• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Firing Tests of 75mm and 100mm Pronto Effetto (P.E.) Rounds

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
This is one of a series of reports either written by col. BIZZIi or collected by him. Colonello BIZZI was sent to A.S. in March 1942 to collect technical information on the functionality of Italian systems, especially armored vehicles and weapons. I am translating and posting them here. Once all the translations are completed, I will assemble them and post on the Comando Supremo main page.

The original copies of the report are from La meccanizzazione dell'Esercito fino al 1943 tomo II Documento 53. As always, any errors of translation are mine and all words/comments in [ ] are in additional to clarify understanding and enhance readability.
-----------
SHOOTING EXPERIMENT WITH P.E. FROM 75[mm] and 100[mm guns] AND WITH SOLOTHURN

On 19/III [March 19th 1941] shooting tests were carried out in the Saunnu basin with P.E. projectiles from 75[mm] and 100[mm guns] against a Mark VI tank [this is a Crusader], fired from a distance of 500 meters.

A 75[mm] hit against the right side removed about half a square meter of 30mm armor.

A 75[mm] hit against the front of the hull - 2 mated plates of 30 + 20mm. - opened the armor and crumpled the lips of the plates, also tearing the upper inclined plates for an extension of about 30 x 50 cm.

A shot from the 100[mm] opened, and partially torn the casemate front plate (2 matching plates of 20mm., That is 40 mm. in total).

A shot from the 100[mm] hit the turret, removing it and throwing it to the ground.

500 m shots were fired from the Solothurn rifle. against a «Mark 2 A 4 light tank» [this is the Mark VI Light tank].

The bullet has always clearly pierced the side of the turret, sometimes removing 25 mm. [of the] covering (one of which was delivered to the Inspectorate for Motorized and Armored Troops).

Overall, the effect of the P.E. is higher than the normal projectile.

Detailed report can be requested from Comando XXIº C d. who did the tests.

Last edited:

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I checked and you are correct. I have relooked the translation and made the change above. The original is:

Il proiettile ha sempre forata nettamente la fiancata della torre, di 25 mm. asportandone talora dei menischi (uno dei quali consegnato all’Ispettorato Truppe Motorizzata e Corazzate).

It is an odd phrasing and the use of menischi is frankly, weird. I occasionally find this style of writing in Italian reports and it can be a challenge for non-native speaks to decipher the meaning.