------

Posted 29 March 2008 by Granatiere

yes, it was. on the song's score Faccetta Nera is called Canzone Marcia. Strange to say, Faccetta Nera was banned in 1938 for scarce racial spirit.

------------------

Posted 07 July 2010 by Bootjacker

I have found the musical score for "Giovinezza" (Giuseppe Aldo Blanc) but I can't find the musical score for "Faccetta Nera" (Marion Ruccione, Renato Micheli). I've got the chorus down, but I need the music to the verse. Can anyone help? (I don't need the lyrics, they're everywhere, just the musical notes. Also, I've listened to the song, but I would really appreciate having the written musical score). Thanks!